Octavia 3 or Superb

Looking to change me Octavia 2

And got 2 choices really, Octavia 3 or superb. Superb is cheaper and a lot of ex demo etc for sale at good money. Don't really need a car that big and in fact worried its just to big after an Octavia ( parking etc). Way I see it Octavia better size and newer car technology kit etc. superb less cash and better ride.

Any advise from any one who has driven both cars etc would be great.

I have spent some time negotiating on a superb. My local dealer had 2 they wanted to get rid of. Wanted to confirm price/payments prior to ordering.

Today I ordered an ....... Octavia.

Although it was slightly more expensive, the low road tax and higher mpg means I will save a fortune.

The superb is really too big for what I wanted, and with the new octy being bigger than the old one I am going from an estate to a hatch.

Good luck.

• Like 1

I would say Octy - new tech, no bigger than you need.

BUT, have just seen the facelifted Superb - see Octavia vRS thread started by Martyn vRS. That looks very, very smart! Great upgrade Skoda! Not sure when available in the UK though.

• Like 1

I too had this same dilemma and had negotiated a very good price on a Superb elegance 170 DSG hatch but the deal had to be for a stock vehicle and the dealer didn't have my ideal colour and spec so I asked about the then unreleased Octy 3 but the dealer couldn't give me any details. I then just telephoned Hortons, the supplier of my then Octy 2 vRS and the rest is history! Very glad I went for the Octy 3, I wouldn't want anything bigger and you don't need any more rear legroom than the 3 provides. I was looking at the Superb as I wanted the ivory leather interior, yet in the 3 I've been able to combine it with a race blue exterior, my favourite metallic afte having a couple of vRS's in it, so it was a win win situation. I love all the toys in the 3 and hopefully the infotainment system will be more reliable than the old Columbus, despite it taking me 9 hours to update the maps but that's another story !!

Octavia is a newer concept, has the new MQB platform, lighter so better fuel consumption. I got into both at my dealer and really could not see any difference. Maybe if I am used to some things in one or another it would be something else. But coming from another brand Octavia vs Superb had me choose the Octavia...

Edited by Harkonnen

I came from 4 years driving a Superb 170CR Eleg Twin Door to the new Octy III. I must say that if space is your main issue compared to the Octy II, worry no longer, the Octy III is as wide as a Superb (only 2mm between them on the rear bench seat) and the rear leg/knee room is a vast improvement over the Octy II, admittedly not as vast as the Superb but I can set the drivers seat for myself (6' tall) and get in behind with 2-3" of spare knee room. The Octy III boot is also only 5 litres smaller than the Superb.

Initial observations are that for a car of similar list price when new £24K including options (admittedly that is comparing 2009 Superb prices with 2013 Octy III but I only paid £21K for the Octy and a pre-FL Superb same spec as my old one would have been the same price with the zero VAT offer), I have lost xenons with adaptive front lighting, full leather, rear bum warmers, rear blinds, sunset glass and Columbus but gained a better park assist system, heated front screen, SDHC/SDXC compatibility, better bluetooth as 2009 Superb was RSAP only, better trip computer/eco tips, driving mode selection, better mpg, faster acceleration, alcantara seats do not overheat my arse, auto dimming rear view mirror, race blue paintwork, and probably a few more toys that I can't remember at the mo cos there are so many of them!

So, in conclusion, I am very happy with my choice, and would recommend the Octy III to any existing or prospective Superb purchaser, and imo, despite the facelift, the Superb Twin Door still has a butt ugly rear end! :giggle:

• Like 2

Matt, agreed on your last point. If going Superb, it has to be Combi / Estate. The 'hatch' is 'butt ugly!'

• Like 2

You really need to drive them both yourself, as the MKII Octavia is not in the same league IMO as the MKII Superb (estate) for comfort and build quality.

However I feel you have made your mind up already by stating that you feel the Superb is too big for your needs anyway.

Neither are a bad car and maybe the MKIII Octavia has narrowed the gap a little to the Superb?

I am so glad with the last few posts.

was looking at the superb. over the past couple of weeks realised it was way too big (driving Octy L&K estate at the moment).

the new octy hatch (which I have ordered) is larger than my estate.

willl lose some toys (sunroof, xenons - whcih I swore I would never move away from) but that is compensated by sat nav, and DAB (whcih I have wanted for ages)

car arrived at Emden yesterday, so hopefully 2-3 weeks (if not sooner)

You really need to drive them both yourself, as the MKII Octavia is not in the same league IMO as the MKII Superb (estate) for comfort and build quality.

However I feel you have made your mind up already by stating that you feel the Superb is too big for your needs anyway.

Neither are a bad car and maybe the MKIII Octavia has narrowed the gap a little to the Superb?

