Time to Move on

After 2.5 years and 98,000 miles the Superb goes tomorrow. been a good car and no complaints about the car or the excellent service from the dealer (Wayside at Milton Keynes) but for the price of a new L&K I got an ex demo E350 Mecedes Sport Estate with loads of toys not quite as many as the Superb but the 265BHP and nearly twice the torque it swayed me as well as the 3 years unlimited milage warranty. ( the superb was out of warranty before 18 months)

That's really interesting as mine has just ticked over 70k and looking to change. If you don't mind me asking was this a trade in? Finance? What sort amount per month ? Company car? Ido high mileage and am wondering to swap while the car has Not done 100k to retain value. Any help?

Damo

After 2.5 years and 98,000 miles the Superb goes tomorrow. been a good car and no complaints about the car or the excellent service from the dealer (Wayside at Milton Keynes) but for the price of a new L&K I got an ex demo E350 Mecedes Sport Estate with loads of toys not quite as many as the Superb but the 265BHP and nearly twice the torque it swayed me as well as the 3 years unlimited milage warranty. ( the superb was out of warranty before 18 months)

Why was it out of warranty before 18 months?

Seems to be a theme here.....

See my post from a few months back - my new car, was also a Cracking Deal on an e250 CDI AMG Sport Estate - PreReg,delivery mileage (21 i think) same price as a diesel L&K Estate...

Al.

Why was it out of warranty before 18 months?

I think the OP means it had exceeded 60k miles after 18 months, so it will have been covered by the 2 year unlimited mileage warranty, but not by the extra third year 60k limited warranty.

hi Al

how are you getting on with the new merc would you say its better than the superb and if yes,in what way.hope to collect my ford mk2 kuga titanium x end of the month

bill

bill

Hi Bill,

Well the merc's got about 4,000 miles on her now.

Good Bits

Boot's HUGE - Dwarfs the Superb Estates. (It's not quite as tall (i didnt have the variable floor) but is wider and deeper)

Seats are very comfortable

Ride is better (& Quieter) than the Superb

Engine & gearbox (7 speed auto) are excellent - the 170 TDi in the Superb was good, but the 2.2 204 TwinTurbo Diesel in the merc is better!

£135 to tax per year (£195 for the Superb - it was 4x4 but was manual)

Self-Leveling Suspension does what it says on the tin

Front parking sensors come on automatically at walking pace.

The jack (yeah, sad this bit i know) has a receiver built into the Chassis so you know exactly where to put it, and it can't slip out

35 years free break-down if serviced with Merc.

Interior is a nice place to be - not full leather, not full elec seats, but the Quality of the leather is higher.

The Ok

MPG around the same, at around 41

Rear leg Room is "normal" - Superb's is better

HeadLights are just as good as the Superb - Cornering lights are in the headlight unit; it does not have front fogs

No memory seats, but both fronts are elec adjustments (apart from back and forwards)

it has "High beam Assist" - Leave high-beams on, and it can sense if someone else is near, ie, looks for headlights and tail-lights and can automatically turn down the lights. - Good idea, works well, but it's got HID's and is very rarely needed

Sat Nav's better than the Superb at Direction, but is harder to program.

The Bad

I sat on the keys at work on Saturday, inside a hotel... the staff came to tell me my boot was open! - Now trying to get the elec boot release from the key disabled! - But suppose this is the same from all Elec boot releases....

Tyres (255/35/18 on the back) are going to cost a fortune to replace!

Superb's Parking sensor display, on the Columbus screen was MUCH better than the row of lights on the dash for the front, and row of lights on the roof-lining for the rear's on the merc. - that being said, they work well.

Al.

That's really interesting as mine has just ticked over 70k and looking to change. If you don't mind me asking was this a trade in? Finance? What sort amount per month ? Company car? Ido high mileage and am wondering to swap while the car has Not done 100k to retain value. Any help?

Damo

I have been hit a number of times on the sharp fall in price after 100,00 miles so deceided to trade it before the magic figure was reached. I traded the Superb with Mercedes Direct and got just under £10k for it and on certain Mercs there is a deposit contribution from Merc of up to £1500.00. got Merc finance @ 4.3APR. so came out just under £50 per month less than the Superb on the payments. I use the car for business but as self employed I buy it privately. Must say the Guys at Merc Direct did try very hard to get the sale.

Edited by kensym

Hi Bill,

Well the merc's got about 4,000 miles on her now.

Good Bits

Boot's HUGE - Dwarfs the Superb Estates. (It's not quite as tall (i didnt have the variable floor) but is wider and deeper)

Seats are very comfortable

Ride is better (& Quieter) than the Superb

Engine & gearbox (7 speed auto) are excellent - the 170 TDi in the Superb was good, but the 2.2 204 TwinTurbo Diesel in the merc is better!

£135 to tax per year (£195 for the Superb - it was 4x4 but was manual)

Self-Leveling Suspension does what it says on the tin

Front parking sensors come on automatically at walking pace.

The jack (yeah, sad this bit i know) has a receiver built into the Chassis so you know exactly where to put it, and it can't slip out

35 years free break-down if serviced with Merc.

Interior is a nice place to be - not full leather, not full elec seats, but the Quality of the leather is higher.

The Ok

MPG around the same, at around 41

Rear leg Room is "normal" - Superb's is better

HeadLights are just as good as the Superb - Cornering lights are in the headlight unit; it does not have front fogs

No memory seats, but both fronts are elec adjustments (apart from back and forwards)

it has "High beam Assist" - Leave high-beams on, and it can sense if someone else is near, ie, looks for headlights and tail-lights and can automatically turn down the lights. - Good idea, works well, but it's got HID's and is very rarely needed

Sat Nav's better than the Superb at Direction, but is harder to program.

