speed cameras?

I was travelling down Edinburgh city bypass earlier tonight, and was going a little faster than the speed limit (70 mph) following an Octavia vrs ....

a stationary camera on the opposite side of the road flashed twice, and Im fairy sure it flashed because of me and the octavia. There aren't any markings on the side of the road I/we were travelling, and the road is like a 2 lane motorway with a central safety barrier.

So now i have a month of waiting to get the dreaded letter, do you think its possible to get a speeding fine from a camera on the opposite side of the road??? the octavia didn't slow down but i did, thinking ....... ****

No markings = they cannot prove the speed you were travelling.

Then there is the fact that cameras are only licensed for use in specific directions. As far as I am aware there are none that can take pictures of cars travelling in either direction.

Was it a gatso? (Square orange box with square lens). Because im pretty sure they only work from behind. If it has a round lens, called a truvelo, they can take forward facing pictures.

Was it a gatso? (Square orange box with square lens). Because im pretty sure they only work from behind. If it has a round lens, called a truvelo, they can take forward facing pictures.

It was one of the grey ones with 2 lenses / flash

Was it facing towards you or behind. If it was towards you I believe it would have been flashing a single car going in the other direction-they flash twice at a set time between flashes so if anyone claims they were not speeding and there was something wrong with the camera then they use the lines that run across the road (again they are a set distance apart) to calculate the speed because there's no lines on your side of the road I recon you're safe......

Scotland has different privacy laws regarding photographing people's faces if I remember correctly so face first to a camera wasn't usable. Also a camera on one side of a dual carriage way can't cover the other side from what I understand.

If it was a 'white' flash then it would not be at you travelling toward it.The front facing cameras have a red flash. Although equally distracting when they flash you :bandit:

Edit: In anycase 85 indicated in a Skoda would probably not be fast enough to trigger a camera in a 70 limit. though 90 might.

if its a gatzo 2 then they don't need the lines on the road to get you. they can work out your speed electronically, removes the need to employ someone to look at the 2 pictures from a gatzo 1 and work out how fast you were going.

I think in the interests of the wider forum silver fox should travel in the opposite direction tomorrow at an indicated 90 and when the NIP arrives let us know the.actual speed so we know how accurate Skoda speedos are.....

• Like 1

Putting my bestest 'holier than thou' cap on, and assuming your speedo is accurate

If it did catch you, you're bang to rights

If it didn't catch you, it should have done

Simples :)

Because you've never been over the limit?

That's irrelevant

I'm not the one posting on a public forum asking the question

And I've never had a NIP or a point on my licence in 29 years of driving

Next question