Fuel consumption

My consumption figures are written down for all to see in INK not pencil, I can categorically assure you that there is no making the figures up, and I'm sorry, but I take exception to the implication that because I am an ex police officer, I was in the business of 'making things up' which your comments implied!

A lot of diesel owners on here feel the 'need' to justify the mpg claims of the Diesel engine. In reality they get nowhere near the 60mpg daily figure but they won't tell you that. I drive a LOT of different cars for work and all of them are diesel, I am required to note the mileage for each journey taken and have full computerised print outs of the fuel each car uses from our own fuel pumps. This is a constant running total over the whole year and accurately gives the consumption of each vehicle wether its a car/van/HGV etc.

Our cars also have data logging with a red/amber/green light system on the dashboard which alerts fleet manager to harsh driving etc so you cannot rag the life out of the vehicles or if you do expect to get your access to fleet vehicles withdrawn.

The whole point of above is that most of our diesel cars are in the 35-42 mpg range over the whole year doing pretty big mileages not the 60+ often mentioned on here. If people are getting those sort of mpg's daily then they must be sitting slipstreaming lorries at 56mph 24/7. As an example I have just last week had a Kia Ceed 1.6 Crdi ecodynamcs with stop/start to use for a few journey's when I got back and checked the fleet system it had averaged 51mpg in total for a week and that is our best car out of the Ford/VAG/GM fleet !

People over egg it on here fella so your car is operating well according to our fleet !

So on the basis of your fleet MPG, anybody who reports decent MPG on this forum is a liar?

I don't care what you say about data logging red/amber/green, I guarantee that fleet is driven as hard as possible without setting the warnings off. You only have to look on any motorway to see how fleet vehicles are driven to the detriment of MPG..........tailgating, causing unnecessary braking and accelerating, full throttle accelerations etc etc.

When the cost of fuel is not coming out of the drivers pocket, the drivers don't give a monkeys, and it always has a detrimental affect on MPG. So you cannot use data from fleet MPG as evidence of widespread lying when it comes to private individuals reporting MPG.

• Like 1

I've just filled up my 2.0 PD140 tonight and its done 53.6 MPG over the last tankful. It averages 49-52 normally, it's never got worse than 46 MPG in all the years I've owned it, and I'm not a slow driver by any means.

Driving style makes a big difference. On a recent 300 mile run down the A1 I tried different speeds as I had plenty of time.

The first hour I drove at around 65mph and maxidot (I know not the accurate way) recorded 58mpg... which I was pleased about for a CR VRS.

The rest of the journey (3 hours) was a bit more lively and the mpg dropped to 53mph which again I was happy with.

The return journey was a swift one :angel: and returned 48mph. Again I was happy with this... fun drive and what I felt is good mpg.

My average week of A and B roads returns around 45mpg. My last car 2.0L TDCI C-Max only returned that on a long motorway run.

I'm Happy :rock:

Well my old Fabia vRS TSi estate averaged 32mpg according to the maxidot.

Traded the car for an Octavia vRS Blackline CR 170 DSG estate and thats currently averaging nearly 45mpg and frankly i've hardly been gentle with either car.

Its rare for any car to return exactly its official mpg never mind significantly bettering it but bearing in mind the Fabia was supposed to be able to achieve 45mpg and the Octy 47mpg pretty obvious which ones getting closer to its claimed figures.

Diesel trumps petrol in the efficiency stakes every time....in fact most diesels are still more efficient than a hybrid car.

• Like 1

Sorry all you doubting Thonases. My CR VRS regularly hits over 55mpg on a run. That is based on fill to fill.

Have you checked to see if an old coke bottle or tennis ball has rolled under the 'loud' pedal? ;)

• Like 2

my mpg is in my sig for all to see.

John

Apparently now that so many of us access forums on iPhones etc, added to forums enabling users to hide forum signatures, plus the fact that there are several browser add ons which helo to get rid of the damn things, your mpg is actually there for 'the minority' to see, rather than 'all'

I did read somewhere the percentage of people that still either have to put up with them, or actually like them, but can't find the link.

• Like 1

Need to fill up tomorrow as computer says I've only 65 miles left in tank. But I have done 620 miles already - tank average is reading 53.3 and individual journeys have shown up to 64.9. From a vRS I reckon that ain't bad.

