Octavia 3 opinion

Happened to pop into my local dealership for some bits and bobs and had the oportunity to have a brief look at a new Octavia. Think it was an Elegance on 18's.

Have to say overall I was impressed, definitely has an air of sophistication inside thats missing from the MK2; wouldnt say ita necessarily much better built but the percieved quality is certainly of a higher standard with some cleverer touches. Seats in the Elegance were surprisingly nice but not v heavily bolstered.

From the outside, a nice looking car bit for me still a bit ordinary; think its a bit of a shame they've done away with the visible exhaust tips on all the regular models.

I think the vRS will be very impressive but an Elegance spec car as nice as it is definitely would not sway me away from my Blackline.

Something i found interesting was that apparently the GFV's on the new car are so strong right now that despite being more expensive than the MK2, they are generally cheaper to finance on Solutions PCP. Dont suppose that will last long as soon as early cars and ex demos start flooding the market over the next 12/18 months.

Edited by pipsyp

Sat in it at a car show. My general impression was that VW has finally loosened the leash a bit and let Skoda make a car that'll rival their own. It's not like VWs would be that good, it's just that I've had a feeling that Skoda was forcefully subdued so that it wouldn't make truly exceptional, truly clever cars. I think the OIII is one.

• Like 1

Sat in it at a car show. My general impression was that VW has finally loosened the leash a bit and let Skoda make a car that'll rival their own. It's not like VWs would be that good, it's just that I've had a feeling that Skoda was forcefully subdued so that it wouldn't make truly exceptional, truly clever cars. I think the OIII is one.

Have to agree. There's lots of signs of expenditure in the cabin that just werent previously permitted on the mk 2 and mk 1. It feels like a really nice, uncompromised car to drive and be in now. :)
  • Like 2

Same here too. I sat in one for 10 seconds and knew I was going to buy one!

Couldnt have said it any better myself! I'll be waiting for the full range to come to market though - the 4x4's, Scouts and VRS and take my pick when they are all available. :)

• Like 1

You should have a shiny one to trade in as well ;) ;)

Will almost definitely sell it privately! I asked for a rough trade-in estimate at my local dealer a few weeks ago, and they offered my just over half the guide price on Parkers and slightly less than webuyanycar.com

Can't wait to have it looking mint again though - not long now Chris!

I kinda agrre but i would argue that skoda has a better range of cars than VW despite not being fully permitted to do what they wanted on the current range. In my mind a superb offers far more than a passat and is higher quality offering. An octy offers more than a Golf for less money. The yeti offers similar spec etc compared to a tiguan for a considerable cash saving and has amazing residual values. The citygo is more or less the same as its VW counterpart but again for less money.

Other than a bit of badge snobbery why on earth would you pick the VW equivilent over the skoda version? As you say above there is some small details in the cars where the VW would have the nicer touches i.e soft close grab handles etc but in reality its minor details that wouldnt really be enough to justify the heftier price tag. In fairness id argue the superb is a nicer place to be than anything VW offers except maybe a phateon.

The new octy 3 continues this but in this version there is one major difference....the torsion beam rear axle. In like for like comparisons the VW version seems to get full independant rear suspension. Not sure if this alone would justify the higher price tag but in my opinion its makes a bigger difference than minor interior detail variations between the brands.

Seems VAG still want to keep Skoda in its place. Suits me though as its the place i would go and where my money would be spent.

The new octy 3 continues this but in this version there is one major difference....the torsion beam rear axle. In like for like comparisons the VW version seems to get full independant rear suspension. Not sure if this alone would justify the higher price tag but in my opinion its makes a bigger difference than minor interior detail variations between the brands.

