Fuelly- good,bad or indifferent?

awfabia

I recently saw reference to Fully website on BRISKODA so checked out their website and video.

I always keep a fuel log notebook and wondered how this site improves on this-same data would go on , I guess?

Any BRISKODA people tried it? Benefits? Problems to avoid?

My paper mpg is roughly the same as trip computer on Fabia. Yeti comes next month so that's why I'm posting here.

( if I change my BRISKODA 'name' from awfabia to,say, awyeti, would my number of posts go back to zero?)

Just a thought.....

I use an app called Road Trip lite. It's free, really easy to use and takes the headache out of calculating mpg. I've attached an example of the records for my Octavia.

I also use Road Trip, gives you loads of stats and graphs, and will even give you your average MPG with different fuels/conditions.all the info syncs up via Dropbox onto my PC.

Used to use fuelly and did for 14000 miles. Stopped because I couldn't work out how to do half fills meaning some fills would look great and others crap. It even out but I couldn't be bothered to do it. I just put fuel in, burn it and repeat

Used to use fuelly and did for 14000 miles. Stopped because I couldn't work out how to do half fills meaning some fills would look great and others crap. It even out but I couldn't be bothered to do it. I just put fuel in, burn it and repeat

There's a tick box for "partial fill up" but I've not tried it yet, I tend to just fill it up and then do so again when I've used it all - mainly because my 'normal' routes don't go past any filling stations so the marginal saves by having half a tank would be negated by the drive specifically to buy more.

Normally I'm happy to just work out what I'm getting manually but I'm using fuelly as 1) it's easier to just send people a link when they ask what I'm getting and 2) It'll be interesting to see if/how severely the monthly averages change throughout summer/winter.

• 4 weeks later...

I always use the trip computer on the car for my mpg over the tank but just signed up for fuelly. Trip comp says 53.8 mpg average over the tank but fuelly says 46.5 thats a big difference? Anyone able to tell me why please?

simple - the trip computer is always over optimistic, don't think I have ever driven a car where it has been less than 10% wrong. 

Presuming your reading was true brim to brim, 2 reasons really.

AFAIK it is illegal for car speedometers to under read - probably for the obvious reason that it could be telling you you were ding 70 mpg when you were really doing 75. - I know that if I sit at a steady 70 mph using the sat nav (these ARE accurate) then the speedo will say 76. I "think" that manufactures are allowed to under read the mph by 10% This all feed through to the OBC and the calculated mileage and MPG. 

Manufacture then exploit this to make the car look more fuel efficient than it really is. Some are more accurate than others - My current Mazda OBC states 56 mpg over the life of the car but the true mileage is 53mpg. previous BMW was 51/46.4 and the Octy Dsg before that 49/43. 

simple - the trip computer is always over optimistic, don't think I have ever driven a car where it has been less than 10% wrong.

Presuming your reading was true brim to brim, 2 reasons really.

AFAIK it is illegal for car speedometers to under read - probably for the obvious reason that it could be telling you you were ding 70 mpg when you were really doing 75. - I know that if I sit at a steady 70 mph using the sat nav (these ARE accurate) then the speedo will say 76. I "think" that manufactures are allowed to under read the mph by 10% This all feed through to the OBC and the calculated mileage and MPG.

Manufacture then exploit this to make the car look more fuel efficient than it really is. Some are more accurate than others - My current Mazda OBC states 56 mpg over the life of the car but the true mileage is 53mpg. previous BMW was 51/46.4 and the Octy Dsg before that 49/43.

My last Renaults trip computer always unread the mpg, stating say 47mpg when really on brim to brim it was 50mph. It did this every week I filled it up.

Also sat navs aren't always accurate! Although they do tend to be more so than some speedometers.

Edited by mdon

don't think I have ever driven a car where it has been less than 10% wrong. 

My last tank the trip comp stated 59.5 mpg, real figure was 57.6 - I make that 3.3% optimistic.

My trip computer also under-reads in general for mpg. But I still can't match the official figures so that is elementary...

My Superb is generally about 10-11% too high - have used Fuelly on my last Octy, Audi A4 and now the Superb.

It is a useful reference when researching new cars as you can gather "real" world data