When you go into a shop and the assistant says hello to you...

RapidRonnie

When you go into a shop and the assistant greets you...  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Do you:

• A) Say hello/good morning back
    • B) Make some kind of noise to at least acknowledge their presence
    • C) Ignore them and avoid eye contact at all costs

Bus driver here. Every single passenger on my bus gets a "Hello" or "Morning" with a smile and a please if they are paying a fare when I tell them the cost. They will then get a "thanks" or "cheers" on exit of the vehicle. I'd say well over 50% totally ignore me.

People who are late and I sit & wait for them to run for the bus very rarely say thanks for waiting.

A huge number of people will walk straight on without waiting for people to get off first. More often than not they'll have a attitude when I politely ask them to wait, I'm not going to drive off without them what's the rush?!

Then there's the kids who have more manners than the parents, where'd they learn that?

Sad times

Up here in the West of Scotland, there's better than 50% that each passenger will say "thank you" when leaving the bus too.

Although there was one time on a busy service on Argyll Street when an exasperated clippie was heard to say "If youse yins that's gettin oan'll get oaf, they yins that's gettin' oaf'll git oan better!"

• Like 1

I work in retail...

I get a disappointingly large number of Cs. Just wondering whether it's just down here or a countrywide epidemic.

I'm not talking about just when you enter the shop, I mean when you go the checkout/counter.

Had one bloke in today. Not a word. No hello, no goodbye, no please, no thank you...

Just curious :)

Personally I think it's worse when I get the same treatment from the people working in the shop..... but as have already been said, manners cost nothing so the least people should do is reciprocate.

That's a bit shallow to be honest,

Not sure how it is shallow.  I always say please and thank you, and respond to hello etc.  I just don't always want to have a full blown conversation, especially in shops like Tesco.  MY coffee shop of choice is different, I have been going in there 5 days a week for years.  I  know all the staff, and they know me.  If they are not busy I will often chat to them.  If I am in a shop to make a single purchase, such as a dress or some white goods item I am happy to talk to the salesperson who is directly assisting me.

• Like 1

I find most youngsters are very polite as well, they learn that from school these days, one of the few good things they learn. 

And I wish bus drivers around here were as welcoming as Matt, got me Bus Pass now.

I wish they were too, giving us good 'uns a bad name! I came from retail background (Sainsbury) so it was already drummed into me from that to be polite. 

As an aside to Matt, I've always got on well with the local bus crews.  It has been very handy when they recognise you and pick you up between stops.

Rob.

This is the thing, as someone else said earlier being polite and friendly costs bugger all but will get you some "perks" along the way. Plus dealing with happy people is much nicer for both parties. 

People should treasure you as a polite and friendly bus driver. My experience of bus drivers in general is not great. Still I can understand why a bad attitude develops in a job that is so poorly payed and in which you have to drive a large cumbersome vehicle I. Stop start city traffic.

The thing is though, you dont need to be a expert to work out what the job will entail before doing it. So many people come from HGV driving or van driving, they start the job thinking it's just driving but it isnt, you have to deal with 100's of people a day, it's no less customer facing that retail IMO. 

As for pay, I dont know what is classed as poorly paid/well paid but with a base rate of £12/hour I dont think anyone can moan they aren't being paid enough. 

I always reply. Personally I prefer it when you can have a bit of banter at the check out, just brightens everyone's day really doesn't it?

Have to say, McDonalds staff are particularly good for being polite and friendly at all times.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

I work retail. Don't particularly like it but I'll still acknowledge any customers that come through the door. Please and Thank You I do without thinking everyday. You do get arsey customers which is the bit I don't like. Want the world for a fiver and if there's a problem they expect compennsayshunn for their inconvenience. Most of the time it's their fault.

I don't mind much whether the people in the shop are particularly happy, it's much more important to be polite. In fact I find people who appear to be happy 100% of the time to be somehow sinister and a mental break down waiting to happen, it's natural for people to be have highs and lows in mood but there's no reason why they can't be civil and polite while a bit fed up.

I do get a bit annoyed if someone blanks me in such a way and have on occasion expressed my displeasure at their lack of basic manors. But most people seem to respond nicely. 

Not sure how it is shallow. I always say please and thank you, and respond to hello etc. I just don't always want to have a full blown conversation, especially in shops like Tesco. MY coffee shop of choice is different, I have been going in there 5 days a week for years. I know all the staff, and they know me. If they are not busy I will often chat to them. If I am in a shop to make a single purchase, such as a dress or some white goods item I am happy to talk to the salesperson who is directly assisting me.

Fair enough if you go everyday I'd kind of accept that, the way it sounded was that you spoke to the coffee shop guy because he was hot and you wouldn't entertain others

• Like 1

Also because I work in retail I have a lot of patience when in other shops. If a salesperson is busy I'll just wait or if there's a problem I won't stress over it and give them reasonable time to sort it. Life is too short to stress over things. I ordered two printed T-Shirts online last week that hasn't turned up. Did I rant and rave about it? No. I sent of a polite tweet to the owner since it's a small business asking has it been posted. He responded quickly to say it had. I'm still waiting but Royal Mail has been crap lately. As long as it turns up for my holiday I'm happy. 

