Problems/Faults

Sorry to hear about ur probs Andy, think you might need to edit ur Member Title! I've had a few issues too but seems to be settling down now I've racked up 10k, I've got fixes for the following rattles:

Steering column-dealer fix by removing refixing divers footwell heater pipe using 'special' tape to make the connection tighter.

Passenger side A pillar next to headlining-just gave it a 3 minute diy massage with a happy ending!

Glove box-used a kitchen unit rubber stop on top left side to make shut tighter

Drivers door card-pushed sticky back felt between trim and door frame to stop rattle when resting arm on top.

Instrument binnacle-squirted liberal amount of WD40 all round junction with main dash, then gave it a good wiggle!

I've also had major Amundsen failure on several occasions, but it re-boots eventually, then operates normally, done this several times, have logged it with dealer for future ref.

Front doors also retaining water when parked on driveway, downward slope, booked in with dealer to resolve during first scheduled service, next Mon.

Hope the above helps, happy to explain any of the above in more detail if people want to try the diy fixes, just PM me.

Sorry to hear about ur probs Andy, think you might need to edit ur Member Title! I've had a few issues too but seems to be settling down now I've racked up 10k, I've got fixes for the following rattles:

Steering column-dealer fix by removing refixing divers footwell heater pipe using 'special' tape to make the connection tighter.

Passenger side A pillar next to headlining-just gave it a 3 minute diy massage with a happy ending!

Glove box-used a kitchen unit rubber stop on top left side to make shut tighter

Drivers door card-pushed sticky back felt between trim and door frame to stop rattle when resting arm on top.

Instrument binnacle-squirted liberal amount of WD40 all round junction with main dash, then gave it a good wiggle!

I've also had major Amundsen failure on several occasions, but it re-boots eventually, then operates normally, done this several times, have logged it with dealer for future ref.

Front doors also retaining water when parked on driveway, downward slope, booked in with dealer to resolve during first scheduled service, next Mon.

Hope the above helps, happy to explain any of the above in more detail if people want to try the diy fixes, just PM me.

Still fairly happy LOL

As long as the dash goes back in rattle and scratch free and everything lines up I will be OK with that.

My issue is entirely with SUK, not the dealer who have been excellent. I want some form of protection/warranty against future issues related to the wiring issues and the dash removal, as I don't feel it is fair that the dealer is having to sort these out due to a manufacturing **** up.

The rest of the issues are relatively minor and quite easily resolved, I have found that the passenger seat height adjuster rattle is fairly easy to cure, just push the adjuster horizontally away from the side of the seat and the rattle goes away for days. Poor design and quality control though.

• Like 1

I will be interested to hear the fix on the water storage issue! I am at 8,700 and it is indicating service soon, so will be able to tell them there is a fix. When I asked before they said they didn't know if there was a fix.

Will try the A pillar massage, that rattle is driving me mad, and the passenger seat rattles when a passenger gets out. I fiddle with the height adjuster but it doesn't stop it.

I will be interested to hear the fix on the water storage issue! I am at 8,700 and it is indicating service soon, so will be able to tell them there is a fix. When I asked before they said they didn't know if there was a fix.Will try the A pillar massage, that rattle is driving me mad, and the passenger seat rattles when a passenger gets out. I fiddle with the height adjuster but it doesn't stop it.

Will let you know how I get on with the water storage.

When I did the A pillar massage, it would still make a clicking noise while I was 'dry rubbing' it but seems to have cured the buzzing when driving.

I seem to have escaped the front seat bug so far!

Edited by Matt Pez
  • Like 1

And the most worrying, and may yet cause me to reject the car, the entire dashboard has had to be removed to rectify a wiring fault. Led downlighters and background illumination on a number of switches wasn't functioning. The loom had been damaged behind the dash where it was rubbing on the metal frame of the dash. This has been rectified apparently, but my concern is that I will have rattles and a misaligned dashboard when I get the car back, and possible future electrical issues. I have logged a case with Skoda regarding this as it is a manufacturing fault, and depending on what happens next I may well reject the car under SOGA.

Yes, really worrying!

Skoda really do need to take this one seriously, if it is the process of installation that has caused a damaged wiring loom behind a dash there might be need for a potentially large recall unless there is absolute belief this was a one off and not the result of standard processes and poor loom positioning. 

Remember most dashboards are installed through the windscreen aperture during manufacture, removing one with screen in-situ is difficult enough and if any of the bundled loom was obviously damaged the potential for further damage separating it out to do the repair is itself significant.

I would watch anything electrical like a hawk and at the first sign of anything strange go and get all fault logs checked.

Canbus is a great idea till there are wiring issues, then it turns to nightmare, I experienced it myself when someone who should have known better decided Jaguar Technical Services suggested fix was too complex and a simple "wire around the problem area" would solve my door mirror switch problem. A total of 47.25 hours was spent by the technicians at the second dealer sorting out the previous 'rectified' issue after numerous strange and non-reproducible electrical faults throughout the car.

