Best Battery ?

Noticed this morning that the car is not starting as quickly as it used too, i have a 1.9TDI 2006 Elegance, so at 7 years old i guess the battery may need a change. Any recommendations ?

Think I have a Bosch S5 in mine, not 100% sure though. If it is, it's never failed to start since I got the car in Jan 2010

Are Varta and Bosch not using the same casing, or, are Varta and Bosch both selling the same basic design and manufacture of battery, I think that is the conclusion I came to a couple of years ago when hunting down a new battery for my 2000MY B5 Passat V6 petrol. But like you, I went for the high quality S5 Bosch as Costco sold them at a very good price - though they hold a small range.

Hi, before you change the battery it may be worth running a quick test. A local Halfords will do this but don't necessarily jump to buy one from them! Bosch/Varta are good & last year I fitted a VW 'economy' battery to mine and so far well impressed for the price ;)

Are Varta and Bosch not using the same casing, or, are Varta and Bosch both selling the same basic design and manufacture of battery, I think that is the conclusion I came to a couple of years ago when hunting down a new battery for my 2000MY B5 Passat V6 petrol. But like you, I went for the high quality S5 Bosch as Costco sold them at a very good price - though they hold a small range.

dunno mate, I fix fences and knock in poles, I don't make batteries lol

Thank you for all the quick replies, i will get it checked out but i do think after 7 uk winters this recent cold snap may just be the straw that broke the Fabia's back !

Does anyone know of any relatively recent tests/reviews for car batteries? I know Auto Express did one, but that was 5 or 6 years ago!

I've been noticing my 9yo battery seams to struggle a bit in these cold temperatures, so wondering about replacing it. I just can't decide on Varta or Bosch.

My Vrs Fabia battery is about to call it a day . I ordered a Bosch S5 type 096 (now a 008) on Saturday at 3 30 pm from CarParts4Less on the net for a very reasonable £78 including delivery . To my amazement it was delivered by courier at 11 am today (Monday). Very well packed too. Will be using them again for sure .

• 3 weeks later...