Which Yeti?

The Wanderer

Hello All,

I am currently based in Colombo, Sri Lanka, driving a petrol 2WD Hyundai Tucson (it was cheap and available!) for the past 4 years. Before that (in Ethiopia) we had a diesel X-Trail, a better car all round - until the turbo developed a problem, that is. We will be moving to Europe this summer (probably Switzerland) and I've been looking into car options. The Yeti seems to have everything I want, but the problem is which model? I am considering both petrol and diesel/4WD and 2WD/DSG & manual; and all Trims apart from E.

I anticipate my driving (wherever we end up) will entail commuting/school drops/urban trips of a few kms (up to 30, though it could be longer) during the week; travelling longer distances (say on average 50-100kms) at weekends; and very lengthy (to Greece and the UK) once or twice a year. I guess a total in the region of 15-30,000kms.

4WD wouldn't be essential at all but could be handy in Switzerland and Greece (1 month a year); and I liked the way my old 4WD 2.2 TDi X-Trail handled.

The following models are ones I'm considering:

1.2TSi SE + ESC (with DSG as a treat for the money saved on other models)

Greenline SE

2.0 110PS 4x4 S or SE (Irritating that this lacks a jack for Aux input as I use this a lot and it's such a small reason to shift up to SE. ESC is standard on the S but not on the SE according to my brochure - which sems odd.)

2.0 140PS SE 4x4 + ESC

2.0 170PS Elegance 4x4 (I don't really need leather seats - but other features might be worth it.)

I will order the car duty free (I have this entitlement) - either through a UK based company or a dealer in Switzerland - and would like to set this up so that a car will be ready for collection when I arrive in my next country of residence.

I thought I'd tap into Briskoda collective wisdom. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Edited by The Wanderer

The 1.2 will be ideal for your shorter trips. If that's the bulk of your driving I'd say that's where you need to be looking. My profile is very similar to what you describe though the longest journey we really do are to the West coast of Ireland or down South - furthest we've ventured that way was to the midlands of England. 1.2 coped fine though obviously for longer trips I'd have preferred to be able to drop in a diesel.

Hello TW. Several of us here have come from X-Trails; it seems to be a logical progression in some respects due to changes in the XT's specification. Where towing or a high proportion of longer-distance driving is involved, the diesel Yetis are popular and in such working conditions there are unlikely to be any problems with the dreaded DPF. However, the 1.2 ltr petrol engine seems to have an enthusiastic following for regular short journeys, with a reputation for performing significantly better than would be expected for a 1.2 in e.g. motorway driving. Lots of stories here if you 'search'. Thinking of Swiss conditions, 2WD with winter tyres can probably outdo 4WD on summers.

Auto transmission is not everyone's cup of tea but a lot of members here who use DSG say they would never willingly go back to manual boxes. Both versions (7 spd for the 1.2 and 6 spd for the diesel) have been around long enough for most problems to have been sorted and there don't seem to be many reports here about trouble.

Oh, and I think ESP (as they now call it) is standard on everything above E trim. As you go through the brochure, remember that listed features for each trim level are generally additions to or improvements on those for the level below.

Lots of choices!

Thanks for the feedback domnhall, brijo and offnote.

I didn't realise a new model was coming, Offnote. Unfortunately, I don't think I can wait till December. Have there been any leaked images of the new car?

I had wondered about the 1.2 Tsi. The thing is I have no idea what my commute might be. It could be 10, 20, 40 or even 60kms pd - I won't know till we find a house. I thought that once it got over say 30 a diesel would come into its own. And if it's less, it won't hurt having a diesel as long as the car gets a longer workout at least once a week. Is this assumption right?

Ideally I would wait and see where we get a house. However there is a limited window in which I can get a duty free car.

One other consideration - is there much difference in the re-sale value of petrols, diesels and 4WDs?

Edited by The Wanderer

petrol versus diesel engine is no longer a big factor but yeti AWD haldex system is the most valuable asset in this car

so buying a 2WD yeti IMO is nonsense.

Diesels cost more to buy, diesel fuel costs a lot more than petrol. And if you don't venture off road 2wd is really fine, especially with winter tyres. Anyone who says non 4x4 cars are nonsensical is not living in the real world. Tax will be higher, weight of car will be increased and to what real benefit on the school run?

