Picked up your new Rapid? Don't forget to turn on/off your DRL's!

Yep good shout. Seems strange it has this button since DRLs are compulsory on new cars and you wouldn't normally have the functionality to turn off.

On a similar topic anyone know why thr dash lights aren't lit continuously in the Rapid? In most modern VW/ Audis with DRLs they stay on.

I would like to add that if you turn on your DRL lights, the cornering fog lights fucntion will not work.

DRL must be turned off in order for the cornering fog lights to function.

Yep good shout. Seems strange it has this button since DRLs are compulsory on new cars and you wouldn't normally have the functionality to turn off.

It’s only compulsory to have them fitted, you do not have to use them…madness.

a similar topic anyone know why thr dash lights aren't lit continuously in the Rapid? In most modern VW/ Audis with DRLs they stay on.

This will possibly be able to be changed with VCDS (once Ross-Tech have done an update to include the Rapid)

It also seems strange regarding the cornering lights, as they will only work when the headlights are on (so the DRL’s will be off) anyway, again it is probably going to be just a code change.

What are people's thoughts on this? I might turn mine off to save a bit of power and bulb life.

If it's murky I turn the sidelights on anyway (and get the dash properly lit up) and if it's getting dark i'll turn the main headlights on.

Personally I used to hate DRL’s as I thought it would make motorbikes not stand out as much.

But my opinion of them soon changed as increasing your visibility to other motorists and pedestrians can only be a good thing… no?

As for saving power, they are either a pair of 21W bulbs or LED’s (so likely to less than 5W for the pair)… if you are that worried about saving power then turn off your heater and radio!, the power draw they use is going to be negligible.

Obviously a bulb that is not used will last longer, but that is about as daft as what my mum does… she buys a nearly new car and straight away fits cheap and nasty seat covers ‘to protect the seats’, she mainly scraps her cars after many years, so it’s nice to know there are some nearly new seat in the scrap yard!! :think:

On a similar topic anyone know why thr dash lights aren't lit continuously in the Rapid? In most modern VW/ Audis with DRLs they stay on.

They are not compulsory here yet (Australia) , most people, even the police, don't even know what they are. As driving/fog light use is illegal in city areas, people with DRLs are getting pulled up and have to explain themselves.

I had mine turned on for ages but have had to turn them off because of all the abuse I was getting from other drivers. Knobs.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk HD

• 1 month later...

It’s only compulsory to have them fitted, you do not have to use them…madness.

This will possibly be able to be changed with VCDS (once Ross-Tech have done an update to include the Rapid)

It also seems strange regarding the cornering lights, as they will only work when the headlights are on (so the DRL’s will be off) anyway, again it is probably going to be just a code change.

The DRLs will only be lit when the parking lights and or headlights a off. Generally this is in daylight, so why would you need cornering fog lights?

I'm leaving mine turned on. Mainly because I can't be bothered with my Dad shouting at me for turning them off :giggle:

Not a bad idea, if anything for insurance purposes! :happy:

• Like 1

True! I don't know why there's a button for DRLs, since, at least in Europe, it's mandatory. Mine came turned off, but I turned them on. If its there, why not using it?

Every little helps! Might save 'em 50p per car :giggle:

True! I hope, at least, that the 4 switch button on the driver's door for controlling the rear windows is retro-compatible (with some more wiring) with the older Rapid version:/ It's crucial!!

Regarding the DRLS, it also makes more sense to "difficult" the switch on/off, since it's mandatory.

Well, thinking again, It makes sense to be able to turn off the DRLS. Car makers have a global market target, so, in many country the DRLS are not mandatory:)

• 9 months later...

Yes it’s always possibly.

They need to be error free (CANBUS) otherwise they put a light up on the dash.

The best one (by far) I have found are the CREE LED’s.

Can you replace the standard boring yellow DRL 'a for some white led type bulbs ???

I haven't been able to find any to fit..... They are H15.... Let me know if u find any!

Sent using my right thumb

Drl's I pit mine on thinking they were going to look dead classy like the ones on Audis.  There merely a differnt version of side lights.  However I was quite surprised to see they are actualy brighter than the side lights.  I can't see how they woul use much power from the car really.  just so you knowI had to turn mine on.  what a PITA it was to remove the fuse box cover, how easy it is ti turn them on once done !!!!

Yes it’s always possibly.

They need to be error free (CANBUS) otherwise they put a light up on the dash.

The best one (by far) I have found are the CREE LED’s.

I haven't been able to find any to fit..... They are H15.... Let me know if u find any!

I'm curious to see what it would look like with LED DRL.

Maybe with a comparison.

If I like it, I could be interested.

Any pictures available?

So, Rapid Ronnie is one of these infuriating folk who think that side-lights are for driving. NO! They are for parking only. if you are driving, i.e. making progress and you judge that lights are appropriate, then please switch on your headlights so's we can all see you.

So, Rapid Ronnie is one of these infuriating folk who think that side-lights are for driving. NO! They are for parking only.

New one on me!?

typazu3e.jpg

• Like 1