Step By Step : Retrofit FL Climatronic Module to PreFL

Following on from another thread on this I thought I would post my step by step guide to this.

First up you need to get a Climatronic module from a FL car (either with or without heated seats accordingly)

Basic Retrofit

This was what I started with - Stream Stereo with PreFL Climatronic Controls

IMG_3308.JPG

First step is to remove the plastic trim surround. This just pops off. Use some trim tools to pry the trim out. There are clips all around although I found it easier to start at the top and work my way around.

IMG_3318.JPG

Next Step is to remove the old Climatronic. Then we start with the large black connector. The first two cables we need are pin16 (Red/Blue) and pin20 (Black/Yellow)

IMG_3324.JPG

Next cut both cables and tape up the end of pin16 from the plug and pin20 from the loom

IMG_3326.JPG

Next solder the pin16 cable to pin20 and then tape/heat shrink to protect

IMG_3328.JPG

To finish use some fabric tape to make it all look factory again.

2-Motor Fix

Some 2006/2007 cars seem to have 2 motors to control the recirculation fans/diverter flaps. The FL Climatronic are designed only to control a single motor unit as found in the FL cars.

If you have 2 motors, without this fix you will find that after turning the AC on, after approx 30-60 seconds the flaps will start to switch to recirculate and you will loose the fresh cold air.This involves the two smaller plugs.

First get the two plugs and separate the cables we are going to be working with

2013-06-01%252018.53.58.jpg

Next Cut the Pin7 (purple/yellow) & Pin8 (blue/red) cables on the brown connector and the Pin6 (green/white) cable on the black connector

2013-06-01%252018.55.44.jpg

Now make the following connections and solder them:

On C Connector (brown):

Pin 7 (purple/yellow) to Pin 10 (yellow/green)

Pin 8 (blue/red) to Pin 9 (white/green)

On B Connector (black):

Pin 6 (green/white) to Pin 7 (grey/green)

2013-06-01%252019.05.32.jpg

Tape up the joins and also the spare cables

2013-06-01%252019.08.42.jpg

Finally tape all the cables back together again for the factory look

2013-06-01%252019.15.24.jpg

All done :)

IMG_3384.JPG

System Setup:

First Step - Basic settings: Hold button AC + button straight blowing (third button from left). You will see both buttons leds blinking one after another..let them run till they come to the normal status

Second Step - Compressor Settings: Starting the engine and hold LONG-AC + heating rear window.Let it run till it comes to the normal status.

2013-05-11%252012.27.32.jpg

To Come...Fitting Quality Sensor

Parts:

1K0 907 659 Quality Sensor (optional)

1K0 971 939 C Holder (optional)

1J0 972 483 A Quality Sensor Conector (optional)

000 979 009 E Quality Sensor Wire X2

On C Connector (black):

Pin 1 from Quality Sensor to Pin 20

Pin 2 from Quality Sensor is Ground goes to Pin 19

Pin 3 from Quality Sensor to Pin 4 on Climatronic

• Like 4

Nicely done that mate, good guide. FL panel looks so much better in my opinion.

What are those yellow things in the vents - air fresheners?

Adam

• Like 1

Yup wrong forum. Any Mods feel free to move it over :)

In terms of the stereo link-up I think this would restore it (it may need an updated CAN gateway but not 100% sure)

Hi Rob,

Can you confirm that the problem has gone since doing this mod? IE flaps no longer go into recirc after a min?

How are all the other functions from the climate panel now you have made the changes?

The problem has gone for sure as it was blowing cold air all the way home from work yesterday.

In terms of other issues I am not sure about the recirc function now. It doesn't 'seem' to work at the moment so I will need to try and dig into that one.

Great write up, I fitted the FL panel to my vRS a few months back, mine works perfectly without doing any changing of the wires, well perfectly apart from the memory, everytime I get into the car, the temperature is set at 22deg, not a biggie to change, but does that wire swap allow the unit to remember whatever setting it was at previously, like the old climate panel did?