Sent from my MZ601 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

^^ agreed

+1

Thus proving this 'offnote' character clearly hasn't got a clue what he's talking about, with uninformed barbs, and is clearly a troll just trying to get a rise from people in this forum.

The sooner 'he' (or she) is banned from the group entirely the better.

But with regards the OP, do disregard any comments made by this member anyway :)

• Like 2

I have to say I'm erring towards 2 wheel drive. I doubt I'll be going seriously off road much, and unless the haldex system boosts on road performance there wouldn't be much point opting for 4x4. Does it?

As for petrol vs. diesel, I'm erring towards the latter. While diesel costs more, the Greenline's good mpg would presumably compensate for this (or more out of town). And given I don't know the length of my commute, the 1.6 seems like the better all round bet. Assuming - if the commute turns out on the shorter side - that a longer trip at speed at least once a week would be sufficient to maintain the DPF. This is a correct assumption isn't it?

4wd comes with the more powerful engine options, I think they're a niche product for people who live at the top of a steep hill (like me). If you're driving on road on hilly roads you can't beat a4wd Yeti, if not the better mpg from a 2wd is more attractive.

• Like 2

exactly, and I used my old fabia same way but that it doesn't change the fact with good AWD system you could ride on such rode not 19 mph but 60 mph at least and still feel secure.

I could easily have gone faster down that road Offnote but

1) I am not a f***ing idiot

2) My wife and child were in the car

3) I have some consideration for other users such as the farmer whose tractor I had just passed

• Like 2

I own an AWD Yeti. I'd happily own a 2wd one though and have plenty of real world experience of them. For the snowy season id rather have a 2wd fitted with Winter tyres, over an AWD on summer tyres in fact. The extra ground clearance of the 2wd Yeti can be very useful. Ignore comments made by members with limited experience of the various Yeti configurations.

• Like 3

petrol versus diesel engine is no longer a big factor but yeti AWD haldex system is the most valuable asset in this car

I would honestly say that if (like me) cost is an issue, then the 2wd models are quite adequate. I'm thinking of swapping my Octavia for a Yeti and we've towed a caravan successfully for 23 outings over the last three years and only once had an issue with getting the 'van off a site. This occasion necessitated accepting help from the site owner who pulled it off with his Nissan Patrol. Even the 4wd Yeti wouldn't have helped under these conditions.

There are safety reasons of course for opting for 4wd and if I could afford it, I'd choose this option as it improves on road safety too. But I can't, so I won't.

Ta

• Like 1

I would honestly say that if (like me) cost is an issue, then the 2wd models are quite adequate. I'm thinking of swapping my Octavia for a Yeti and we've towed a caravan successfully for 23 outings over the last three years and only once had an issue with getting the 'van off a site. This occasion necessitated accepting help from the site owner who pulled it off with his Nissan Patrol. Even the 4wd Yeti wouldn't have helped under these conditions.

There are safety reasons of course for opting for 4wd and if I could afford it, I'd choose this option as it improves on road safety too. But I can't, so I won't.

Ta

I have towed a light caravan (1000kg) for a number of years behind a range of "Softroaders" but now have a Yeti 110 2WD. Do I notice any difference? No, except lower VED. :-)

Fred

• Like 1

2WD or 4WD, it really does not matter that much in general driving. Trying to say it HAS to be a 4WD is as pointless as saying you HAVE to get the biggest most powerful engine and the highest trim level with every single option fitted regardless if it makes sense or not.

There are pros and cons for each.

Look at it as just another version of the Yeti. As long as it does what you want of it and it fits your needs/wants and fits the budget then that really is all that matters.

The Yeti adoption experience is a generally a very pleasurable one right through the range.

• Like 1

No contest.. I've had both.

I don't know how you can compare the 2wd to the 4wd... It would be like trying to convince a landrover owner they don't really need 4wd.

