BMW 335d - what the?

I'm more concerned about keeping my licence, plus it wasn't as nice inside as this which while not quite as fast was more comfortable with nicer toys.

526475_10151461819681745_1165236677_n.jpg

C250 AMG SPORT PLUS

I know not the same but I was looking at swapping my S4 for a C63 before Audi sorted me an S5 and the mrs and I couldn't believe how drab the Merc interior was. This alone put us off the Merc and for us it wasn't that nice of a place to be. The C63 seats were nice but that was it. The interface on the screen was awful as well.

Obviously each to thier own and everyone has different taste however I am a little surprised.

• Like 1

The current one yes, the previous model could be had as a manual.

Hi,

There is no 'current' 335d. The new model is, for the moment, topping out at 330d (brilliant car). Also, the 335d was never offered as a manual, to the best of my knowledge.

Edited to add that there is a current 335d, the E92. But the point about manual/auto still stands....I think!

------------------------

Huck (iPhone mode!)

Edited by Huck

Hi,

There is no 'current' 335d. The new model is, for the moment, topping out at 330d (brilliant car). Also, the 335d was never offered as a manual, to the best of my knowledge.

Edited to add that there is a current 335d, the E92. But the point about manual/auto still stands....I think!

------------------------

Huck (iPhone mode!)

Yeh the current one has 300 bhp

Yeh the current one has 300 bhp

No, the 335d has always had 286bhp and still does in E92 coupe form. The newer twin turbos for 3 and 4 series will almost certainly have variants of the 40d engines.

The 40d engines (still 3l twin turbo) range from 306bhp to 313bhp currently.

------------------------

Huck (iPhone mode!)

we've now got a Merc E250 CDI (AMG Sport Spec) - 204bph and 500nm of Torque through a 7-speed Flappy Paddle Auto Box.

It's "only" 0.6 seconds slower than the V6 CDI from merc, but comes in at a very reasonable £135 per year to Tax! - It's averaging around 40mpg at present, but upto 55 on a run. - 7.6 seconds to 60 - she cost me the same as a 2.0 170 L&K Superb Estate.

post-54202-0-29707700-1359726456.jpg

new 535d is 308 bhp and gets to 60 in 5.3 - yet is still cheap to tax.

Skoda's are left going to be left for dead off the line - with Audi are keeping all of the "good" engines to themselves.

Al.

we've now got a Merc E250 CDI (AMG Sport Spec) - 204bph and 500nm of Torque through a 7-speed Flappy Paddle Auto Box.

It's "only" 0.6 seconds slower than the V6 CDI from merc, but comes in at a very reasonable £135 per year to Tax! - It's averaging around 40mpg at present, but upto 55 on a run. - 7.6 seconds to 60 - she cost me the same as a 2.0 170 L&K Superb Estate.

post-54202-0-29707700-1359726456.jpg

new 535d is 308 bhp and gets to 60 in 5.3 - yet is still cheap to tax.

Skoda's are left going to be left for dead off the line - with Audi are keeping all of the "good" engines to themselves.

Al.

I think you are forgetting not everybody is interested in 0-60 times.

VAG offer the whole package within their brands & you may need to switch from one to another to get what you require. I think that is their aim.

Skoda brand is not marketed to compete with Mercedes, that's Audi's job. Therefore, there will always be a difference between Audi models and equivalent platform Skoda models no matter how small they might seem. What is far more interesting is that you can run an E250 for the same price as an Octy estate. If this is genuinely the case then that's what should worry VAG.

Skoda brand is not marketed to compete with Mercedes, that's Audi's job. Therefore, there will always be a difference between Audi models and equivalent platform Skoda models no matter how small they might seem. What is far more interesting is that you can run an E250 for the same price as an Octy estate. If this is genuinely the case then that's what should worry VAG.

I've came from my Superb Estate to the E Class - as i said, the E was the same price as a new Superb - To be honest, it wasn't a contest - this is of course, as the the current E Class is being facelifted - but it's only lights and bumpers - I've never had a fault (apart from peeling paint) with my Skoda and dad's got it now so it will be here for a long while to come and i still drive it.

0-60 aint important for me - but the OP's question was something along the lines of how did that get away from me! - I did drive a Volvo but it was DULL and looked at a A6 Avant with the 3L Diesel - but it was 45 grand ex demo...

Al.

If i could run a merc 250d estate auto for the same as my skoda i know which id have. I serioulsy doubt this is possible though but welcome the financial stats to prove me wrong and then i can regret my descision for the next 3 years.

The current one yes, the previous model could be had as a manual.

Having driven 325 and 330d and almost buying one, they are stunning.

It's a car I want to own at some point.

Drove one right after driving a 330d and it rolled dreadfully even with the AMG suspension and just wasn't a patch on the BMW.

I'd get the BMW every time. For those who like an armchair cruise with relentless acceleration, the a C350 isn't bad.

I opted for the Dynamic suspension and in Sport it makes a huge difference. I came from a 3.0TDi A4 (with full Drive select and sport diff) and the MB rolls very slightly more, but the extra suspension compliance makes a bigger difference. I can go round bumpy corners at speed (obviously safely :)) without being pitched off line like in the Audi or my previous BMW. I agree the new 3 series drives slightly better , but it would cost £250 a month more! and it isn't worth that. However I looked at the previous 330D at the time I cot the MB and came to the conclusion the C Class was a better car to drive in the spec I got.

Merc have some silly offers on at the moment. Seems like they were/are struggling when compared to Audi and BMW. How many A4 and 3 series' do you see around vs C-Class Mercs?

