Changing from GreenLine II to 1.2 TSI

steve_beds

After 18 months of faithful service from my candy white GreenLine II SE I've traded in this week for another candy white (love it!) SE Plus 1.2 TSI. Just have to wait for it to be built now!

In this small window where I might be able to change my mind, should I? I'm doing about 10k miles a year, so switching to petrol and adding a few nice trim options seemed like a reasonable thing to do for slightly reduced monthly payments. I enjoyed my test drive in a 1.2, it felt quite a lot nippier at low speeds, though thought it was a little whiny compared to my nice diesel.

I've had diesels now for over 10 years, 7 of which were pre-Yeti in a 1.9 110ps Passat, which was surprisingly nippy. Am I crazy moving to petrol? I'm not so much worried about the costs as getting up steep hills with a car full of passengers and luggage after reading the 1.2 has about half the torque of my 1.6 diesel. Should I be?

What I am looking forward to is the heating windscreen and 12 speaker sound system I've added :rofl:

Save me from concerns buyers remorse anyone? :sweat:

Different engine sizes but I am also swapping from a 170 diesel to the 1.8 petrol as my annual mileage is now only about 8k and the economics of that appear to be very firmly in favour of petrol. I have driven diesel cars for about the last 25 years and had to think very hard about this, but I think it's a sensible move.

I'm also changing to white from muscavado: loved the muscavado but have become more and more convinced that white suits the monster best!

Different engine sizes but I am also swapping from a 170 diesel to the 1.8 petrol as my annual mileage is now only about 8k and the economics of that appear to be very firmly in favour of petrol. I have driven diesel cars for about the last 25 years and had to think very hard about this, but I think it's a sensible move.

I'm also changing to white from muscavado: loved the muscavado but have become more and more convinced that white suits the monster best!

Yea, light colours are the way to go. :rofl:

After looking at some reviews of the 1.2 this could be a step too far for you? Maybe the 1.4 would be a good 1/2 way house both in terms of performance as the lack of 50nm torque compared to the greenline will be partially off set by the extra increase in 13 PS, plus it's 1/2 way between the 2 cost wise too.

If you're really undecided why don't you go back and have a longer test drive in the 1.2 and load it up with passengers. That way you'll know if it's right for you. I had a 1.4 Ocy and ending up changing in 12 months later because it wasn't right for me, caused partly because I didn't have a long and varied enough test drive. So to me it's vital everyone gets the car to suit THEIR needs which is a very individual thing.

Because you're asking the question you obviously have concerns, but the only person who can decide really is you. I feel a lengthy test drive is the answer as either way it'll settle your mind that you've ultimately ordered the correct car for you whether you stick with the 1.2 or not.

Loads on 'ME's and YOU's' in here but hope you get my drift.

oh and BTW this isn't meant to upset any 1.2 owners- if the car is great for you that's what it's all about :rock:

Different engine sizes but I am also swapping from a 170 diesel to the 1.8 petrol as my annual mileage is now only about 8k and the economics of that appear to be very firmly in favour of petrol....

Interesting - I'd expect the 1.8 - 2.0Tdi break-even point at 8K miles pa to be about 3 yrs (excluding depreciation).

We have the 1.2 and recently took it on a 600 mile round trip over 3 days. Four adults plus plenty of luggage at mostly motorway speeds and it did not feel underpowered. Clearly never as Torquey as a Diesel and on A and B roads the gearbox had to be used a little for good pickup. However it's such a willing little engine that this is not a chore. I was Slightly dissapointed by the average fuel consumption @ 36mpg but the car only had 200 miles on the ODO at the time. As suggested you could get the 1.4 with an extra 15Bhp but I wouldn't be too concerned.

Do not have any concerns, I was a little worried about the 1.2 engine as well until I trialled this and the 1.4 but I wanted a DSG box and I have no regrets at all. Brilliant town and country car, adequate on the motorway unless you want to be passing everyone at speed and the cheaper road tax and insurance is an added bonus.

Thanks for the input guys, I feel quite reassured having read a bit more about the engine today! It's not often I have a fully laden car, I don't plan to tow and I'm usually aiming for efficiency on motorways rather than speed!

Do not have any concerns, I was a little worried about the 1.2 engine as well until I trialled this and the 1.4 but I wanted a DSG box and I have no regrets at all. Brilliant town and country car, adequate on the motorway unless you want to be passing everyone at speed and the cheaper road tax and insurance is an added bonus.

It is a couple of groups lower than my GreenLine, so be interesting to see what difference that makes. Going from £30/yr to £125/yr tax isn't quite so nice though!

