People on the Phone,whilst driving.......

Easy solution........Overtake them, then SLAM on your breaks, and they will drive into the back of you.

You can tell the police 'he/she was on the phone and network operators supply info to corroborate that and in court they have the book thrown at them :D

NB. Only do this if you're driving an older car that you don't mind being written off, and that way you can get a brand new Skoda at their expense. :D

Teach them a lesson where it hurts.........in the pocket. :D

Ignorant. Two wrongs never make a right, what would your thoughts be , instead of running into you, they veered off and hit a child?

Some research a couple of years ago suggested that using a hands free mobile has a greater effect on your driving than being at the legal blood alcohol limit.  Bluetooth may be hands free but it isn't brain free.

Actually I would go further than Auric for professional drivers.

Using a mobile phone whilst the vehicle is moving (hands free or not) - Instant life ban and no arguments (unless it can be shown to be a 999 call).  As a professional we should be setting a good example, not a bad one.  As a professional driver trainer I will happily include myself in that regime.

• Like 2

I was recently queuing up to a roundabout in slow moving traffic on a dual carrigeway on a warm day, people with their windows down.

Car in the next lane crawling alongside me, I notice he's on his phone.

As the car behind me pulls alongside him the guy behind me sounds his horn at the guy on the phone, and holds his hand on the horn.

The guy on the phone looks over in annoyance at not being able to hear the conversation and winds his window up, the horn is still blaring.

Even with the window up the horn is clearly preventing the guy from hearing the conversation and he hangs up! Horn stops.

Made me chuckle.

If their window is down I like giving a quick beep of the horn so the person at each end of the line stops speaking and then shouting something along the lines of 'Get off the phone you're driving you <insert insult of the day/colourful language>' at them so the person at the other end of the phone can hear me as well.

• Like 2

Not doing this to set anyone off, and there are always horror stories to be told

But I don't think twice about talking on my phone whilst driving! And yes I get reported and no the police can't do anything even with video evidence, I have had people take pictures of me whilst driving and send it into the police and I've had a total of three letters from the police telling me I have been reported talking on the phone whilst driving but the letter also states that they can't take any action against me unless they catch me red handed.

I think driving distractions can be dangerous. But I said many times, that texting whilst driving is significantly more dangerous than talking whilst driving as your eyes are not on the road. I think the downside of the phone ban has meant that more people text whilst driving now in fear of getting caught for talking whilst driving.

Infact around 9 weeks ago I was six cars back on the motorway when a young black man driving a golf tailgating in the fast lane passed me, I was in my van so nice and high up and could see him texting whilst driving, around 20secons after he passed me he went crashing into the central barrier; obviously from not looking at the road and drifting off course. The result was him ploughing into a small transit in the middle lane at 60 odd mph and a 8 car pile up, thankfully being in the van meant I saw it happen earlier than the surrounding cars and managed to stop safely, but sadly the driver of the transit van died at the scene of the accident. This was the first dead body I had ever seen in my life and it really upset me for the rest of the day.

Also my auntie as killed in a car collision 7 years ago with a drink driver, she was the mother of 3 children under the age of 10. So I like to think I have a good a reason as any to think poorly of dangerous driving but I don't see how having a conversation with the passenger next to you whilst say picking your nose is any different to talking on the phone whilst driving. And I will be damned if I ever get points on my license for picking my nose. I understand why the police have made it illegal and good on you if you choose to obey that law but I don't think talking on the phone is that bad, that said I believe I have seen it negatively affect people's driving and overall awareness of their surroundings, arguably they are just crap drivers.

I hope I don't offended to many people, but in the grand scheme of things some of us do whilst driving talking on the phone isn't the worst. For example has anyone ever eaten a packet of crisp, a sandwich or a McDonald's burger whilst driving. Anyone ever had a child in the back that has dropped something under the seat that you reach for, have you ever reached over to your glove box to change a cd whilst driving or perhaps opened a bottle of fizzy drink; ever had an argument with your partner whilst driving, what about checking your makeup in the mirror whilst in slow moving traffic. What really is the difference between talking to the person next to you and talking on the phone?

Edited by Sonner

FYI, my van has a aftermarket Bluetooth, my company BMW has a built in Bluetooth but my mr2 doesn't. When I have Bluetooth I use it, when in the mr2 on the phone I keep an eye out for police and tend to not talk on the motorway whilst driving as it's too easy to get caught but on single carriage roads if the phone rings I answer it.