Will let you know how I get on with the water storage.

When I did the A pillar massage, it would still make a clicking noise while I was 'dry rubbing' it but seems to have cured the buzzing when driving.

I seem to have escaped the front seat bug so far!

Water storage in front doors, dealer reported rubber seals blocking drain holes in bottom of door, they supposedly re-aligned them but seems no better on drivers side although passenger side is much better, only seems to be a problem when parked facing downhill.

They also found a fault on the Amundsen which they think may have caused the re-booting, it was the power cable not connected correctly, so they removed and refitted, not had any probs since, that was last Mon.

• Like 2

Posted 01 August 2013 - 20:14

hawkster, on 01 Aug 2013 - 14:23, said:snapback.png

re both wing mirrors moving - I am pretty sure this is an option in the vehicle setup menu - one option is sync mirrors so that they both move  at the same  (?)

or am I missing something......

I may have missed the answer but both mirrors moving together are really useful when reversing as you only need to move one mirror and they both move so you can see the curb. Do not want to curb the alloys!! This has always been a feature on the VWs.

• 1 month later...

both my front doors hold water. I park on a level surface. it deffo looks like the seals are tight in the frame and not allowing the water out until the doors open. I am unlikely to be owning the vehicle for too long but the subsequent owners may have rusty doors, or is this a deliberate design?

Me again, design issue I've noticed since November is the position of the bonnet strut and washer bottle filler. The strut obscures the filler Not a problem if you have a watering can or similar to fill up with but using a 5 litre can of ready mixed screenwash is difficult. I get through gallons of screen wash due to light washers, same on old Octy 2, but it seems a bit daft to have the filler obscured in such a way. Is this a problem on all Octy 3s or just 2.0 TDI?

• Like 2

Me again, design issue I've noticed since November is the position of the bonnet strut and washer bottle filler. The strut obscures the filler Not a problem if you have a watering can or similar to fill up with but using a 5 litre can of ready mixed screenwash is difficult. I get through gallons of screen wash due to light washers, same on old Octy 2, but it seems a bit daft to have the filler obscured in such a way. Is this a problem on all Octy 3s or just 2.0 TDI?

I thought it was a stupid place for it first time I filled mine.

• Like 2

Picked up an ex demonstrator with 3,500 miles on the clock.

On both test drives annoying rattle which appeared to be coming from the area of the dash mounted speaker. Dealer corrected this prior to taking delivery. 

After picking up the car on the way home a warning light came on. Checked manual and it was the 'Exhaust Inspection System'. Took it back to the dealership the next morning, Saturday, and they swapped over the glow plugs. All fixed err no. Sunday on the way home from work same warning light illuminates. Dealer collected from my house on Monday, replaced glow plugs #3 and #4 and now all fixed. 

Not sure if a problem/fault and I can see nothing in the manual but when I stop and get out of the car the engine fan runs for a good while afterwards? Thoughts? 

Happy with the car so far, get some cracking comments even from my son's partner who drives a Merc and said my car is better specced than hers!  :happy:

But must say I do miss the box and arm rest from my Elegance as there seems to be less storage space in the Mk III over the Mk II in my opinion. 

Picked up an ex demonstrator with 3,500 miles on the clock.

On both test drives annoying rattle which appeared to be coming from the area of the dash mounted speaker. Dealer corrected this prior to taking delivery. 

After picking up the car on the way home a warning light came on. Checked manual and it was the 'Exhaust Inspection System'. Took it back to the dealership the next morning, Saturday, and they swapped over the glow plugs. All fixed err no. Sunday on the way home from work same warning light illuminates. Dealer collected from my house on Monday, replaced glow plugs #3 and #4 and now all fixed. 

Not sure if a problem/fault and I can see nothing in the manual but when I stop and get out of the car the engine fan runs for a good while afterwards? Thoughts? 

Happy with the car so far, get some cracking comments even from my son's partner who drives a Merc and said my car is better specced than hers!  :happy:

But must say I do miss the box and arm rest from my Elegance as there seems to be less storage space in the Mk III over the Mk II in my opinion. 

Glad they got yours sorted, even if it did take a couple of visits :)

I think the fan running after engine is off is evidence that it was probably in the middle of a DPF regen ?

• Like 1

Not sure if this is a fault but the brake pedal on my 2.0tdi dsg goes rock hard if left for 24 hours. Literally had to stand on pedal to get the engine to start. Dealer says this is normal, trouble is this is the same dealer who said the timing belt was fine on my old octy 2...

I'm sure dealer would say it's normal, same as 'yes sir, it's normal for the engine to take 10 minutes to start every other monday'

No.. its not normal, you have a fault.

I do a lot of travelling by air and my car sits for 1-2 weeks at a time... no problems at all with brake pedal.

Passenger door handle is a bit funny - if you pull it at the wrong angle it jams, had loads of complaints but just put it down to folk moaning (hardly ever sit on the passenger side) but it does appear to be an issue.