That's the reason I went Merc this time. As I posted above, the equivalent BMW to my MB would cost £250 a month more! It might be a better car in many areas, but it isn't £250 a month better. I could get a second very nice car for the winter with that. Or hire a holiday to America to stalk George Clooney (much more useful) As far as I can see, the MB sales figures are very good this year. BMW deals are very poor at the moment, but the halo effect of the new car is keeping them at the top of the relevant sales charts

No, the 335d has always had 286bhp and still does in E92 coupe form. The newer twin turbos for 3 and 4 series will almost certainly have variants of the 40d engines.

The 40d engines (still 3l twin turbo) range from 306bhp to 313bhp currently.

------------------------

Huck (iPhone mode!)

I'm pretty sure the newest 35d engine has 302 or something like that

I'd recommend a 330D to anybody!

well built sturdy cars as i found out when i had a pretty bad smash in one and i only broke my sternum :whew:

What happened? Looked like a helluva shunt.

I'm pretty sure the newest 35d engine has 302 or something like that

It's all a bit confusing but down to the not-very-intuitive nomenclature BMW uses.

Current 3 series saloon (F30) maxes out at 330d. (258bhp)

Outgoing 3 series and still current (E92) 3 series coupe has 286bhp. There is no more powerful 335d than this. This engine was also used in the older E60 535d.

Current 535d has anywhere from 300 - 313bhp for the newest. This is the upgraded 35d engine. Which, confusingly, is the same as the 40d engine which is also used in my X6, X5s and 740d . Which isn't the same as the 50d which is a tri-turbo!!

Clear as mud! Appears BMW are trying to keep using the traditional nomenclature for their established models (535d/335d) while using a higher number (40d) for their higher end models, albeit the same engine.

Just to give people an idea of leasing costs:

new 330d m sport auto with pro nav media

£299 + VAT with 3k deposit.

Mercs are cheap as chips though. The e class estate above in amg spec can be had for £269 +VAT with 6 payment deposit.

How's about a c63 AMG for £550 per month with 6 payments as deposit.

Contracthireandleasing do loads of deals but merc are pushing hard for a bigger share of the UK market. The c class c250 cdi SMG sport plus can be had for well below £280 a month if you are doing 10k miles or less.

I know some people pay more for a my12 vrs, now no matter how much you love Skoda the diesel tech available to Skoda has fell well behind.

Mercs are cheap as chips though. The e class estate above in amg spec can be had for £269 +VAT with 6 payment deposit.

Contracthireandleasing do loads of deals but merc are pushing hard for a bigger share of the UK market. The c class c250 cdi SMG sport plus can be had for well below £280 a month if you are doing 10k miles or less.

I know some people pay more for a my12 vrs, now no matter how much you love Skoda the diesel tech available to Skoda has fell well behind.

I looked at the C63, as it wouldn't be that much more than my A4 was, but as I do 30K a year, I would need to sell several of my internal organs to fund the fuel bill :( Still I got mine in one of the colours that the C63 comes in :D I buy privately and claim mileage, so using the PCP method, I haggled a deal that meant a £40K+ car cost £350 a month all in with highish annual mileage (I luckily have a Suzuki thingiemabob to help keep that mileage down a little). The same spec BMW would be £600 a month with the same deposit. The Class deals are still great and I am guessing in part due to the replacement coming out in a little over a year. The other advantage of the PCP is if MB bugger the residual values, I just hand the car back :)

Those figures are scary cheap. Will now have to try and delete them from my memory.

I never got quoted figures like that from BMW when i considered a new 520d auto touring hence why i bought the VRS. Also my previous PCP for my last BMW a 320d auto touring was way more than the figures you provided. About 50% more actually.

Those figures are scary cheap. Will now have to try and delete them from my memory.

I never got quoted figures like that from BMW when i considered a new 520d auto touring hence why i bought the VRS. Also my previous PCP for my last BMW a 320d auto touring was way more than the figures you provided. About 50% more actually.

Frontier Vehicle Leasing do some great deals

They had some BMW M3's 2dr ones for £299 + VAT with 5K down over 24 months!

Here are some Merc Deals from Concept Vehicle Leasing (and they aren't hte cheapest)

Mercedes C-Class Saloon C220 Cdi AMG Sport Auto

Business Lease from £276.99 + VAT p/m over 36 months

Personal Lease from £332.39 inc VAT p/m over 36 months

Mercedes C-Class Saloon C250 Cdi AMG Sport Auto

Business Lease from £295.49 + VAT p/m over 36 months.

Personal Lease from £354.59 inc VAT p/m over 36 months.

Mercedes E-Class Saloon E220 Cdi Avantgarde (Pre- Current) Business Lease from £243.53 + VAT p/m over 24 months

Personal Lease from £292.23 inc VAT p/m over 24 months

THE CLS BELOW CAN BE HAD FOR £299 at a lot of other places!

Mercedes CLS Coupe CLS250 Cd i Auto

Business Lease from £334.86 + VAT p/m over 24 months

Personal Lease from £401.83 inc VAT p/m over 24 months

Mercedes C-Class Estate C220 Cdi AMG Sport Auto

Business Lease from £276.79 + VAT p/m over 24 months

Personal Lease from £332.14 + VAT p/m over 24 months

Guest BigJase88

Despite the headline figures, its still a diesel. I'd much rather have the 335i, possibly even the 330i

Dont be silly! The 330i is bloody slow lol!!

The dervs will kill it