Because you're asking the question you obviously have concerns, but the only person who can decide really is you. I feel a lengthy test drive is the answer as either way it'll settle your mind that you've ultimately ordered the correct car for you whether you stick with the 1.2 or not.

Thanks for your detailed advice littleade, I'm definitely going to have another chat with my salesman about getting another test drive, maybe bring a couple of friends along to bulk out the car!

Try these two links that may reassure you:

http://www.briskoda....ne-performance/

http://www.briskoda....ng-term-12-tsi/

If you drive foot to the floor a lot of the time, then the 1.2 TSI is probably the wrong option. If not, I doubt you'll particularly notice the difference in terms of performance, just the way that performance is delivered.

Try these two links that may reassure you:

http://www.briskoda....ne-performance/

http://www.briskoda....ng-term-12-tsi/

If you drive foot to the floor a lot of the time, then the 1.2 TSI is probably the wrong option. If not, I doubt you'll particularly notice the difference in terms of performance, just the way that performance is delivered.

Thanks, all sounds very promising. Everyone seems to rave about the DSG gearboxes, got me wondering if I should go try one out and see if I might want to revise my order!

Thanks, all sounds very promising. Everyone seems to rave about the DSG gearboxes, got me wondering if I should go try one out and see if I might want to revise my order!

I changed from a 2.0 diesel Octavia to a 1.2 Tsi Yeti, both with DSG. The 1.2/DSG combination is excellent with the "extra" 7th gear over the 6 speed manual. The DSG box changes gear so smoothly you don't notice and the car just wafts along up hill and down dale at whatever speed you want! Obviously it doesn't have the torque of a diesel but in normal driving you don't notice and it is so much quieter and smoother than the 2.0 Tdi diesel. You can drive the DSG like a manual if you want to but I bet that after you have tried it once or twice you will stick it in D and just enjoy the ease of driving.

Take one for a test drive - you won't regret it.

• Like 2

Thanks for your detailed advice littleade, I'm definitely going to have another chat with my salesman about getting another test drive, maybe bring a couple of friends along to bulk out the car!

You're more than welcome-to me that's what this forum is all about. It annoys me somewhat that the salesmen expect us to be able to decide on what car to get based on a short test drive when we're in 'I want a new car' mode. After you've had the test drive at least you'll only loose sleep though exitement waiting for it to arrive!

Hope you enjoy which ever one you finally decide to get

I changed from a 2.0 diesel Octavia to a 1.2 Tsi Yeti, both with DSG. The 1.2/DSG combination is excellent with the "extra" 7th gear over the 6 speed manual. The DSG box changes gear so smoothly you don't notice and the car just wafts along up hill and down dale at whatever speed you want! Obviously it doesn't have the torque of a diesel but in normal driving you don't notice and it is so much quieter and smoother than the 2.0 Tdi diesel. You can drive the DSG like a manual if you want to but I bet that after you have tried it once or twice you will stick it in D and just enjoy the ease of driving.

Take one for a test drive - you won't regret it.

Spot on about the gearbox, but we have praised this engine/gearbox combination so many times any one with doubts would be reassured.

We have a few Yetis in the family. 1.2 DSG, 1.6 CR Greenline and a 200bhp mapped 170CR 4x4.

For family holidays we use the 1.2, which says a lot.

It's quiet, refined and does about 10-15mpg less than the Greenline. (40mpg instead of 55mpg driven carefully)

It''s also got a lighter front end so is a bit better balanced and feels more nimble, not to mention 17" rims instead of 16" rims, so it handles better.

That's my take anyway. :)

• Like 1

I've just moved from a 1.8TSi Superb estate to a 1.2 Yeti - so this was obviously a concern for me....

I picked the car up from the dealer 2 weeks ago, and then had to drive from Shrewsbury - London, London - Taunton, Taunton - Shrewsbury for a few days in the office and then a conference; so the odometer is showing 580miles and a good mixture of town and motorway work.

In and around town the car is perfect, maxidot is showing 45-46mpg on short runs and sensible driving; motorway driving is the difference, where the 1.8 had loads of flexibility at 70mph-80mph, the Yeti is obviously much slower to respond, motorway consumption was around 43mpg on the maxidot.

It's not bad at all and I kept it at a steady 70 most of the way, and occasionally hit 80 (although I had the speed warning set to 80, so when I reached 80 I also slowed down a little). In short it's absolutely fine, it's just a different style of driving, and probably a safer style of driving too!

Wife has a 1.2 (85) Monte, so I knew the engine was going to be fine in the Yeti; I'll miss some of the power of the Superb on the motorway, but that's all.

Dont worry about the torque figure as you cant compare torque for a petrol car with a diesel car as the gearing is different. The diesel will still edge it but torque at the wheels is what counts and its the gear ratios that affect that.

