New Wind deflectors

angrybeard

SWMBO will not cook sprouts or bake beans, she said it reduces wind noise because she can keep the window closed :o:notme::angel:

• Like 3

At the risk of straying back to the original topic, I ordered Heko front and rear wind deflectors when I knew my car was on its way, I picked the car up on Wednesday and the deflectors arrived on Thursday. I fitted them last night and my initial impressions are that firstly they will let me leave the car with the windows cracked down a couple of inches without coming back to find a shower has soaked the seats and switches and in my opinion wind noise is less with the deflectors than before but also - ventilation but no draught! So on a practical level I'm very pleased with them and fitting was very quick and easy - certainly no more than 15 minutes to fit all four and part of that was peeling away the layers of packaging.

Looks are a matter of personal taste but I think being a black they fit in well with the Yeti styling, picking up the black on the pillars but they are sufficiently transparent that they do not increase the apparent width of the A pillar - you can still see through them with care and approaching headlights should be no problem at all.

If anyone is still thinking about whether to buy or not, the photos might help. (And for anyone that's interested the car's in Regency Green, which seems suddenly to have become popular on the forum, with the Gobi Sand interior).

post-101775-0-21423600-1370014371_thumb.jpg

post-101775-0-61734100-1370014372_thumb.jpg

post-101775-0-15814400-1370014374_thumb.jpg

Paul52 - nice to see a Yeti with 'special' wheels. As I suggested in another thread, it might be helpful to others in the future if you would let us know your particular story re Skoda and 16" wheels.

Looks are a matter of personal taste but I think being a black they fit in well with the Yeti styling, picking up the black on the pillars but they are sufficiently transparent that they do not increase the apparent width of the A pillar - you can still see through them with care and approaching headlights should be no problem at all.

If anyone is still thinking about whether to buy or not, the photos might help. (And for anyone that's interested the car's in Regency Green, which seems suddenly to have become popular on the forum, with the Gobi Sand interior).

Fitted my front ones today as well and as you say very easy to fit with no window wind down problems first time. I did notice the mirrors actually hit them when folded in, but they are flexible enough to do no damage to the deflectors. Where did you get the rear ones from as I am having problems locating them?

Jonceebee, the wind deflectors came from J&J Automotive:the car in with them gives their web-site as www.jjautomotive.eu. I actually found them on e-bay for just short of £30 for front and rear and although it showed something like 20 available/20 sold I thought I'd try and place an order, it was accepted and they arrived within a few days - excellent service.

Brijo, as to the 16" wheels, rather than the standard 17", I'd had a lot of trouble with the low profile tyres on my V50 Volvo - noisy, poor traction (lethal in snow) and puncture magnets - so when i decide it was time to change cars one of the criteria was not to have low profile tyres if possible. Doing the round of dealers I went to see and test drive one of the outgoing Octavias, didn't really like it but thought the styling of the Yeti sufficiently quirky to ask for a test drive and by the time I was off the forecourt it felt like I'd driven them for years! So that sorted make and model, I wanted leather seats (fabric and a Jack Russell Terrier's hair are not a good mix) so that led me to the Elegance trim but the 17" wheels. Because of my low mileage/short trips the Greenline wasn't an option and anyway a spare wheel was always an essential. I spoke to the dealer who couldn't help, tried Skoda Support who were very helpful and informative but also couldn't help. So I bit the bullet and placed my order. Then i found this web-site, read the various comments about the pros and cons of 16" and 17" wheels from people using both and saw the advice to try contacting someone well up in Skoda UK for help. I had nothing to lose so I e-mailed Alasdair Stewart - [email protected] - but knowing that his e-mails almost certainly are screened by a secretary or possibly customer services started it off asking that if this was the case would they please either forward it to him or provide a postal address where i might write to him. I then politely explained why I really wanted the smaller wheels, that it wasn't a deal-breaker if this wan't possible but could he help? A couple of days later I got an e-mail saying it was sorted out and from then on I got regular updates on progress from both my dealer and Skoda UK, which shows good customer service.

I appreciate that no manufacturer wants to play pick-and-mix with their range and by preventing dealers approving these variations it probably screens out 95% of those wanting to change the spec. of their car but it does seem that a mixture of persistence and politeness can pay off.

(If those more familiar with the ways of forums like this think it worthwhile and think it would help other members I'm happy to post this on another or new thread. Or at least try to).

• Like 1

Having done much research to find the best ones, I fitted both front & rear Heko deflectors (obtained via ebay) in 2010 but with regular motorway work I wasn't happy about the increased wind noise from the front window area. It wasn't too noticeable on "ordinary" roads but at 70 (ish) the extra noise offended my ultra sensitive ears.

So the fronts came off (and were sent on their merry way to that cheerful Graham fellow in Llanidloes) but I've retained the rear deflectors which I still find quite handy as I can leave the rear windows an inch or so open - just enough to get some ventilation even when the metaphorical cats & dogs are descending from above. I unselected Auto Rain Closing on Maxidot, otherwise the car closes the windows anyway when locked, which rather defeated the object of the excercise.

Do I regret parting with the fronts? Yes, I probably do now as I am no longer doing the motorway mileage that I once was, but I'm happy that they went to a good home. (Yours is a good home isn't it Graham?!!!)

• 3 weeks later...

After a few weeks of the deflectors, I have found wind noise to be obtrusive, particularly the front windows. So I experimented a little, by removing them, adding a little extra double backed tape (really thin type) refitting and not putting the metal gripper parts back in. I left the windows up all night and lowered again the following morning. The tape was holding them very well with no movement. Taking to a dual carriageway and reaching 70 MPH there was no noticeable wind noise above the normal expected and a few days later no sign of deflector movement and no increase in wind noise, so they will be staying in place.

Sounds like a good fix, some of the double sided tape my wife uses for her crafting projects would stick almost anything. I'm always nicking for my 'projects'.

• Like 1

+1 Handy things to have around these crafty type wives

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

My missus is crafty too.

Leaves her cards at home when we go shopping for big stuff!

Back OT... Jon,

Where did you put the tape, presumably across the top edge?

My missus is crafty too.

Leaves her cards at home when we go shopping for big stuff!

Back OT... Jon,

Where did you put the tape, presumably across the top edge?

The tape I purloined from her card box was extremely thin and very sticky and about 6mm wide. I cleaned the plastic with glue remover (again from the craft box) and put a length all the way around the top edge (none window side). As I stated earlier left overnight with the window up and pressing against the edge, next morning it set very solid. I can recommend this as I am sure the clips when fitted leave an air gap between the glass and rubber.
  • Like 1