Protection of the rear seat armrest pads and boot blind

33q

Johann, what are your thoughts on Anna Netrebko - referring to her voice of course...........

Just googled her - looks like another fine singer :giggle:

Bringing us back on topic.....mind you she was good.....

The cover is 1120mm wide at the top, 990 mm at the bottom. It's 630mm high.

I tapered the sides in from midway down

Here is photo with it removed from the car

post-62147-0-01769800-1365181166_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info Nigel, I'll get some black carpet and have a go at making one. I thought straight away there was an achilles heel with loading the rear with the soft seat backs
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello Nigel

Just to update you on this subject. I made a cover over the last weekend using your measurements. The only difference I made was to add some lightwight board between the carpet and hot melted glued some binding fabric (sides) and rubber at the base. A length of velcro at the rear and it gripped the parcel shelf perfectly. Photo's as follows:

med_gallery_21358_794_635716.jpgmed_gallery_21358_794_522294.jpg

med_gallery_21358_794_280156.jpgmed_gallery_21358_794_38972.jpg

• Like 3

@jonceebee:really nice job you did there, well done! Can I bring mine across the Channel for some upgrading? :)

I'll come over to you on an expenses paid holiday and do it. Up and until retiring I was employed by a German company and I am missing the trips to your wonderful country and the hospitality etc.

Maybe we will be able to work something out ;) As for the Germany - I can only say that I totaly agree with you, since I am foreigner here myself. Once again, you did an amaying job with your boot, I do hope, that I will be able to come close to have a similar result.

Best regards and have a nice day!

• Like 1

Great job it does look like a professionally made part, would it be possible to give a bit more information about the materials used and method adopted.

What do you do with it when you have the seats dropped down

My Yeti is not due for a few more weeks yet but it does look like something I will be fitting

When the seats are dropped flat I use the blind to protect the seat backs by just laying it on top. Works well.

Measurements are in post 21 above and I have described how to make one. Happy to add any detail you need just ask....Nigel

When the seats are dropped flat I use the blind to protect the seat backs by just laying it on top. Works well.

Measurements are in post 21 above and I have described how to make one. Happy to add any detail you need just ask....Nigel

I have added a strip of velcro along the back which adheres to the tailgate cover and stays in place when the seats are dropped blocking of the boot area, but as Nigel states you can pull away and lay on top of the rear seats for additional protection, best of both worlds
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I know it's an "old post" but I'd like to thank you guys for the info. I had a Rav4 and currently a Tiguan... A Yeti is on order.

To be honest my way of hiding stuff in the boot, when the rear armrest is lowered, is putting a Costco branded cool bag standing upright, held in place by a few Velcro pads.... Not a great look but did the job.

I will now find some carpet and using your very kindly supplied measurements (the carpet's, not yours!) I will make the very professional looking addition. However my DIY skills mightn't make it look quite as good but better than my Costco cool bag!

I did update mine to black carpet and used a thin ply stiffener as per jonceebee.

It looks neater but not being as flexible is also a slight compromise in ease of removal and no good if you want to split the seats etc

• Like 1

Thanks Nigel. I really appreciate the advice. All I need now it the car to put it in! I see you have the DSG... Its a seven speed on the Tig and I was concerned its only a six speed on the Yeti, but it seemed fine on the demo.

I too am an ex Tiguan owner. 170 six speed manual though. The tiguan went back after my redundancy/retirement and I had a used cmax for about 18 months but managed to get a cancelled order Yeti. 2 years on I still think its a great car.

• 2 weeks later...

A cracking idea. Thanks for the tip. I raided the schoolcaretakers shipping container of bits this week and found rolls of hard wearing, stick it down carpet in brown, blue/green and a purple-ish colour. I've cut a lump off the later and will tweak the size a ta later date.

Colin

I always envied the Vauxhall roller shutter blind load cover,

I made one up for a Fiesta I owned from a sofa spring saver

for a few quid, similar to this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Savers-Rejuvenator-Boards-Support-purchased/dp/B00J2UBTMW/ref=sr_1_5?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1411148245&sr=1-5&keywords=sofa+support+boards

I have not tried with the Yeti, Yeti :notme:

I have just seen the pictures put on the forum by JonB and have to say I think the Gobi Sand Leather looks absolutely fantastic. Very classy. The result is I have contacted the dealer and changed from black leather to Gobi Sand.

The link to Amazon from Gumdrop is very interesting. These appear to be a good colour to cover the gap when the armrest is down. I'll have to check the sizes as to see which one (2 or 3 seater) would fit best.

• 6 months later...

My DIY skills, on a scale of 1 to 10 are about two... I can re-set a trip fuse on our modern consumer unit!

I did try Gumdrop's idea using a sofa spring saver but I got the beige to match the Gobi Sand upholstery and it looks like a sofa spring saver dropped in behind the seats ( Perhaps I should have bought a darker colour

If Nigel or JonB started to make them commercially, I'd certainly be in the queue to buy one from them in the charcoal grey colour. If not, I'll just have to carry on using my Costco freezer bag!

I still have the mark 1 in the garage

Shame you are so far from Nottingham

Whilst the mark 2 rigid looks better, the original mark 1 is slightly easier to live with if you drop the seat often

I would happily draw you a template