Thats why off roaders can double their torque at the wheels when they enage low ratio box. If you know the exact gear ratios for both cars you can do a more accurate comparison of actual torque at the wheels as engine torque is irrelevant as you can have 1000lb/ft but if the gear ratio is really long then you will still chug along. Its just like trying to pull away in 3rd gear. The 1.2 will do more with its lower engine torque due to ist increased rev range.

As said the diesel may well still edge it but the gap isnt as big as you think. Id personally get the petrol.

I've just moved from a 1.8TSi Superb estate to a 1.2 Yeti - so this was obviously a concern for me....

I picked the car up from the dealer 2 weeks ago, and then had to drive from Shrewsbury - London, London - Taunton, Taunton - Shrewsbury for a few days in the office and then a conference; so the odometer is showing 580miles and a good mixture of town and motorway work.

In and around town the car is perfect, maxidot is showing 45-46mpg on short runs and sensible driving; motorway driving is the difference, where the 1.8 had loads of flexibility at 70mph-80mph, the Yeti is obviously much slower to respond, motorway consumption was around 43mpg on the maxidot.

It's not bad at all and I kept it at a steady 70 most of the way, and occasionally hit 80 (although I had the speed warning set to 80, so when I reached 80 I also slowed down a little). In short it's absolutely fine, it's just a different style of driving, and probably a safer style of driving too!

Wife has a 1.2 (85) Monte, so I knew the engine was going to be fine in the Yeti; I'll miss some of the power of the Superb on the motorway, but that's all.

Have to say our Yetis are very similar in age and mileage. Your consumption is way better than mine and I'm usually an economical driver.

Thanks for all the input guys. Been in today and revised my order to the DSG model after trying it out on an Octavia (all they had available with that box). Can't believe how smooth it is!

Had a bit of hassle as they've temporary withdrawn the SE Plus spec due to the Kristal interior being pulled, which is somewhat annoying as I really didn't care about that particular feature of the SE Plus spec. On the other hand, Andrew @ Progress Bedford managed to do me a cracking deal starting with the Elegance spec instead. Ever so slightly more expensive (but not much when you add in the DSG), hope it'll be worth it!

Have to say our Yetis are very similar in age and mileage. Your consumption is way better than mine and I'm usually an economical driver.

I do have a pretty light driving style, but I checked it again as I drove to the gym and back today and average was 45.3mpg for a 4 mile trip all between 0 and 40 mph with a few junctions/lights/roundabouts along the way.

This trip used to work out at around 40mpg in my Superb (on a good day) so I'm hoping I can keep the Yeti at around 45. It's the long trips that will be interesting as it looks like I'll get a little less than this on average....time will tell!

Thanks for all the input guys. Been in today and revised my order to the DSG model after trying it out on an Octavia (all they had available with that box). Can't believe how smooth it is!

Had a bit of hassle as they've temporary withdrawn the SE Plus spec due to the Kristal interior being pulled, which is somewhat annoying as I really didn't care about that particular feature of the SE Plus spec. On the other hand, Andrew @ Progress Bedford managed to do me a cracking deal starting with the Elegance spec instead. Ever so slightly more expensive (but not much when you add in the DSG), hope it'll be worth it!

You will appreciate the Elegance trim and the added goodies you get. Headlights are particularly good - specially the tracking feature round corners!

• Like 1

Really interesting post. I'm keen on getting a low mileage 1.2 tsi with DSG and so it's really

useful hearing all these reports from people who have them.

I've test driven both the diesel and petrol versions with DSG and they were both excellent..

Still favour the petrol though. I had a BMW 330d a few years back and although it went

like stink with tremendous torque I never liked the smell or the sound of the thing. Guess

I'm a true petrol head!

Biggest problem is finding a used Yeti with the right spec that is reasonably local. Never

had to travel any distance before to buy a used car. I would buy a new one if anyone had

them in stock. A pre-reg or demonstrator would be okay but they seem as rare as hen's

teeth aswell! Waiting months for delivery of a new one is out of the question. Never mind,

reading about them on this forum is good fun!

Pip,

Always worth looking at the Approved Used Skoda section of SUK's web site; that's where I found mine. You could also try giving Sinclair Skoda of Swansea a ring as they had a few when I was last there.

Thanks for the advice. I check the Skoda approved used cars most days and will pounce when I see one I fancy within

about 50 miles of Bristol.

Was very interested in one at Bath Skoda a few weeks ago but the colour was horrible. Please don't take offence

anyone that has it but it was like a dreadfull looking dull burgandy. Something Rosso I believe.