Off to the dealers again I suppose.

Glad they got yours sorted, even if it did take a couple of visits :)

I think the fan running after engine is off is evidence that it was probably in the middle of a DPF regen ?

Fan running is dpf regen, nothing to worry about

• Like 1

I'm sure dealer would say it's normal, same as 'yes sir, it's normal for the engine to take 10 minutes to start every other monday'

No.. its not normal, you have a fault.

I do a lot of travelling by air and my car sits for 1-2 weeks at a time... no problems at all with brake pedal.

I don't fully trust dealer at best of times courtesy of timing belt/gearbox failure on old car which led to me having this one. All logged in writing, including their response so when I can't start it one morning they will be liable for collection, repair, courtesy car and my loss of earnings. My old car cost them 10 grand this year.

Update on mine.

The Skoda dealership told me my Clutch bearings were on 'Backorder' when I called them asking where my car was. They have had the car for 2.5 weeks now :-( Can't give me a date when it'll be fixed but the best time is another week and a half.... I've only had it for 3 months and they've had it for one of them!

They are really nice and friendly when I call, not really the dealers fault this one.

Freetrack, hi!

I have been dissatisfied with the aspect of the new Octavia you are talking about.

Btw...Im also form Croatia :happy:

I ride on factory sports suspension and 18inch Golus, and find the ride very harsh, many people here disagree.

I also find the car acoustics not helping the problem since the car has a very strange resonance when hitting pottholes 

and road imperfections....so I am bothered with both hits I feel through my spine and low frequency thud that resonates through the cabin.

On my setup I fell like I can sketch the road i ride on with my eyes closed, I feel every imperfection in my bottom, even the ones not visable to human eye:)

My mechanic thought I was crazy, than took a ride with me for half an hour.........epilogue is me purchasing KW Street comfort coilovers to try to remedy the situation

I ll see how that goes......but regarding acoustics I dont know what can be done, maybe some dampening insulation, they messed up with the insulation of the boot and

under the back seat, thats why you can hear the fuel int the tank when you fillup full.

Hi!

I have the same problem with the car acoustics.

And found another thread here about "low frequency boom in cabin".

There is this low frequency thud when going over bumps or road imperfections that makes my ears become clugged for a moment.

But it seems that is not affecting everyone and I wonder if there is a fault with some cars or some of us are more sensible to that frequency.

Does anyone found a solution for this?

• 2 weeks later...

I have just had an Octavia 3 estate rear door fill up with water to the point it came in through the door card and filled up the n/s footwells. The door has 3 drain holes but the door seal only has two cut outs. Despite the cut outs the door seal completely blocked off the drain holes. I have modified the seal and the water now seems to be draining away ok. This is also a known issue with the rapid. Skoda need to redesign there door drains or door seal. Fix for this at present modify the door seal make sure the door drains are not blocked and replace underlay and carpet depending on its condition. Finally water test to make sure it's not going to happen again!!

• 4 years later...

Here is my list after two years and only 11806 miles / 19000km (!!!) of owning a 2016 180TSI Octavia Scout:

Front suspension not centre-adjusted

Front bumber not aligned

Rear bumper not aligned

A fault code no one have figured out 

Haldex 4x4 failure

Rear dampers failure x2

Lower support arm squeeking

Left suspension strut bearing failure

Plastic trim loosing from body

:)

YIKES! What was your car's build date?  - bet it was a Friday PM.

Hope that it's all pucka now and nothing else is wrong - just f.w.t..  :wondering:

[PS. This a very old thread you just re-activated]

I dont know the exact build date but I will ask Skoda. When one thing is sorted out something new comes along. The suspension strut bearing is being fixed this Friday.

The thing is, I really love this car and dont want to sell it but Im getting tired now - thankfully my dealer is very humble and tries to fix it reasonable quick. 

Ah - sorry. Sense of humour got lost in cultural translation. :hi:

(not that there was a lot of sense in it, or humour come to think of it)

We used to joke about Friday afternoon cars where the chaps in the factory had been out for a drink and weren't really paying attention so car gets lots of minor problems. With modern production techniques a lot is automated and there is much better quality assurance (great youtubes of skoda factory). I was remembering the days of British Leyland cars back in the '70s and '80s.

I think the build date would only get down to a week number anyway. Of course it could have been the week before or after Christmas.

Don't know the answer as to being best to hang or change car. Its a bit like the probability of flipping of coin. After 6 heads you think its bound to be a tail this time but actually the odds are always just the same. Another car may be just as likely to have a fault.

Are your local roads very rough? Maybe its you and your environment and not the car which is the cause.

Edited by Hermit

In retrospect I understand your joke :tongueout:

No the roads are fine, at least to a normal view - we do have potholes and so on but as a car-guy I do my best to avoid them. This is just a bad-luck car as I know Octavia III is a pretty solid car with few faults and scores great on the fault-lists they from time to time issue.

• Like 1