What made you smile whilst driving?

sparks03

Pottered around- viewed a nice Arosa for the eldest, popped into the antiques shop and then drove out to a pub on the edge of the Shugborough estate for a little bit of lunch with the wife. I love days off. 

• Like 1

2 things:-

1) A seagull that I drove round, and which started walking faster whilst I went past it!

2) A V@*xh@11 Astra 1.6. This isn't usually a cause of smiles, but this one had a "tuner car shopping list" on it, including APexi, Mugen and Spoon parts!

• Like 1

The woman in BMW 320d which had the stupid size wheels and rock hard suspension M sport kit. She was driving through a rather badly surfaced car park which has big knackered speed bumps - she winced every time she crashed over a speed bump or hit a pot hole and that was at about 3mph.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Late for train, pull up behind a Clio in town just before a 10 mile stretch of crap road thinking 'oh no held up behind some feckin granny again' only for him to tear off doen the road. Debadged 172/182.

Couldn't care less how he was driving as long as he wasn't holding me up.

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst sat at traffic lights the Volvo estate driver in front of me decides to wash/wipe the rear window. As the wiper swiped across the back window a Staffie head popped up and with a couple of snaps tried to catch it. It then looked out the back window with the stupid look only these dogs have.

• Like 3

Saw a couple of scruffy louts in an old Peugeot pull up and parked on the zigzags by a pedestrian crossing (and directly outside Dominos Pizzas); I mouthed "Four points and a thousand pound fine" at them and got a finger in reply.

30 seconds later an unmarked Police Octavia Vrs blocked them in and "did" them; by the time I had got my baby daughter into her car seat a second cop car had arrived and joined the fun.

• Like 3

Simply the joy of driving my mint 2001 Transit Tourneo after its yearly maintenance program was completed this weekend.

I've had nearly 200 vehicles and nothing touches the Tourneo for its combination of qualities*-every time I drive it, it brings the smiles out  :)

I love it  :love:

*crosses continents with 8 plus luggage comfortably and reliably; kids can see out of the huge windows and no-one gets car sick.

*runs around daily chores at 35pmg, turns round like a taxi, size fits in a normal parking space and under car park barriers

*goes amazingly well off road on winter tyres, embarrasses many town-tyred city 4x4s, happy in mud and water, great ground clearance

*has the best visibility of any vehicle, you sit higher than a Range Rover driver, twin lens mirrors make parking a doddle and autobahn lane changes are easy

*costs beans to own: its simple, parts are cheap, 35mpg, tax £170 less than a Grand Voyager, 3 years depreciation has cost £0

All true, but at the end of the day - it is a VAN. :kiss:

Vans beat cars any day!

Most blokes I know prefer their van to their car-I also have a 7.2m long Iveco which is great to drive, but the Tourneo is just marvellous.

Vans beat cars any day!

Most blokes I know prefer their van to their car-I also have a 7.2m long Iveco which is great to drive, but the Tourneo is just marvellous.

Agreed on that, I'd rate the shape of transit you've got and the one after it as the most comfortable vehicles on the road.

• Like 1

Saw a couple of scruffy louts in an old Peugeot pull up and parked on the zigzags by a pedestrian crossing (and directly outside Dominos Pizzas); I mouthed "Four points and a thousand pound fine" at them and got a finger in reply.

30 seconds later an unmarked Police Octavia Vrs blocked them in and "did" them; by the time I had got my baby daughter into her car seat a second cop car had arrived and joined the fun.

Tbh I'm surprised they didn't get out and lamp you one.

I'd love a t5 passenger van, but too big for us.

Daft thing is though that the T5 is square and easier to place and park than a Sharan and it's around the same size:

Trans/Galaxy 2006- (as example)

Length:4890/4641

Width: 1904/2142

Height:1969/1730

Our Tourneo replaced an estate car and both my wife and I find it much more comfortable, easier to park and easier to place through a gap.

• Like 1

The 1.97m height would be a big issue as all the local car parks are 1.85m.

Annoying...ours are 2.0m and the Tourneo glides under....cheap on the ferry too...

I'd love a t5 passenger van, but too big for us.

Just be aware that unless it states class as M (passenger vehicle) and not N (commercial vehicle) on the V5c reg doc that you are treated the same as a van with speed limits; ie 50 on single carriageway, 60 on dual carriageway, 70 on motorway; not the car limits 60/70/70.

Many new VW van owners get caught out with Kombi vans or conversions to Transporters if they are classed as N, commercial as the 50/60/70 limits apply.

It's ridiculous that a modern small panel van is treated differently in law to the identically shelled and powered MPV version, but there it is.

SWMBO and I would love a T5.5 but she just isn't confident enough driving them, i'd have one in a heartbeat, Considering the cost of them I think they've got estates beat every road up. 

• Like 1

SWMBO and I would love a T5.5 but she just isn't confident enough driving them, i'd have one in a heartbeat, Considering the cost of them I think they've got estates beat every road up. 

Is it a perception thing or has she driven one?

I had the same with my wife when choosing the Tourneo, but after a few days she gelled with it and now adores it and complains every time she has to drive a normal car instead!