The Bad

I sat on the keys at work on Saturday, inside a hotel... the staff came to tell me my boot was open! - Now trying to get the elec boot release from the key disabled! - But suppose this is the same from all Elec boot releases....

Tyres (255/35/18 on the back) are going to cost a fortune to replace!

Superb's Parking sensor display, on the Columbus screen was MUCH better than the row of lights on the dash for the front, and row of lights on the roof-lining for the rear's on the merc. - that being said, they work well.

Al.

How are you getting on with the foot operated park brake? (unless of course they have done the sensible thing and changed the design). I hated it on my C Class.

How are you getting on with the foot operated park brake? (unless of course they have done the sensible thing and changed the design). I hated it on my C Class.

Doesn't bother me as had American cars for years awhile ago and that was standard fitment, also found even in the Superb I realy use the parking brake unless parking up. The Merc has a facility if you press the brake pedal hard it puts the park prake on whilst stationary

Mercedes are in a different league, it's a prestige car and the Skoda is a budget brand. The Superb does what it does really well, but there are certain areas of the Superb let it down. But hey it's budgeted and marketed that way. Yeh it's built well and reliable but to many things are made to a price. Great taxis!!!

Sent from my iPhone upside down, using Tapatalk whilst in a taxi rank

I have been hit a number of times on the sharp fall in price after 100,00 miles so deceided to trade it before the magic figure was reached. I traded the Superb with Mercedes Direct and got just under £10k for it and on certain Mercs there is a deposit contribution from Merc of up to £1500.00. got Merc finance @ 4.3APR. so came out just under £50 per month less than the Superb on the payments. I use the car for business but as self employed I buy it privately. Must say the Guys at Merc Direct did try very hard to get the sale.

Many thanks kensym I'm the same self employed buy private realising I don't need such a big boot so looking at the a6 or a7

Should qualify the last post with that I love my 170 estate which is making decisions very difficult but realising I don't use the DVD or the Hdd so if an upgrade does not have these not a biggy

i looked at the A4 Allroad... and XC70 as i wanted to keep 4x4... the A4 was Teeny-weeny and the Auto box in the Volvo was AWFUL!

A6 Allroad was over priced - £45k+ 2nd hand for a decent spec.

My Father-In-Law now owns my Superb, so it's still in the family, so to speak.

My dad, now has a new '13 plate Yeti L&K and he love it! - So we sure aint left the Skoda fold... that being said, the merc was around £4 grand or so more than the Yeti...

Al.

Many thanks kensym I'm the same self employed buy private realising I don't need such a big boot so looking at the a6 or a7

I would take a serious look at the C class merc as they had some good deals on those as well (the c350 was great bit of kit but a bit small for my needs) Would also look at the Octavia as the dealers are pushing hard on those at moment and the estate is imiment

Biggest problem with Mercedes cars is Mercedes dealers imo , thats the main reason I went from my old E class to the Superb , that said I reckon Skoda dealers arent what they were a few years and Mercedes had a big shakeup a few years back

The E350 is a nice car I can see me looking at those come replacement time but I hope my car will last another couple of years yet

Mercedes are in a different league, it's a prestige car and the Skoda is a budget brand. The Superb does what it does really well, but there are certain areas of the Superb let it down. But hey it's budgeted and marketed that way. Yeh it's built well and reliable but to many things are made to a price. Great taxis!!!

Marketing people love the likes of you, swallowing all that blurb, hook, line and sinker.

• Like 1

I would take a serious look at the C class merc as they had some good deals on those as well (the c350 was great bit of kit but a bit small for my needs) Would also look at the Octavia as the dealers are pushing hard on those at moment and the estate is imiment

Thanks but I refuse to pay that much money for a car that has a foot operated parking brake. No matter how good it is. #2013.

• Like 1

Interesting post.

My Roomster is three years old later this year and looking at various estates etc.

At my local Skoda dealer there is a nice Superb 4x4 Outdoor for 24k. However, Mercedes have some great deals on with the c and E class used . I could get a 220 cdi C class with full leather , xenons, sat nav etc etc for 21k. Ok comparing a nearly new Superb with the 16 month old Merc but it really makes the decision harder! The downside with Mercedes are the dealer servicing costs. Eye watering to keep the free breakdown going.

Forget about the three pointed star I have a great 2010 170cr diesel estate in silver only done 70k miles well looked after like a limo and elegance trim upgraded bluetooth module. Everything but the panoramic roof and the kitchen sink ! Yours for 14k.......

Damo

Marketing people love the likes of you, swallowing all that blurb, hook, line and sinker.

Not me. I've had both. While you get a lot more toys for your money with the Superb. It's still not a better car. What about the 3 major things I look for when buying a car and the Merc wins hands down. 1st is driving dynamics. 2nd is ride quality. 3rd is noise. It's after those three things I buy a car. I agree though that getting a fair bit of kit with certain trim levels is what makes the Superb a good car. Having vast amount of space only appeals to me because my Superb is a taxi. If I had the choice I would have the Merc over the Superb for personal use. The Superb doesn't even have proper carpet. Still think its in the same league? The Superb is a value for money car. The Merc isn't.

It's still not a better car. What about the 3 major things I look for when buying a car and the Merc wins hands down. 1st is driving dynamics. 2nd is ride quality. 3rd is noise.

I drove both before buying my present car, and would have picked the Superb over the C-Class even if the prices were reversed. Ride was awful on the C-Class (admittedly it was a "Sport" spec but so was the Jag I had at the time) and chassis composure fell apart on rough surfaces. The 220CDI was rough and unrefined (looking at current road tests this is still the case) and had the common M-B failing of the auto box being ill-matched to the engine characteristics. Basically it just seemed like hard work to make any progress on a typical B-road. Perhaps the latest C-Class is much better.

Mark