Yes I get colourful language, yes I get horns and beeps.

In fact I had this rather intimidating looking guy in an old land cruiser follow me when I had the roof down on the mr2 and was on the phone, he gave me some colourful language and beeped and flashed a few times etc, in the end I rose to it and even after my call had eneded I just pretended to be on the phone and rested my other hand on the roof and used my knees to steer which as anyone with a mk3 mr2 will know is very easy. When I arrived at my location ( he had followed me for over 20mins) he blocked my car in and got out and made a beeline for me, thankfully I had just arrived at football practice and some of the older blokes intervened and removed him! It was hilarious!

I accpreicate this particular post may be slightly inflammatory for some people and understand if it gets removed but thought I would share my entertaining story

Edited by Sonner

FYI, my van has a aftermarket Bluetooth, my company BMW has a built in Bluetooth but my mr2 doesn't. When I have Bluetooth I use it, when in the mr2 on the phone I keep an eye out for police and tend to not talk on the motorway whilst driving as it's too easy to get caught but on single carriage roads if the phone rings I answer it.

Yes I get colourful language, yes I get horns and beeps.

In fact I had this rather intimidating looking guy in an old land cruiser follow me when I had the roof down on the mr2 and was on the phone, he gave me some colourful language and beeped and flashed a few times etc, in the end I rose to it and even after my call had eneded I just pretended to be on the phone and rested my other hand on the roof and used my knees to steer which as anyone with a mk3 mr2 will know is very easy. When I arrived at my location ( he had followed me for over 20mins) he blocked my car in and got out and made a beeline for me, thankfully I had just arrived at football practice and some of the older blokes intervened and removed him! It was hilarious!

I accpreicate this particular post may be slightly inflammatory for some people and understand if it gets removed but thought I would share my entertaining story

Seriously? Hold on just going to get some pop corn...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

I know my views on this subject are not 'with the crowd' but they are my views, and I am probably classed as an observant, conscienctious and patient driver and am generally considered to be a decent member of my local church community and a helpful go to type person at work, i'm not some evil road rage lunatic with an arrogant selfish attitude to life. Thought I would get that in before people accuse me of being devil worshiper or something.

Edited by Sonner

Not doing this to set anyone off, and there are always horror stories to be told

But I don't think twice about talking on my phone whilst driving! And yes I get reported and no the police can't do anything even with video evidence, I have had people take pictures of me whilst driving and send it into the police and I've had a total of three letters from the police telling me I have been reported talking on the phone whilst driving but the letter also states that they can't take any action against me unless they catch me red handed.

I think driving distractions can be dangerous. But I said many times, that texting whilst driving is significantly more dangerous than talking whilst driving as your eyes are not on the road. I think the downside of the phone ban has meant that more people text whilst driving now in fear of getting caught for talking whilst driving.

Infact around 9 weeks ago I was six cars back on the motorway when a young black man driving a golf tailgating in the fast lane passed me, I was in my van so nice and high up and could see him texting whilst driving, around 20secons after he passed me he went crashing into the central barrier; obviously from not looking at the road and drifting off course. The result was him ploughing into a small transit in the middle lane at 60 odd mph and a 8 car pile up, thankfully being in the van meant I saw it happen earlier than the surrounding cars and managed to stop safely, but sadly the driver of the transit van died at the scene of the accident. This was the first dead body I had ever seen in my life and it really upset me for the rest of the day.

Also my auntie as killed in a car collision 7 years ago with a drink driver, she was the mother of 3 children under the age of 10. So I like to think I have a good a reason as any to think poorly of dangerous driving but I don't see how having a conversation with the passenger next to you whilst say picking your nose is any different to talking on the phone whilst driving. And I will be damned if I ever get points on my license for picking my nose. I understand why the police have made it illegal and good on you if you choose to obey that law but I don't think talking on the phone is that bad, that said I believe I have seen it negatively affect people's driving and overall awareness of their surroundings, arguably they are just crap drivers.

I hope I don't offended to many people, but in the grand scheme of things some of us do whilst driving talking on the phone isn't the worst. For example has anyone ever eaten a packet of crisp, a sandwich or a McDonald's burger whilst driving. Anyone ever had a child in the back that has dropped something under the seat that you reach for, have you ever reached over to your glove box to change a cd whilst driving or perhaps opened a bottle of fizzy drink; ever had an argument with your partner whilst driving, what about checking your makeup in the mirror whilst in slow moving traffic. What really is the difference between talking to the person next to you and talking on the phone?

