James' VR6T 4 Motion Golf. Now SOLD!

James I

It has a flat six Porsche engine and a couple of turbos. Currently in a rebuild phase as it snapped a crank, new one ordered and then it will all start again, serious piece of kit though.

• Like 1

Work started today on fitting bucket seats and harnesses, everything is measured now, a plan is drawn up and materials will be sourced, we are keeping the forward/backward movement but loosing height adjustment which isn't too much trouble.

Off to source materials now ready for the fit up next weekend.

I will also be removing carpets and centre console etc, all this shiz weighs a lot, just removing all the rear trim yesterday and driving it today made a noticeable difference.

Here are a few pictures from my day fabricating seat runners and brackets to allow by Buckets seats to be fitted in the Golf, it was a fiddly job and more work has to be done tomorrow as the passenger seat is not fitted yet, I have half fitted my harnesses too, this will be finished tomorrow.

A trip to Maplin is in order for some 2 ohm resistors to keep the air bag light off too.

Seat out

9985036703_6e5beb22db_b.jpg

Gluing the brackets to the base.

9984821005_cc416ebecc_b.jpg

Eye bolts fitted to the threaded holes where the rear seat belts fitted.

9984966923_375c64416f_b.jpg

9984891566_d73de622b3_b.jpg

Today I have painted and fitted my bucket seat to the home made MK 4 seat runner, I painted it too, this being well out of character for me! Just need some new wheels now for the runners.

I have also been removing all interior carpet, sound deadening and trim, centre console, gear stick gaiter and such like, so lots of paint showing in the car now.

As a result of removing seats, I have had to buy a couple of 2.2 ? resistors, these will be wired into the car on the white and green cable on the passenger side and white and blue on the drivers side, I have given them a quick try and they work a treat to keep the airbag light off  :happy: 

I have also changed the brake fluid today, the shiz that came out was green! So nice new Mobil 800 has gone in now.

So, I was about to start fitting and soldering the resistors and fitting the Black Vue too but it os going dark now!

Pictures to follow.

• Like 2

Airbags are now a ting of the past, resistors soldered in and no lights on the dash, cables shortened too and fuel cap opener moved to one of the blank switches on the dash.

Tar is also removed from the floor and tomorrow passenger side bucket seat will also be finished and fitted, final prep before my track day on Tuesday is to lower the front an inch or so as it is sitting high after the coilovers were put on. Pictures to follow.

• Like 1

Well, once again this car does not fail to bemuse me!  I have just gone to lock it up and the central locking does not work off the key, I notice the electric windows have stopped too and no interior lights..  I have not touched anything to do with these things but now they don't work.  :wall:   

I guess it is a forum trawl to find the same issues, see you later  :sweat:

Yes Jason, convenience thingy..   I have been reading up on R32OC, seems fuses 6 and 14 can also be the issue, so nipped out with the torch and fuse has blown  :whew:   I will get some tomorrow as they are small things and I haven't got any.

Air Bag wiring removed and by passed with a 2.2 ohm 3 watt resistor, this is soldered in between the white and green wire or white and blue wire, the brown wire just gets cut and shortened, I think this is the trigger wire if it were needed.

Did this before I removed the tar off the floor.

10104793286_19fb8d9dd5_b.jpg

Bucket seats fitted and harnesses and they don't look bad at all.. even if I do say so myself  :happy:

Also replaced my fuse and have working electric windows and central locking again, so roll on Tuesday so the next thing can break  :wonder:

Today saw a first target achieved, the whole point of this Golf is to use it on the track, Oulton Park was booked and today saw us arrive a little late, however, out on track we went.

Slightly steady at first as I was aware it was me who had bolted everything together!! I was surprised at how well the car handled, nice turn in, good and flat with little body roll and also a good amount of grip from the Federal 595 RS-R tyres.

The day did not go without a few issues, the first being the ESP that would not leave me alone, when cornering the ESP would try and slow things down and was hampering progress, over lunch the decision was made to pull the fuse for the ABS system, this in turn would disable the ESP and other nanny driver aids. A quick check up the road into Oulton Park with PastyBoy in the car to see if throttle response was effected and of course to see if the brakes still worked, a large number 11 on the road confirmed we had brakes.

Back out on track the car was different animal altogether, fantastic turn in and high cornering speeds, we had a slightly loose back end set up and this seemed to suit the AWD system as a quick flick in on the brakes and a stab on the gas made for some exciting cornering.

We also had an engine management light on, this was a lambda sensor short to ground, so probably melted a cable somewhere, with the engine management light on, traction control light, ABS light and the red brake warning light on the dash looked about ready for Christmas  :giggle:

We managed to cover 180 miles today, from home to the circuit and home again, this was done on a full tank of petrol, cost £80 and the indicated MPG was 12, this is better than I was expecting to be honest.

Before the next session I will need to tweak a few bits and I also want the tracking and camber adjusting, after information from the instructor as to what to do next.

I am sure this car will keep me busy for a few years yet.

• Like 1

Did I mention all my hard work was tried out on track yesterday? 

Here she is, working hard and guzzling fuel, 12 mpg is respectable is it not?

• Like 1