My 1.2tsi was a huge let down after selling my F2. We tried to be practical and mentally convinced ourselves we did'nt need to spend the extra bucks for a 4wd. The 1.2 was fun, great cornering ability and a much better car around town than the F2... Until it rained or got onto wet grass.. or accelerating over undulating ground. We took a financial dive and changed over to the 4wd ( I'd rather say AWD) and could'nt be happier. The 2wd was'nt bad.. But at the end of the day... It was just a front wheel drive with a quirky boxy body that made it kind of unique and a happy drive. It can't go more places than a corolla or a megane, or most other FWD cars... So why pay more. ( in this country) However, get the 4wd and its a whole different bang for your buck. We tried them all... Subaru, BMW, Koleos, Xtrail etc.. There's just something about the 4wd that you appreciate every time you get in and drive.. And we're not talking off road.

Edited by kimosabi
  • Like 1

No contest.. I've had both.

The 2wd was'nt bad.. But at the end of the day... It was just a front wheel drive with a quirky boxy body that made it kind of unique and a happy drive. It can't go more places than a corolla or a megane, or most other FWD cars... So why pay more.

So you say that the 2wd isnt bad then? And maybe a slightly quirky shape, unique and a 'happt drive' is enough to make the majority of owners happy with their choice?! If I didnt want to take mine off road when on holiday and didnt want the awd drivetrain from the traction advantages on the road (mine isnt running standard power and torque) then I'd very happily have a 2wd 1.4TSi Yeti - cracking combination of performance, running costs.... all round ability really. And why pay more for the 2wd Yeti when it cant go to more places than a Megane?! Interior flexibility? Better visibility? The advantage of greater ground clearance for the snow days? Better dealers (from my experience)? That 'uniqueness'? Some may be country related but I think the 2wd Yeti is ideal for the majority of the UK's terrain and an average family's requirements. :)

• Like 2

Bingo! was his name...

p.s.

at least one honest opinion here.

I dont think calling me a liar or anyone else thats taken the time to try to help the OP out with advice is helping you integrate into this community any quicker.

So having now agreed with your friends comments such as "The 1.2 was fun, great cornering ability and a much better car around town than the F2... " and "The 2wd was'nt bad.. But at the end of the day... It was just a front wheel drive with a quirky boxy body that made it kind of unique and a happy drive." .... because that is exactly what many owners require of their car. No more, no less. In the UK, a very small minority need the additional traction that the awd model offers.

• Like 1

AWD haldex system is the most valuable asset in this car

we're not arguing about it here - you can get from point A to point B even in wheelbarrow, it's your choice.

The point is answering OP to his specific question about value for the money and resell value

which both are way greater in case of AWD version.

So in effect you are arguing as the majority disagree with your view. Thats surely the definition of an arguement - two parties with opposing views being aired? You say "buying a 2WD yeti IMO is nonsense" which I strongly disagree with. Id actually say that for the majority of owners, it makes MORE sense than having the additional running costs (fuel, tax, servicing, insurance....) of the AWD model. Certainly from driving the 1.2tsi and 1.4tsi at length, they actually have handling advantages over the heavier awd models in some circumstances.

Yeti Man,

As many of us have found the best way of dealing with the "out of tune" one is to ignore him, for which there is a button in your Profile area.

And as he has been quoted here so we've had to read him, it must be remembered that he can only give an opinion on the marketplace in his country, which is very different to that here in the UK.

• Like 3

As we own a 1.2 Tsi and a 170 CR 4x4 I can honestly say the following:

The 1.2Tsi is more nimble, lighter and more responsive to drive.

But the 2.0 diesel 4x4 has the superior traction out of corners and when pulling away.

I like driving both, but in some ways the 1.2 is more rewarding because it responds to driver inputs better being around 200kg lighter.

However, now the 2.0 deisel is mapped to 200bhp it does well.

It's a bit heavy, but has great balance and some real grunt. It covers ground quicker than people expect.

• Like 2

As we own a 1.2 Tsi and a 170 CR 4x4 I can honestly say the following:

The 1.2Tsi is more nimble, lighter and more responsive to drive.

But the 2.0 diesel 4x4 has the superior traction out of corners and when pulling away.

I like driving both, but in some ways the 1.2 is more rewarding because it responds to driver inputs better being around 200kg lighter.

However, now the 2.0 deisel is mapped to 200bhp it does well.

It's a bit heavy, but has great balance and some real grunt. It covers ground quicker than people expect.

Couldn't have put it any better myself. I hold the 1.2 and 1.4tsi in very high regard, mainly due to the lighter front end and sharper turn in. Brilliant engines in a surprisingly capable chassis.
  • Like 1