Folding mirrors and puddle lamps

Rgh999

I am having difficulty working out the best way to set this up.

If when I switch off and leave the car I hold the remote down it folds the mirrors. Alternatively I can use the switch inside to fold them before leaving the car.

On my return when I unlock the car the mirrors remain inn the folded position unless I hold the button down. Then they unfold but all the windows and roof opens as well .

If the mirrors are left folded the puddle lights don't illuminate. They only come on when the mirrors are unfolded, which defeats the objective as I want them folded when I leave the car.

Unless of course I'm missing something.

Help

I was supposed to have this option on my car but alas it arrived with an electric driver's seat but no folding mirrors... My puddle lights however work when the mirrors are (manually) folded.

So sorry I'm not of much help!

BUT the puddle lights are really only of use when you approach the car from outside - if even then as they are not very bright. When you are inside the car they puddle on the other side of the door. So as you open the door they illuminate the area to the front of the door - where you are NOT going to step... Unless I'm now missing something here? :think:

I was supposed to have this option on my car but alas it arrived with an electric driver's seat but no folding mirrors... My puddle lights however work when the mirrors are (manually) folded.

Maybe I've missed something too... how do you manually fold the non-folding mirrors? (2010 car without electric seats etc) They seemed to be very firmly set in position when I tried & I didn't want to risk damaging them.

Sorry when I say manually I meant without using the remote control. I.e turn thr rotary switch inside the car to the fold position.

They just need a firm push, you won't break anything. The daftest idea I've seen is the on the wife's Mk5 Ibiza, where the mirrors swivel UP, I thought there was a fault until I twigged it.

I just push mine back with my hand. They easily fold. I always fold the one facing the road in.

As can be seen here (and yes my fingers got dirty doing it!)

img8522i.jpg

Also not much help :giggle: , but I fitted Golf Mk4 puddle lights to my MG.

They shine red and also white light down onto the road surface inside the door - much more usesful.

Puddlelights004.jpg

They just need a firm push, you won't break anything. The daftest idea I've seen is the on the wife's Mk5 Ibiza, where the mirrors swivel UP, I thought there was a fault until I twigged it.

Quite a few cars' mirrors do that. Like the M3 and M5 BMWs and the latest curvy VW T5 mirrors:

dirty044.jpg

vw-t5gp-mirrors.jpg

Also not much help :giggle: , but I fitted Golf Mk4 puddle lights to my MG.

They shine red and also white light down onto the road surface inside the door - much more usesful.

Which is EXACTLY the conversation we went into in this thread! :giggle:

http://www.briskoda....30#entry2664894

Right down to me taking a picture of the then in the family V5 Golf IV's light:

photo1ed.jpg

And thus to go back OT: If the OP wants to see where he is stepping whilst he is inside the car the option above is the only way as this will light on the INSIDE of the door and not in front of it where you are not going to step anyway. :giggle:

I think I've lost the point here. Why have electric folding mirrors if you fold them by manually pushing them when you get out of the car. Likewise as I originally posted if you manually push them folded, when you return to the car and press the remote , the mirrors stay folded. If you hold the remote button down the mirrors will then fold out but the windows and roof also open.

I think I've lost the point here. Why have electric folding mirrors if you fold them by manually pushing them when you get out of the car. Likewise as I originally posted if you manually push them folded, when you return to the car and press the remote , the mirrors stay folded. If you hold the remote button down the mirrors will then fold out but the windows and roof also open.

I think in this thread people (as well as I) mean by manually folding to be using your HAND on the outside of the car and that our cars do NOT have electric motors in the mirrors to fold them. Your meaning of manually folding seem to be that you electrically fold your mirrors (which have motors in them to do so) but by using the knob inside the car... slightly confusing. :think:

So it is only people without the electrically folding mirrors that have to do so by hand. :giggle:

They don't all have electric folding mirrors.

I appreciate that but the whole point of my post was to establish why the electric mirrors would not unfold on returning to the car, and bringing on the puddle lamps at the same time. The puddle lamps are small lights fitted to the underside of the mirror and light up the outside of the vehicle. But they only seem to work when the mirror is unfolded, and if you remotely unlock the car on your return they don't unfold unless you hold the remote button down. If you do that the windows and roof open as well.

Ok guys confusion reigns. The original post is aimed at people who have electric folding mirrors with inbuilt puddle lamps.

My car has the elec finding mirrors, which I dislike for several reasons and would have preferred my car without them, hope we never have to replace them.. however my puddle lights come on when I open the doors whether the mirrors are folded or not.

iirc

Edited by servicepoint

My car has the elec finding mirrors, which I dislike for several reasons and would have preferred my car without them, hope we never have to replace them.. however my puddle lights come on when I open the doors whether the mirrors are folded or not.

iirc

If they are folded when you return to the vehicle do they still com on when you press the remote to unlock. Mine appear not to.

The mirrors fold out automatically when you turn the ignition key- if you used the remote to fold them when leaving the car. If it's dark then the headlights come on when you unlock the car with the remote therefore providing far more light for approaching the car than the puddle lights would do. Similarly on leaving the car in the dark the lights remain lit for a period after locking the car to allow you move away safely.

The mirrors fold out automatically when you turn the ignition key- if you used the remote to fold them when leaving the car. If it's dark then the headlights come on when you unlock the car with the remote therefore providing far more light for approaching the car than the puddle lights would do. Similarly on leaving the car in the dark the lights remain lit for a period after locking the car to allow you move away safely.

So when do the puddle lights in the mirror come on then.

If it's dark then the headlights come on when you unlock the car with the remote therefore providing far more light for approaching the car than the puddle lights would do. Similarly on leaving the car in the dark the lights remain lit for a period after locking the car to allow you move away safely.

Only for those who have the auto light option (not everybody) and leave the vehicle with the auto light option selected. (Not everybody likes the auto light option who has it!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

So when do the puddle lights in the mirror come on then.

Mine see to come on all the time day or night, pushed in or out, but alas, I don't have those motors like you do. My vehicle was also supposed to come with them but due to a **** up with SUK and their marketing dept (nothing unusual there I hear you say) several of us who were expecting them with our electric chair didn't get them. :sad:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I just push mine back with my hand. They easily fold. I always fold the one facing the road in.

As can be seen here (and yes my fingers got dirty doing it!)

img8522i.jpg

Nice bit of parking there Johann ... didn't realise your Yeti was an invalid carriage. :giggle:

Nice bit of parking there Johann ... didn't realise your Yeti was an invalid carriage. :giggle:

Duly noted in Johanns 'Dirty' thread Bob and also corrected - the lines shouldn't be there.

Johann must have used water based paint to paint over them :D

• Like 2

Duly noted in Johanns 'Dirty' thread Bob and also corrected - the lines shouldn't be there.

Johann must have used water based paint to paint over them :D

No, my Council used the water based paint!

My puddle lights are connected to the interior lights. So whenever you open a door and the interior lights go on the puddle lights come on as well.