I would choose a new Tourneo Custom 155 Limited over a T5.5 any day, but it's personal choice; bargain at £24k OTR (happynewvan.co.uk)

http://servicingstopford.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/ford_tourneo.jpg (photo)

Edited by mender

Is it a perception thing or has she driven one?

I had the same with my wife when choosing the Tourneo, but after a few days she gelled with it and now adores it and complains every time she has to drive a normal car instead!

I would choose a new Tourneo Custom 155 Limited over a T5.5 any day, but it's personal choice; bargain at £24k OTR (happynewvan.co.uk)

http://servicingstopford.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/ford_tourneo.jpg (photo)

Its a realism thing Mender. She's had a sit in one and loved the positioning and surroundings. Started it up and completely froze when trying to move off. Tried to explain its probably easier to drive than the Passat given its short nose, squared edges etc. She just couldn't get her head around the difference in driving which is a shame because its a) right in the ball park price-wise and b ) it would be awesome for camping with the dogs. If we bought one it'd have to be the mrs' car.  It may be something for retirement I suppose, am more than happy with my Octy and Golf so won't be replacing them with one.  I'm highly prejudiced against Fords through several very poor experiences but like you say its horses for courses.

Edited by sparks03

Its a realism thing Mender. She's had a sit in one and loved the positioning and surroundings. Started it up and completely froze when trying to move off. Tried to explain its probably easier to drive than the Passat given its short nose, squared edges etc. She just couldn't get her head around the difference in driving which is a shame because its a) right in the ball park price-wise and b ) it would be awesome for camping with the dogs. If we bought one it'd have to be the mrs' car.  It may be something for retirement I suppose, am more than happy with my Octy and Golf so won't be replacing them with one.  I'm highly prejudiced against Fords through several very poor experiences but like you say its horses for courses.

I can understand this well; it took some coaxing and encouragement to get used to it after our estate car, but the truth is that if you ignore perception, the Tourneos/T5s are a far easier vehicle to drive, place on the road and park than any estate car due to short bonnet, great visibility, great mirrors, square edges and no blind spots.  

My wife also likes the respect the Tourneo commands and that people give way to you more.  It's far less fussy to use too, the controls are simple and the thing is built tough-she clipped a kerb at 60mph the other day when an opposing lorry suddenly swung round a bike and the 8 ply truck tyres just shrugged it off; in an alloy wheeled estate car it would have been a blow out/loss of control/new wheel/new tyre.

The standard screw on bumper corners are £17 each new delivered too if you do catch one-but we never have-much less hassle than a car, but it's perception.

In our social group, some of the ladies are aghast as to how my wife drives both the Tourneo and also occasionally the 7.2m Iveco, but some others drive T4s and T5s.  It's apparent that the VW and Ford owners would not swap for the other brand too.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't get me wrong, I'm by no means the violent road rage type, I'm patient and forgiving as anything, but....

I was crossing a roundabout, lane 2 to lane 2, when a HGV came up the sliproad to my left, gave a casual glance at me with my little truck and meaningless right of way and ploughed straight across in front of me taking the same exit that I was. I immediately thought "That was rude, but life's too short to give a ****".

So I carry on over, join lane 2, 60mph limit, so I do that and pass the wagon going up a hill. Couple of miles down the road and we're in a 50 on a single carriageway, I'm doing 50 and guess who's up my arse doing 10mph over his speed limit and wanting to do more?

As above, life's too short to give a ****, so I keep on going, doing the speed limit wherever it's safe, and with a 40 tonne shadow over me. Looking for an opportunity to overtake, which he can't find.

So we get to a 30, I drop to 30, he decides to give it some horn, not the big horn, just the little girly "excuse me" one, that sounds about the same as the one on my Felicia.

Out of the 30, back in a 50, I'm doing 50 and he decides to try full beaming me. Can if you want, I don't have a centre mirror and I can dip the outers easy enough. Cue all the unimpressive lorry driver's tricks, pumping his air brakes, etc etc.

Sorry, but I'm really, really not bothered.

Finally I decide I might as well let him get it off his chest and pull to a stop somewhere where he can't get past me. I stop, open the door, and wait for it. Hmmmm, nothing. Not even a beep or a flash.

Got all 12 stone of me out of my vehicle (I'm about as unthreatening looking as you can get) walked up to his cab, and he started to look very, very sheepish. So I spent 5 minutes telling him how he was nothing without his truck, crap at driving it, an utter shame on the rest of us who drive for a living, and in serious need of growing a pair to give his tiny **** something to rest upon.

Part way through, he does the most aggressive thing he can think of and starts videoing me on his phone, I thanked him for doing this, and invited him to play it back to himself every night before he goes to sleep, just to remind himself what he is.

Got back in my truck and drove off. 5 miles down the road with him following a far greater distance, we got to his depot and he actually managed to raise enough courage to beep at he as he pulled off.

I mean seriously, if you're going to act like the incredible hulk behind the wheel, at least have a slight ability to follow up on it :no:

• Like 2