I generally agree with everything you say but dont forget that the 1.2tsi and 1.6tdi Golfs still get the torsion beam setup as standard so exactly the same as the Octavia. Not sure how much test driving youve actually done of the new Octavia but imo the setup isnt a weakness in terms of either handling or refinement at all.
  • Like 1

I currently drive a 2012 Audi A3 2.0 TDI-170 s-tronic Sportback SE which I have had for about 18 months. As all of the VAG manufacturers have come out with new models based on the MQB platform I decided to start having test drives in each of models to compare. I started today with a 2 hours drive in an Octavia 2.0TDI-150 DSG. It was OK and quite nice to drive but it did not have the DSG paddels and as I use them for most of my gearchanging I really missed them. I understand they can be added as an option. The interior was fine but again not as good as the A3. Plenty of space etc but the quality of finish is a bit lower. But then an Octavia costs less. As far and the ride was concerned it was not as good as my current A3. I will have another try later on when the 4x4 estate is available as again I understand that will have the the better suspension setup.

In the next week or so I will be borrowing a Golf of similar spec for a day to see how I get on with that. Following that it will be a day with a new A3 again of similar spec. I must say It's good fun trying out all these new models.

• Like 1

I generally agree with everything you say but dont forget that the 1.2tsi and 1.6tdi Golfs still get the torsion beam setup as standard so exactly the same as the Octavia.

Exactly. Torsion beam is just the standard spec "feature", higher specs get independent rear suspension like the Golf.

Exactly. Torsion beam is just the standard spec "feature", higher specs get independent rear suspension like the Golf.

Ignore previous attempt at quoting. Stupid phone. I believe golfs of similar spec to the new octavia have the independant rear suspension. Im sure the 150 bhp tdi did in the recent what car review anyway. I would wager they will always inhibit the skoda variant somehow to justify the premium pricing of the vw version.

i love the new octy and wish i had hung off in buying a 62 plate superb and a 13 octy3, really nice lines and the interior is also a pleasant view, but the space in the superb beets it hands down and that was the reason i got it

I believe golfs of similar spec to the new octavia have the independant rear suspension.

Incorrect. As posted above, all 1.2TSi and 1.6TDi Golfs use the exact same setup as the Octavia Mk3 1.2Tsi and 1.6TDi's - torsion beam, not an independant style setup. Only on the higher powered varients is there any difference. :)

Incorrect. As posted above, all 1.2TSi and 1.6TDi Golfs use the exact same setup as the Octavia Mk3 1.2Tsi and 1.6TDi's - torsion beam, not an independant style setup. Only on the higher powered varients is there any difference. :)

I was more referring to the golf with the 150bhp diesel which has independant setup whereas the octy has a torsion beam. I wouldnt deem 150bhp as high powered.

The new Octavia looks like a bigger version of the Rapid,

I'm not a great fan of the Rapid

I'll look at the New Vrs when it comes out so we'll see

Me too...The Porsche Boxter/Cayman idea has been quashed by SWMBO!!!

Will have a look at the vRS when it is at the Gaydon national meet, but until it has been around for a while,( with vat off ) it is still far too expensive at 23 grand without options, the M2 was out far too long( 8 years )there is a step up in quality, no doubt about it but not 6 grands worth, be interested to see the vRS ride height as the standard car is like a 4x4 , lets hope it much lower so no need to spend over 600 to lower it :happy:

I was more referring to the golf with the 150bhp diesel which has independant setup whereas the octy has a torsion beam. I wouldnt deem 150bhp as high powered.

Nor would I as I stated "higher powered" than the 140ps break point of the Golf getting the multi link setup. :)

Will have a look at the vRS when it is at the Gaydon national meet, but until it has been around for a while,( with vat off ) it is still far too expensive at 23 grand without options, the M2 was out far too long( 8 years )there is a step up in quality, no doubt about it but not 6 grands worth, be interested to see the vRS ride height as the standard car is like a 4x4 , lets hope it much lower so no need to spend over 600 to lower it :happy:

How long do you expect to wait until that happens though, assuming it is released in July as expected?

Not looking just curious I got the R36 because sick of the wait, and I think 227 would be slow for me now, having the R36 remapped to 333 bhp and 500 nm of torque (along with DSG) as standard is "normal" now too! :blush::giggle: