SPORT MODE.

Quick question,how often do you put it in sport mode,personally on a 15 mie journey maybe quick half mile blast,do some people keep it in sport for miles?would it bother the car to drive twenty miles in sport,is it really just for overtaking?I need to know the answers,after I have driven in sport I always worry about mistreating the engine,or will the car be ok,I know it drinks fuel in sport,but its maybe lasting engine damage that I am talking about,Obviously the engine is made with sport mode in mind....but I cannot help thinking,I have only had the car four months ex demo.Thanks.Over and out.

Well, reading this i just realised i have never even tried it in mine!! (2600 miles done).

I use D or manual. I guess i should give it a try. 

I can't imagine there would be any chance of engine damage, rev limiters are in place to protect against any harmful over-revving and redlines are set for a reason. Plus, it's all under warranty, so go for it!

What,you have never tried it in sport,really?I cannot believe that,you may as well have a Micra or something,thats the whole point of a vrs.Actually I have not used the gear thingy's[1600miles]Right I am going to 'go for it'be it on your head,if anything blows I will say you told me to,GO ON PUT IT IN SPORT,YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO.

I tend to save sport for special occasions as it feels ver aggressive in daily driving and like you, sometimes think it hangs on to high revs a bit long. Usually for spirited driving i tend to pop across to manual, however I have no illusions that Sport mode, thirsty as it is, makes the car quicker on a B road than when I am changing.

I share a route home on great twisty B roads with a work colleague with a tuned MK IV R32 and the DSG in sport offers strong compensation against the power the Furby gives away to the golf.

Mpg is non existent and it sometimes makes me feel im thrashing the engine so I only treat myself to 'S' every so often.

At all times respecting the national limit ofc.

I use 'S' to slow down/decelerate,

drop back 2 gears.  so off the throttle and knock off speed quickly. Without using brakes, so Engine Braking.

Then back into 'D' and ready to boot it if thats how i am driving.

The reason i do not stay in 'S' other than its is revving too high when accelerating, is that you can not knock across to Manual like you can in 'D'.

I do not find that 'S' gives a fast overtake, its revving too high and not giving the best power delivery at between about, 2400- 3500 with Supercharger and turbo,  & 3500-5000rpm on turbo..

Then using 'D' lets you go across to 'M',

and come down gears singly, then knock back across to 'D' for acceleration and let the box go up the gears.

'S' diving over a distance does use more fuel than driving in 'D', and might well be slower over the same distance.

('S' gives you a 6 speed gearbox, & 'D' is 7 gears.)

I do not use the paddles preferring to use the stick to do down shifts. & 'D' to do upshifts.

george

I think if you exclude hybrid techniques switching between modes, definitely depending on the road, you could find yourself getting more out of the car in D, purely my personal opinion but I would see D more appropriate for more open sweeping sections where Sport would rev too high.

experimenting with both 5 days a week on the same short, sharp twisty section of B road I personally found D gave me less confidence and some of the changes weren't the most intuitive, Sport may be a bit wasteful with the revs but seems to be a bit more 'on it' when you want to keep in the power through tight turns/rise and fall etc. just how I find it.

I would temper all of that though by saying that I think this is a car that can be a bit deceptive and at times gives a perception of speed ahead of the progress you're actually making and vice versa.

I can understand anyone that finds the paddles less than user friendly, they often seem out of reach.

Paddles for blasting fast down a B road people, PADDLES! Lol

Correct.D equals normal relaxed and economical driving.

Push the lever to the left and use the paddles (or stick if you prefer) to have total manual control and maximum performance.

Sport could be useful without the manual control but as it is it's an irrrelevance.

• Like 1

Correct.D equals normal relaxed and economical driving.

Push the lever to the left and use the paddles (or stick if you prefer) to have total manual control and maximum performance.

Sport could be useful without the manual control but as it is it's an irrrelevance.

It would be easier to agree but for a couple of small points:

Sometimes it could be quicker to have both hands on the wheel

The paddle shift can be hard to access under different degrees of wheel lock being applied so not a great choice for me

Even when you argue that all the busy stuff shifting/braking should be done on a straight where possible, so use the gear stick, I think the DSG has up/down change the wrong way around, Ive driven much inferior auto/smt boxes than the DSG but most shifted up by pulling back towards the driver, for me the right way round, more satisfying and more sense seen as acceleration pushes the driver backwards.

• Like 1

Personally I like the + and - where they are so they match the xbox steering wheel. :)

Good point bout the paddles while the wheel is turned though.

Long roundabouts can leave you hanging onto gears or trying to find the + while your arms are turned

Almost every roundabout I approach I knock it down to Sports Mode.