Sarge.

pd vrs, 58 on a good day including the obligatory hammering out of the severn bridge tolls. do you do a long journey? my mpg is not so good until she is fully warmed up. with egr delete and elephant mod, this can be 10 mins even in summer. my mpg is cause I do 150 per day I reckon.

mpg is the new 0-60

sent via Playbook and Tapatalk

So on the basis of your fleet MPG, anybody who reports decent MPG on this forum is a liar?

I don't care what you say about data logging red/amber/green, I guarantee that fleet is driven as hard as possible without setting the warnings off. You only have to look on any motorway to see how fleet vehicles are driven to the detriment of MPG..........tailgating, causing unnecessary braking and accelerating, full throttle accelerations etc etc.

When the cost of fuel is not coming out of the drivers pocket, the drivers don't give a monkeys, and it always has a detrimental affect on MPG. So you cannot use data from fleet MPG as evidence of widespread lying when it comes to private individuals reporting MPG.

No I did not call anyone a liar just that they are being 'economical' with the truth and will generally over egg the pudding, it's human nature. As for our data logging system it measures acceleration/braking and even cornering and I guarantee you do get an interview if it goes red and gets 'flagged' on the system ! Red line the car it will go to amber straight away, they can see where you are and how fast you are going at any time on the system, people have lost their jobs for the company speeding policy. I take your point and have witnessed that most fleet rag it about all the time however I would say its more than its worth to drive like that.

As for an AVERAGE of 72mpg driving around the Highlands and islands then no poetic is what I would call it or wrong data. And for our ex policeman I wasn't implying at you personally however I was stating facts about alledged police force dishonesty that has been published, and google throws up even more but I don't want to drag this thread off anymore than it has been.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2009/mar/11/police-officers-criminal-records

Have you checked to see if an old coke bottle or tennis ball has rolled under the 'loud' pedal? ;)

What's one of they there loud pedals then?

my mpg is in my sig for all to see.

John

Like wise.

Summer mpg is a lot better than winter mpg!

To the OP, get a good Indy to run some diagnostics as your MPG is below par.

The whole point of above is that most of our diesel cars are in the 35-42 mpg range over the whole year doing pretty big mileages not the 60+ often mentioned on here. If people are getting those sort of mpg's daily then they must be sitting slipstreaming lorries at 56mph 24/7. As an example I have just last week had a Kia Ceed 1.6 Crdi ecodynamcs with stop/start to use for a few journey's when I got back and checked the fleet system it had averaged 51mpg in total for a week and that is our best car out of the Ford/VAG/GM fleet !

Apologies for a possibly daft question, but is your system definitely calculating MPG in imperial gallons rather than US gallons?!

• Like 2

Apologies for a possibly daft question, but is your system definitely calculating MPG in imperial gallons rather than US gallons?!

You just beat me to it!

Very easily done if you are using an online calculator or convertor. Convertors for litres to gallons in calculators and phones are very often converting to US gallons.

50mpg (imperial) is 42mpg (US).

To convert litres to imperial gallons you should divide by 4.54

You just beat me to it!

....and the lack of any reply suggests that we were correct. That would take the '35-42 MPG" quoted for the fleet up to around 42-50 MPG, and the Ceed's 51 MPG to 61 MPG, which is much more what I would have expected.

• Like 1

That would take the '35-42 MPG" quoted for the fleet up to around 42-50 MPG, and the Ceed's 51 MPG to 61 MPG, which is much more what I would have expected.

Bingo!

I think you have something there.

My dec 2012 cr vrs has averaged 42.54mpg over its life time and has been as low as 36.58.

My daily commute is roughly 20 miles each way on A roads, and is often limited to about 50-55 stuck behind wagons first thing in the morning. Slightly quicker coming home. I seem to average about 425 miles per tank. Should I be expecting more than this (I was hoping for at least 500 miles when I bought my car)

Seems low to me. My last fill up returned 48.5 actual and included a round trip to wales on A roads. Only time I get below 40 is on short trips when the vRS spends most of the journey warming up, but thats normally offset by 50+ on a run. As an example I did a 1 1/2 hr ride out with my IAM observer yesterday and did a combination of all types of roads inc town, A, B and unclassified roads, dual carriageways and M way driving and got a maxidot 51.9, which based on experience of my maxidot will be circa 50 actual.

My trip was showing 58.8mpg heading north on the A9 last Sunday. Yes I was driving like miss daisey, but I still did 60mph. Never have I seen it show so high in the 5 years that I've owned the car.