Also, you say the to hold the AC button and rear heated window to program the compressor, but the button you have marked in the diagram is the front window defrost button if I'm not mistaken??

Thanks

Great write up, I fitted the FL panel to my vRS a few months back, mine works perfectly without doing any changing of the wires, well perfectly apart from the memory, everytime I get into the car, the temperature is set at 22deg, not a biggie to change, but does that wire swap allow the unit to remember whatever setting it was at previously, like the old climate panel did?

Also, you say the to hold the AC button and rear heated window to program the compressor, but the button you have marked in the diagram is the front window defrost button if I'm not mistaken??

Thanks

If you want the panel to remember the last set temperature the Pin 16 to 20 needs to be done

Your 2008 car probably has the single flap

• Like 1

Thanks

100% correct - Typo on that one. Annoyingly for some reason the edit button has gone for me. Will need to fix that first to enable me to edit (I have a feeling its something to do with Tapatalk app)

Edit: Looks like its because I am not a paid member so can't edit the original post...shame as it will only harm the reliability of the information posted thus use for others

Edited by Rob_Quads
  • Like 1

I did wonder if the recirc function would work or not as i thought it would need to control each of the motors separately to be able to do this as it shuts one off not the other.. could be wrong but that was my understanding..

May hold off doing this mod then until we can be certain everything will work.. then ill have one of the looms from Ed..

Edited by Dread1977

Looks good, are there additional features on the FL Climatronic or is it just aesthetics?

There is an air quality sensor switch but you need to fit the sensor. You actually lose controllable temp range, 18-26 plus lo and hi as opposed to 16-29 and the seat heating is 3 notches not 5. But it looks much more modern and I personally prefer it by a long way.

Adam

Bit of a gimic probably but it detects noxious gases in the air e.g. exhaust fumes and auto sets to recirculate.

Adam

I guess that wont work if the actual button to for the recirc on doesnt work, maybe this is something thats is just unavoidable unless you do the single motor conversion.. which aint happening!!! on another note, what would happen if you just disconnected one of the motors and left it off? assume you would get errors in vcds, but wouldnt the operation of the other flap still function therefore working as 1 motor?

I would have thought that as long as its in the open position when you disconnect it that the remaining motor should work as intended.. food for thought, I wont be able to try it for at least a week though as im away so assuming you get to it before me, can you let me know what happens?

OK Had a little play around with mine. Mine is different to yours dread. One flip is behind the head unit, the other is much further down (around 20cm)

The Air Flow flap motor controls where the air goes i.e. feet vents, drivers etc. If you disconnect it then all you get is air blowing where ever it was when you disconnected it i.e. you have to have that connected really.

Disconnecting the plug to the bottom motor i.e. the fresh air / air recirc flap does nothing.

I think the instructions should really be a case of of swapping the cables over rather than joining them in parallel.

I'm not 100% sure how the single motor system works as it looks like its a single motor that has various different flap options but to have all the direction options & fresh/recirc in 1 set of flaps seems quite a lot.

So just need to work out how to trigger the recirc motor to turn.

Im guessing that you are living without the recirc option now then Rob? or have you managed to fathom out whats going on with your one?

Im at the point now that for the features it adds and aesthetics its not worth me doing and ill live with it as it is.. id rather have fully functioning climate - So quite possibly ill have the FL climatronic for sale if anyone wants it.. unless someone works out what the hell is going on with these dual flaps....

I've been spending some time studying all the wiring diagrams and I'm slightly confused whats causing the problems without the re-wire on the recirc connection. According to the wiring the new module should not be using the pins at all i.e. I am not sure what is triggering the recirc motor to close as the pins should be idle.

I did realise i was playing with the wrong connectors before so will try and have another play tomorrow evening.

I'm in two minds at the moment whether to go with the new unit or just go back to the old one.