I also work in retail (Waitrose) so I appreciate how politeness and a friendly face can not only brighten someone's day, but keep that person coming back, spending their hard earned money. While I do have mornings where I'm really tired and struggle to be as cheerful as I usually am, I always always say please and thank you and do my best to smile. And as others have said P's&Q's in return is always nice too

I work in retail too and agree with Zoidberg. Far too many people say "No I'm just looking pal" when I say hello. Really winds me up that they're not even listening to me, and think I'm trying to sell something.

Bus driver here. Every single passenger on my bus gets a "Hello" or "Morning" with a smile and a please if they are paying a fare when I tell them the cost. They will then get a "thanks" or "cheers" on exit of the vehicle. I'd say well over 50% totally ignore me.

People who are late and I sit & wait for them to run for the bus very rarely say thanks for waiting.

A huge number of people will walk straight on without waiting for people to get off first. More often than not they'll have a attitude when I politely ask them to wait, I'm not going to drive off without them what's the rush?!

Then there's the kids who have more manners than the parents, where'd they learn that?

Sad times

We tend to be polite to bus drivers, when boarding & leaving the bus, except in London, where all vehicles seem to have dual doors so contact with the driver isn't possible.

Drivers attitudes vary, of course, but our local company (Ensign Bus) seem to employ reasonably friendly drivers, First Essex not too bad, but not so sure about Arriva Southend crew............

DC

Working in Safeway many moons ago customer interaction was very important to them (in that branch at least). Someone seeking assistance to get one of the big 'F' off TV's to their car in the shopping centres multi story car park was a perfect opportunity for one employee to go the extra mile. Once it was loaded into the car, along with all the guys shopping (some distance away) the guy helping had a funny feeling about it and asked the question, "can I see your receipt please?". The guy hadn't bought the TV at all, he approached a member of staff asking for help to get it to his car as if he had and it almost worked. What better a way to steal something from a shop but to get the staff to essentially do it for you, he never even laid a finger on the box the whole way! The assistant was told off but congratulated at the same time for foiling this con man. The cheeky sod happily came back into the store and pointed out all of the above in the managers office and that he never said he purchased it or even touched it but did compliment the guy who helped him for being curious. The Police then within 60 seconds said he was free to go.

You can imagine the stick the poor helper monkey got from all the staff for the following few months. Policy changed to put some of that tape on that showed it had been purchased.  :giggle:  

• Like 1

Working in Safeway many moons ago customer interaction was very important to them (in that branch at least). Someone seeking assistance to get one of the big 'F' off TV's to their car in the shopping centres multi story car park was a perfect opportunity for one employee to go the extra mile. Once it was loaded into the car, along with all the guys shopping (some distance away) the guy helping had a funny feeling about it and asked the question, "can I see your receipt please?". The guy hadn't bought the TV at all, he approached a member of staff asking for help to get it to his car as if he had and it almost worked. What better a way to steal something from a shop but to get the staff to essentially do it for you, he never even laid a finger on the box the whole way! The assistant was told off but congratulated at the same time for foiling this con man. The cheeky sod happily came back into the store and pointed out all of the above in the managers office and that he never said he purchased it or even touched it but did compliment the guy who helped him for being curious. The Police then within 60 seconds said he was free to go.

You can imagine the stick the poor helper monkey got from all the staff for the following few months. Policy changed to put some of that tape on that showed it had been purchased.  :giggle:  

I know of people who walk into Tesco and buy a TV. Then walk back in, take one in a box off the shelf and refund it. One pie key did it six times in the one store and on the 7th time the security guard twigged. He assaulted the security guard and was arrested. They never found the TV's and he practically got away with it. My cousin worked in a B&Q where someone emptied a box for a £60 mower but filled it full of power tools.

• Like 1

I don't mind it when people say hello when I walk into a store, that is polite which is great. It does annoy me though when they just say 'are you alright there?' I usually respond with 'do you sell pasties?' No matter what shop I am in!

I always say hello/goodbye and please/thank you, it's just common courtesy.

My mum owns and runs a sandwich shop and her biggest gripe is people on their phones, the ones who don't interrupt their own conversation to acknowledge the person serving them.  

One thing i do miss about working in retail is chatting to shoplifters.

Funny, I miss throwing them out of the store. Literally picking the ****ers up and bodily hurling them at times.

One more thing to bear in mind. Quite often, store staff are "bothering" you because they are told that they *must* approach every customer and speak to them. If you are in a large store with several zones that means you get spoken to several times. If you find that kind of thing annoying then complain to head office. Don't abuse the staff as they are just doing what they are forced to do, just like the add on sales at the tills.

• Like 1

I always say hello/goodbye and please/thank you, it's just common courtesy.

My mum owns and runs a sandwich shop and her biggest gripe is people on their phones, the ones who don't interrupt their own conversation to acknowledge the person serving them.

I used to refuse to serve them and would ask them to step aside so I could speak to the one behind.

• Like 3