Removing tar

ItalianJob

would never use any sort of solvent on mine as it will eat away at the paintwork

LOL :D

Have you got evidence of this?

• Administrators

I seem to recall margarine worked...

as per

Butter ! Works like a charm and no,I am not taking the P !!

I think I heard that from the swissol sales chap, forget his name now.

/Also moved to car care as it's a generic topic valid for all models.

Why bother use chemicals, a clay bar will remove tar and clean ur paintwork, would never use any sort of solvent on mine as it will eat away at the paintwork

Tar removers are perfectly safe and don't damage paintwork..LOL

There is product in an aerosol called Amberclens, I think it is used by the electrical industry. It cleans everything off everything and doesn't harm paintwork. Tried it on number plate stickyness, came off easy.

Thanks for the suggestions.

WD sounds like it might do the trick. Although we do have a lab full of methanol at work!

You need a non-polar solvent for tar - methanol or meths probably won't work.

Best is white spirit or WD40

Anything containing oil - butter, sunflower oil etc will soften and remove it.

Autosmart Tardis is available from eBay and is the most effective tar remover I have found.

Make sure the surface is cool, don't let the product dry on the car, and rinse it off really really well.....and wear gloves!

I've used the Autoglym stuff and other Halfords stuff and found them all to be a complete waste of time and money. I've been using Carpro Tar-X for a couple of years but it doesn't seem to work for me any more (maybe I'm expecting more than I used to) and have started using Bilt Hamber Paint Cleanser, used it yesterday and it all came off with just a light wipe and washed off. It goes a long way.

Autosmart Tardis is available from eBay and is the most effective tar remover I have found.

Make sure the surface is cool, don't let the product dry on the car, and rinse it off really really well.....and wear gloves!

I use this too, but I don't bother with gloves.  I also pour 99.9% pure methanol bare handed.  The tingle feels kinda funny on the skin though. :D