Does anybody read the manual?

killaypirate

Just taken delivery of my new yeti, very pleased. But Czech numbering must be different since there are many examples where The pages are completely to pot. e.g. page 26 on one side but page 75 on the reverse side.

Nobody except TP reads the manual, then we all ask him what it says :rofl:

Had a quick look at the last two manual updates from November 2012 and May this year in on-line PDF electronic form and on first glance the page numbers throughout look OK. Would probably suggest a simple print error in this case.

On-line manuals (for others besides myself to read :giggle: ) can be found here;

http://new.skoda-auto.com/en/mini-apps/owners-manuals/yeti

TP

• Like 2

I read the online manual back to front loads of times while I was waiting for mine to arrive #whatbogsarefor

Reading in Arabic?

I took delivery three weeks ago and the pages in my manual were all out of sequence. I've returned it to the dealer for replacement.

Of course people read the manual. As in "When all else fails, read the manual". :happy:

Or RTFM for short. :giggle:

• Like 1

I took delivery three weeks ago and the pages in my manual were all out of sequence. I've returned it to the dealer for replacement.

"You're playing all the wrong notes" Andre Previn.

"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!" Eric Morecambe.

:rofl:

• Like 3

A manual, or any instructional pamphlet provided by the supplier, is just the manufacturers "opinion" on how things work; we, the users, know best ;-)

• Like 3

I always read Owners Manuals, every word.

Then try to figure out and spot the 'Lost In Translation'.

Very easy to Spot if you compare the 'Owners Manual' for a Skoda with the Same Engine or Functions of a VW/Audi,

or more so a SEAT.

Terms read totally differently and are often not the correct information you require in English.

Procedures can be given totally differently when the translation is from CZ.

(Asian/Far Eastern Manufacturers have a slightly better excuse i think than the European Manufacturers..eg. VAG!)

george

The blighters are always changing the Yeti manuals. I've just downloaded the third version since my order, and the car still hasn't come. What do they keep changing, apart from the date and the number of pages?

• 2 months later...

We picked up our white 1.2 Yeti last week, and have very quickly realised that the manual is not a lot of use. No wonder people don't bother reading the manual.

On the plus side it's beautifully printed, and the pictures are fine, and it feels like it's a good weight so it must be worthwhile reading.... but it's written by people who understand the Yeti and its controls in great depth. It's then read by people who don't and that's where the information gap opens up.

So a book simply filled with descriptions of what button/indicator does what does not help when you're trying to find out how-to-do-something. I wish manual writers would sit down and think about that before they start another one.

For instance, the nice man at Skoda programmed a few stations into our Amundsen radio in the handover. Later that night I switched on the radio to add more and found that all the presets had disappeared. I could remember how it was done but I thought I'd check with the manual and see if I'd missed anything out, but the manual does not explicitly say how to store a station in the presets.

Second example was about fuel, I thought I'd check what grade of fuel my Yeti needs. Bad mistake looking in the manual! The manual has an in-depth description of four different types of fuels for various cars, covered in great detail but no indication of what mine might need. Useless.

Oh well it makes a nice double drinks coaster.

Why not write a manual that tells owners how to do important things they need to do?

Same with the tyre pressures. When I collected mine I asked the salesperson, I showed him the sticker on the inside fuel cover. he looked at it for a mo then said,"I haven't a clue what that's all about."  He had to go back into the workshop & ask about.He came back & Said," We think it's 32psi" Is he right?