First car

Easy-Pd

First car I legally drove on my own was a 2002 1.9 tdi pd fabia estate in elegance spec. Wasnt mine really, was my mothers lil runabout that we shared for a while.

First car of my own was the 1.9 tdi octavia classic I bought off my father (at family rates ofc) when he got his new one. Then the vrs, and now shared ownership of Bruce the celica.

1954 Morris Minor given to me by my parents in 1962. Traded in for a 1953 Mercedes 220 5 months later. The Mercedes was previously owned by the Jack Barclay and was of only 6 RHD versions imported into the UK. It is still registered.

CItroen ZX "Elation" 1.4i, bought new in 1995. It ran near perfectly (apart from the radio locking itself one night) for 5 years, then I rolled it on a greasy patch of road.

Not my first car but I had a 1.9D sans turbo, glacial performance but always did 47mpg regardless of how I drove it and put in it or on it. Repeatedly ate its own brakes and the electrics were mystical in their operation.

First car was a 1983 mini sprite in red with fat 10" alloys and temperamental electrics.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

5695110773_3f44b88143_z.jpg

(photo for illustration purposes only but chuffing close) Mk1 Vauxhall Astra estate for £350. I wanted a Nova SR for my first car, dad came home with this. I wasn't amused until he pointed out it had the 1300 ohc engine from the Nova SR in him. Cheapish insurance, relatively pokey and mechanically unbreakable. If only Vauxhall's corrosion protection was so robust.

A MKI Astra as well but the 1200cc :( .

Cylinder head had gone - guy that sold it to me must've known as there was a 2L bottle of water under the passenger seat...I've never bought a car in a private sale since - prefer to pay more so that I at least have some comeback.

Mine -this is a lookalike

http://uk.search.yah...-8&fr=yfp-t-702

Wolesley 1500 , in 1967 cost me £165 . The green one would have been almost identical . Same cornering characteristics as a Moggie Minor - get ambitious and rear end overtook front .

Wolesley 1500 , in 1967 cost me £165 . The green one would have been almost identical . Same cornering characteristics as a Moggie Minor - get ambitious and rear end overtook front .

Always liked those and the Riley 1.5 - the Riley was a bit more powerful (68bhp - in total!).

Mk1 Vauxhall Astra estate for £350. I wanted a Nova SR for my first car, dad came home with this. I wasn't amused until he pointed out it had the 1300 ohc engine from the Nova SR in him. Cheapish insurance, relatively pokey and mechanically unbreakable. If only Vauxhall's corrosion protection was so robust.

The estate was reputedly faster than the hatch (sources include Autocar and Motor magazines from back in the day).

When I passed my test i was given a car by my Dad the follow day, which was part of the agreement that I didn't get a motorbike.

He had just bought a 3.5l V8 Rover SD1, so I got his old car.

This was an X reg Ford Granada Estate, 2.8 V6 carb engined in GL spec. It was 9 years old at the time.

In hindsight something smaller and more economical would have been more sensible, but it was fun and stopped me driving loads as it seemed to average about 12mpg.

I kept it for three years before downsizing at 20 years old.

Can't believe I got that 21 years ago...

It was originally designed to be the replacement for the Morris Minor. It never actually happened and the Minor was still in production when the Wolseley was phased out.

It was originally designed to be the replacement for the Morris Minor. It never actually happened and the Minor was still in production when the Wolseley was phased out.

Really? AFAIK the Wolseley always had the B-series, and was intended to be more up market than the Minor.

Really? AFAIK the Wolseley always had the B-series, and was intended to be more up market than the Minor.

AFAIK Moggie had the A series versions ( 850/ 950 CC) engines , whilst the Wolseley had a single SU carb 1499 B series engine. Other models had twin SU versions. Whilst Moggie had a plain dash, Wolseley had a wood effect dash ,and a few other guages,bwith he same rear end handling characteristics as the Moggie .

Citroen Saxo 1.1X. Was basic as hell, no power steering, no electric windows and no central locking. However it was the most reliable car I've owned. Did about 15k in it and never spent a penny on it besides an MOT. HPI'd it one day at work to find out it had been scrapped. Shed a small tear that day :(

image_zpsff76fe3d.jpg

• Like 1

"Extended Morris Minor theme with the same excellent suspension and steering, the good old B-series engine, and a closer-ratio 'box which wasn't quite as good as it sounded on paper. .... The 1200cc version (old-type A40 engine) is very rare and exclusively for the Irish Republic. The slow driver's Riley 1.5."

A-Z of Cars 1945-1970 (Michael Sedgwick & Mark Gillies)

1989 Astra Mk2 1.3 Merit 3dr.

Bought in 1996 for £1500.

Hideously basic, a clock and FM radio were optional extras it lacked.

But It cost £30 to service, tyres were £30 each and other than a dud battery it never let me down. No pictures but it was hardly a looker anyway.

Library pictures....

vauxhall-astra-150064c.jpg

1965 Mini Cooper S, DUH415C, red with white roof and hydrolastic suspension. 970cc only 400 built ( including Austins and Morris). Revved to 8000 out of the box, 10 with forged rockers -you could get them off an early Morris Minor!

Cost me £240 -I part exchanged it for a Cortina :-(. Good ones go for nearly 30k now -sob.

My first car was a Renault 5, I paid £175 for it and it was the same colour as this and had five doors the same as this.

2747187044_3327213b44_z.jpg

This car died as the rear cross member rotted out of the sill, from this I went to Mini automatic, LandRover series 3 and so on and on and on.

1965 Mini Cooper S, DUH415C, red with white roof and hydrolastic suspension. 970cc only 400 built ( including Austins and Morris). Revved to 8000 out of the box, 10 with forged rockers -you could get them off an early Morris Minor!

Cost me £240 -I part exchanged it for a Cortina :-(. Good ones go for nearly 30k now -sob.

Coolest first car by a mile.

A 1989 Vauxhall Nova 1.3 SR. I loved it, was the envie of all my mates, at 17 I was the don. Still had the OEM + taste in mods so wasnt over done or chavvy. Southend every weekend, went all over the place in it. Made the mistake of replacing it when it started running rough, ended up with a dog of a Punto. Left it to rot on my dads driveway before he got it scrapped, total idiot! (me not him)

Frontnow.jpg

I put some GTE wheels on it, nice headuint and 6x9's. It was in great condition too. Bit sad really looking back at it :sweat: *wonders off to look on ebay* . . .

A 1989 Vauxhall Nova 1.3 SR. I loved it, was the envie of all my mates, at 17 I was the don.

You must be about my age (36) that was the achievable dream car for us at 17.