Use tiptronic, either stick or paddles to push it up to 6 th and 7th gear if the road ahead is level or downhill to improve fuel consumption.

Use Neutral down long hill also to save fuel.

Doing the above you can have your cake and eat it ie get over 400 miles from a tank but also have so 0-60 in 7 seconds, blow off some 2 litre wiesels, breaks the journey monotony.

Use Neutral down long hill also to save fuel.

Im sure other people will correct me if im wrong but i thought that was a false economy. You're using fuel to keep the engine ticking over in neutral, but in gear the ecu cuts off the fuel as the turning engine is doing the job on its own. Your maxidot tells the story as your mpg shows --- going down a hill in gear.

• Like 3

Sport is fine for traffic light grand prixs and thats about it. As said by others, forget Sport, stick it in manual and use the paddles or stick, you have control not the box of electronics :rofl:

• Like 1

Im sure other people will correct me if im wrong but i thought that was a false economy. You're using fuel to keep the engine ticking over in neutral, but in gear the ecu cuts off the fuel as the turning engine is doing the job on its own. Your maxidot tells the story as your mpg shows --- going down a hill in gear.

You may use a tiny bit less fuel in the descent of the hill but the friction losses from gravity, potential energy, driving the engine will result in a lower speed at the bottom of the hill and if you measure the mount of fuel for the overall journey coasting,  and burn and coast is the proven optimum hyper-miling technique. To full understand it one needs to use the laws of thermo-dynamics, takes quite a bit of brain ache but worth it to truly understand system efficiencies and get the best results.  

==========================================================================

The four laws of thermodynamics define fundamental physical quantities (temperature, energy, and entropy) that characterize thermodynamic systems. The laws describe how these quantities behave under various circumstances, and forbid certain phenomena (such as perpetual motion).

The four laws of thermodynamics are:

Zeroth law of thermodynamics: If two systems are both in thermal equilibrium with a third system then they are in thermal equilibrium with each other. This law helps define the notion of temperature.

First law of thermodynamics: Heat and work are forms of energy transfer. Energy is invariably conserved, however the internal energy of a closed system may change as heat is transferred into or out of the system or work is done on or by the system. It is a convention to say that the work that is done by the system has a positive sign and connotes a transfer of energy from the system to its surroundings, while work done on the system has a negative sign. For example, changes in molecular energy (potential energy), are generally considered to remain within the system. Similarly, the rotational and vibrational energies of polyatomic molecules remain within the system.  From the above, all the energy associated with a system must be accounted for as heat, work, chemical energy etc., thus perpetual motion machines of the first kind, which would do work without using the energy resources of a system, are impossible.

Second law of thermodynamics: An isolated system, if not already in its state of thermodynamic equilibrium, spontaneously evolves towards it. Thermodynamic equilibrium has the greatest entropy amongst the states accessible to the system. Perpetual motion machines of the second kind are thus impossible.

Third law of thermodynamics: The entropy of a system approaches a constant value as the temperature approaches zero. The entropy of a system at absolute zero is typically zero, and in all cases is determined only by the number of different ground states it has. Specifically, the entropy of a pure crystalline substance at absolute zero temperature is zero.

============================================================

• Like 1

It is totally true that zero fuel is used when on the overrun (coasting in gear) in modern engines - diesel or petrol, but an amount of fuel is used to maintain tickover when in neutral (coasting or stationary).

I thought it was a very bad idea to use neutral in an automatic? Or does that not apply to DSG type boxes? 

I would imagine some stress going through the engine/box when you put it back into gear whilst moving and it guesses which gear to use....

As others have said - use D for normal daily use and paddles/stick for fun as S just revs the nuts off it.

The ONLY time I use S is when I'm sat in the passenger seat....... If Wifester is driving too slow for my taste and needs abit of a boost I'll knock it back into S until she starts complaining lol!

• Like 2

The latest VW gearboxes (on the Q series cars) have coasting built in to their program.

Only do i when I am a long way from anyone else and there would be no demand for evasive power in the few tenths of a second to engage drive mode.

Having control of the vehicle is subjective.  A snail changing manual is out of control during gear changes then? 

Go down a long enough slope in 'D'  and its showing as doing 200 mpg but it is not.

Maybe does less than 25 mpg actual to get up there or up the other side.

By the time you do the return trip you will have done the economy of the type of driving you did that day, not much effected by how long the gearbox was in 'N'.

Even as an avid Hypermiler i have never ever put an Automatic in 'N' to coast a hill.

(Hypermilling is a usefull tool for driving boring stretches to get where you can play and waste all that you saved IMO.)

george

• Like 1