If you are lucky enough to be buying new, I would agree that the Superb on face value is considerably better value at the moment, especially if you can still get the VAT free deal on the facelift (???) and Octy II as quoted above is definitely not in the same league as the Superb II. However, it's the Octy III that was being compared here, which has moved the Octy to a new level to the point where the only gap is literally down to the extra length of the Superb, they are effectively same width, same boot size. If the Superb loses the VAT free deals, then the Octy III is better value imo as the extra standard kit in the Superb will be reflected in the higher price.

A couple of other observations that the Octy III is better for is I don't catch the side of my left knee/shin on the centre console and as the accelerator is top mounted there is more room for your right foot under the pedal when using cruise.

It's good to see that they have addressed the CO2 emissions on the Superb FL. The CR140 TDI DSG that I have is down from 159g/km to 137. The nearest equivalent Octavia CR150 TDI DSG still beats that at 119 g/km. Basically the same difference again. If I stay with the company car rather than taking salary I will still be 'trading down' to the Octavia.

Great car though the current Superb is it has been well and truly eclipsed by the latest Octavia. Skoda are going to do something very special when it is ultimately replaced by an all new model.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Go for the Octavia Mk III without doubt. I had a Mk II Octavia Elegance and 'went up to' a Superb SE and was quite disappointed in my choice. Just taken delivery of my new Mk III Elegance with plenty toys and am highly delighted. An Octavia is an excellent car in every way.

I've had 2 Superbs and really liked them both (a hatch and currently the estate). Having just tested the latest Octavia 150CR though, it's apparent the game has moved on. The Octavia is quieter, the 150CR has similar performance to the 170CR but uses a lot less fuel, the boot and passenger space in the new Octavia is such that the Superb no longer has such an advantage. A new Octavia Elegance 150 for me at the end of the year most likely, just waiting to have a look at the final spec of the VRS version and see how that drives before making up my mind.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I've had 2 Superbs and really liked them both (a hatch and currently the estate). Having just tested the latest Octavia 150CR though, it's apparent the game has moved on. The Octavia is quieter, the 150CR has similar performance to the 170CR but uses a lot less fuel, the boot and passenger space in the new Octavia is such that the Superb no longer has such an advantage. A new Octavia Elegance 150 for me at the end of the year most likely, just waiting to have a look at the final spec of the VRS version and see how that drives before making up my mind.

Hi,

since you tested both Superb and Octavia III, can you say which one drives better?At the start of this post markmi mentioned that Superb drives better than Octavia III?

I own Octavia 3 HB 1.8 TSI Elegance DSG with loads of extras and I have driven my friend Superb 2 sedan 2.0 TDI DSG Comfort (only Alcantara leather).

I am ~178 cm tall, so there is loads of room on the back (even for tall people). For notes 2011 Accord estate Executive has less for rear passengers. The boot is pretty spacy - accommodates about 3 bodies. Feels about the same compared to Superb 2 (just may be a little smaller?). As far as the crank goes - 1.8 TSI is much more snappier, but on the other hand drains more fuel compared to diesel. For me I considered Superb 3 petrol with less extras, but the bottom line was missis liked a little shorter car more so I went with Octavia with more extras, which in the end is more economical, has enough space for us, is pretty snappy and looks great. If you decide to go estate, then your boot area is even bigger - for myself, if I need to move a fridge in like 3 years I will call up my dad to drive that estate of his :-)

At the moment the only downside for me is the engine - it is not "loose"... Hoping to see better economy down the road after coming months (550 km...).

Go and take a look at both cars. Make yourself comfortable in the driver seat, go sit in the back. Open the boot and have a look at the space. May be take a look at the estates if you need even more space.

I own Octavia 3 HB 1.8 TSI Elegance DSG with loads of extras and I have driven my friend Superb 2 sedan 2.0 TDI DSG Comfort (only Alcantara leather).

I am ~178 cm tall, so there is loads of room on the back (even for tall people). For notes 2011 Accord estate Executive has less for rear passengers. The boot is pretty spacy - accommodates about 3 bodies. Feels about the same compared to Superb 2 (just may be a little smaller?). As far as the crank goes - 1.8 TSI is much more snappier, but on the other hand drains more fuel compared to diesel. For me I considered Superb 3 petrol with less extras, but the bottom line was missis liked a little shorter car more so I went with Octavia with more extras, which in the end is more economical, has enough space for us, is pretty snappy and looks great. If you decide to go estate, then your boot area is even bigger - for myself, if I need to move a fridge in like 3 years I will call up my dad to drive that estate of his :-)

At the moment the only downside for me is the engine - it is not "loose"... Hoping to see better economy down the road after coming months (550 km...).

Go and take a look at both cars. Make yourself comfortable in the driver seat, go sit in the back. Open the boot and have a look at the space. May be take a look at the estates if you need even more space.

Hi,

If you have driven both with one drives better then? I think that yours with 1.8 TSI Octy should have multi-link suspension on the back. What it is like compared to the Superb one?

Last month I drove both relatively close together and for me the Superb was the better car. The cabin was a nicer place to be and felt much better built. The Octavia III felt cheap and I didn't like the electric steering.