Rear wiper

Disconnected the plug by wiper motor in the end. I think it's the motor so will stop it and look see

Typically this is normally the Wiper Motor that goes wrong.

These wiper motor asm just go banana's when water ingress gets into the electrical components. This is due to the crud design.

to use the water jets, the water travels through the whole motor asm via a metal pipe to the external water jets. This pipe corrodes and let's water into components.

Most if not all strips downs  will fail as it is the metal tube that is part of the top cover is the culprit. So unless you replace that no point. And you can't just replace that as dealers sell whole asm.

I have had 3 go since i have had mine  

I fitted a blank in and missed the wiper TBH so ended up replacing again. 

I see. Can pipe in motor be removed? I could make some stainless ones

It is attached to a mechanical cam that when fitted is tight against the is part of the top cover. It needs a very good seal to stop leaks so to me a extremely hard job to replace / create one  with a good seal. Also the other end on the tube is contoured to allow the external jet to fit tightly to it.  

here is a pic of it when i did a rebuild and clean(second part from bottom right)

SkodaVRSFMICBumpermod005_zpsa6d667f3.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

It is attached to a mechanical cam that when fitted is tight against the is part of the top cover. It needs a very good seal to stop leaks so to me a extremely hard job to replace / create one  with a good seal. Also the other end on the tube is contoured to allow the external jet to fit tightly to it.  

here is a pic of it when i did a rebuild and clean(second part from bottom right)

Your photo and comments gave me the confidence to strip my rear wiper motor which had intermittently 'stuck'. The motor wouldn't come out easily but there was enough space to clean the commutator with a pipe cleaner soaked in switch cleaner. I also removed a lot of the white grease and re-lubed it with white spray grease. It now seems fine and at least has delayed the need for a new one. :whew:  :happy:

• 1 month later...

Mine used to have a mind of its own, starting, going halfway across the window then stopping, juddering a bit, then going, stopping. All this without even being switched on!, the metal pipe which runs through the spindle for the screenwash had fractured and when 'squirting' the screen, it was actually squirting inside the motor, which kinda screwed it up somewhat. Ive since had two fitted, both off scrap cars, and have given up trying to find a decent second hand one and got a new one from GSF for £55. Fit and forget for the rest of the life of my car me thinks.

Mine used to have a mind of its own, starting, going halfway across the window then stopping, juddering a bit, then going, stopping. All this without even being switched on!, the metal pipe which runs through the spindle for the screenwash had fractured and when 'squirting' the screen, it was actually squirting inside the motor, which kinda screwed it up somewhat. Ive since had two fitted, both off scrap cars, and have given up trying to find a decent second hand one and got a new one from GSF for £55. Fit and forget for the rest of the life of my car me thinks.

Pre-facelift? On my facelift car the washer nozzle is in the high level brake light, not the wiper spindle.

Pre-facelift? On my facelift car the washer nozzle is in the high level brake light, not the wiper spindle.

Post facelift here (hatch) and the washer is in the wiper arm..

User Lang Hayr specifically says that his Octy is an estate (as is mine).

ah fair nuff, cant see vehicle type on the auld mobile version :thumbup:

• 7 months later...

My car has started with the rear wiper going on its own without being switched on. The opinion here seems to be that  - they all do that sir  - Anyone know what size blanking plug to get to I can chuck the whole mechanism in the bin ?

They don't "all do that". It's most likely down to a loose seal nut on the spindle, or a leak in the rear washer pipe in the LHR wing under the CD stacker.

• Like 1