Skoda Nexus Sat Nav - Worth Anything?

Hey all.

I've got the Skoda Nexus head unit in my VRS and while it's pretty good I much prefer my phone's Satnav connected to a head unit via bluetooth to manufacturer's.

Are they worth anything? I know they're not quite up to the Columbus or newer but as I wouldn't need the in-boot 6 disc changer I'd also be able to flog that with it. Then I'd maybe just put a standard double-DIN Pioneer bluetooth head unit in.

Any thoughts?

• Like 1

Same as I have in my VRS - I have been thinking about this lately too. They are also known as a MFD2.

They sell for around the £200-300 mark on eBay still... take a look at this recent completed listing (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-T5-TRANSPORTER-SKODA-SEAT-SAT-NAV-MFD2-CD-DVD-RADIO-NAVIGATION-SYSTEM-/121118393217?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c33380381)

Wow didn't realise they sold for that much. That may well fund a nice head unit and the adapter kit for it.

edit: Even though it says Skoda are they the same unit as in all VAG cars? Just wondering if I could also get away with putting T5, Golf etc on the listing.

Edited by dirk1978

Yep, all the same between each brand. The only difference is that for the different VAG brands the backlighting colour on the buttons is different... Obviously for Skoda it has green backlighting but will code into all VAG cars...

Same as I have in my VRS - I have been thinking about this lately too. They are also known as a MFD2.

They sell for around the £200-300 mark on eBay still... take a look at this recent completed listing (http://www.ebay.co.u...=item1c33380381)

With all due respect I think that's hugely optimistic, and the seller got very lucky with an uninformed buyer. In fact, it looks like it's been re-listed for some reason anyway: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-T5-TRANSPORTER-SKODA-SEAT-SAT-NAV-MFD2-CD-DVD-SYSTEM-/121124289540?

Given the age of the unit, its lack of functionality/user-friendliness and the fact you can pick up an Amundsen for ~£250 I think you'd be looking closer to £150 for the mfd2.

With all due respect I think that's hugely optimistic, and the seller got very lucky with an uninformed buyer. In fact, it looks like it's been re-listed for some reason anyway: http://www.ebay.co.u...-/121124289540?

Given the age of the unit, its lack of functionality/user-friendliness and the fact you can pick up an Amundsen for ~£250 I think you'd be looking closer to £150 for the mfd2.

Your right, that one was relisted. However there are several on there with £100 bids with 3 or 4 days left to go and I have seen several creep over the £200 mark when I have been looking what they sell for... Misinformed buyers or whatever, they do sell for that money! Hence why I said £200-£300 in my original response :notme:

Personally I don't think the MFD2 is that bad to use, I had a lot worse in my previous Vauxhall (CD70 Navi)...

Edited by R8MXX

Worth selling the changer with it, or separately?

Yeah the satnav is very decent compared to some. But (in my opinion) nothing anywhere touches Google Navigation on an Android phone.

Pity, I've just ordered a line-in cable :)

Worth selling the changer with it, or separately?

Yeah the satnav is very decent compared to some. But (in my opinion) nothing anywhere touches Google Navigation on an Android phone.

Pity, I've just ordered a line-in cable :)

Could be if someone was wanting to do a full install, might make it more valuable.

I always liked the Google Navigation, however hated it when you were in a bad data signal area and it could not download the maps.

The HERE maps on the new Nokia Lumia range (have just taken delivery of a 920) are far superior as it lets you download the maps for the country you are going to use it in to the handset. The UK is about a 250mb file and it can instantly navigate rather than waiting for the Google Nav to download the data or loose the mapping when you go into a bad data singal area...

Could be if someone was wanting to do a full install, might make it more valuable.

I always liked the Google Navigation, however hated it when you were in a bad data signal area and it could not download the maps.

The HERE maps on the new Nokia Lumia range (have just taken delivery of a 920) are far superior as it lets you download the maps for the country you are going to use it in to the handset. The UK is about a 250mb file and it can instantly navigate rather than waiting for the Google Nav to download the data or loose the mapping when you go into a bad data singal area...

You can cache however much of the map you want on the Android stuff. Just zoom in or out and press make offline. If you plan a route it also automatically caches map data before you start as well : http://www.google.com/help/maps/helloworld/android/directions.html#feature-android-offline

I've heard the maps on Nokia stuff has always been really good but I've never used it so can't comment. I just know from my own personal experience I've never had a problem using Google Nav even when going through dodgy signal areas. And the fact I can just say "Navigate to home", with all the added benefits like live traffic, up to the minute maps etc. make it a far better proposition to stuff like Garmin and Tom Tom personal nav devices.

• 9 months later...
  • 5 years later...

I think Mike's gone on a long vacation mate...............Well, from Brisky anyway. And the post is from 5 &1/2 years ago.

He is well missed tho.