I kind of agree with this, talking on a mobile is not the most dangerous thing you can do while driving, however that does not excuse it, it just means you should not take your eyes of the road to get atoy for your kid, change your CD or to reapply your lip stick either. Grow up, you are inded a selfish individual.  Either that or you are deliberately trying to start an argument.

i'm not some evil road rage lunatic with an arrogant selfish attitude to life.

You ignore the law - a law that is there because of undisputed proof that using a phone while driving reduces reaction time, reduces the attention you are paying to driving and is contributory to many accidents. Yet you claim you are not arrogant or selfish - @rse is the only word that comes to mind

• Like 2

Driving when you have a cold has been scientifically studied too and found to cause all of the above also.

All sorts of things can adversely affect your driving, only some of which are explicitly illegal.

Anything that affects your driving too badly can be "careless or inconsiderate driving" or "dangerous driving" irrespective of whether it's a separate offense in it's own right.

If I was feeling really unwell I wouldn't drive.

....but sadly the driver of the transit van died at the scene of the accident....

....Also my auntie as killed in a car collision 7 years ago with a drink driver, she was the mother of 3 children under the age of 10....

....I like to think I have a good a reason as any to think poorly of dangerous driving....

....I just pretended to be on the phone and rested my other hand on the roof and used my knees to steer which as anyone with a mk3 mr2 will know is very easy....

....I am probably classed as an observant, conscienctious and patient driver....

....am generally considered to be a decent member of my local church community....

....i'm not some evil road rage lunatic with an arrogant selfish attitude to life....

These statements are unbelievably contradictory. A number of thoughts come to mind, but if you're serious, I doubt we'll get anywhere debating these points. Are you sure you're not just trolling?!

• Like 3

I have better things to do than read the idiotic drivel of this guy.

Settings/ignore list/add Sonner/ Problem solved

Edited by slider
  • Like 1

Well I do hope you never crash into me, my family or friends whilst making or answering one of your calls! As the next time you use your phone you will have to fish it out of your rectum!!!

Nothing personal

Good day

• Like 3

In all honesty, I've been caught twice, both times by a real life Policeman.

And both times before the 3 points was added to the offence. On both occasions

I received a fixed penalty of £30 which I of course paid. 

Once was in Central London when I was a van courier (Two way radios had gone down

and the office was calling me with a job.)  That time I was stopped by a lycra clad cycle cop

who (rather bravely I thought)  stepped off the kerb as I turned right from Grays inn road

into Holborn and did the one armed HALT! routine.

He booked me at the roadside and I went on my way paying the fine a few days later.

Didn't argue, it's a fair cop. I was in the wrong.

The second time was on the M4 going to Bristol, my other halfs Grandfather was quite  

literally on his deathbed with colon cancer and we were driving up to see him before he

died, on that occasion I was also in excess of the NSL. I was stopped by a marked Lexus

which I never saw as it was hidden behind a bridge. My missus was barely consoleable

at the time which is why I took the call. She didn't want to because she thought the call was

to tell us we were too late and she'd missed him. As it happened it was just an update

on his condition, and asking us how much longer we thought we were going to be.

Once I had explained to the copper the situation, showed him my (then GF) who was absolutely

beside herself and in tears and apologised he just gave me a fixed penalty for the phone use,

(he had to do me for something as the stop was on film from the motorway cruiser cam)

and turned a blind eye to the speeding in fact telling me to get my foot down as he was the only

copper on duty between there and Bristol and I should be able to make up time lost by the stop.

Let me first state that I was quite categorically in the wrong on both occasions and deserved to 

be punished and indeed was to the full weight of the law at the time.

My post was mostly to highlight that it is perfectly possible to get caught by a Police officer.

And to say that these experiences taught me the lesson and I've been 'funny about it' ever since.

Now all my vehicles have bluetooth and auto connect and for that matter have for a while now.

It's not expensive to buy the kit or that difficult to fit, if you can install a car stereo, then you can fit

a Parrot kit too. My offences are a good 11 years ago and I am a reformed character when it

comes to this, but still I've never texted while driving. That's just mental but seems to be

what you see these days in the traffic. Nowadays,  my most common spot is the young

girl with the massive iphone either holding it a foot away from her stupid fat orange face and gassing  

away like that's okay (Often in a newer car than I have so why not spec handsfree or retrofit???) 

or worse still typing away on it most likely texting or on facebook or tw@tter. That's the one that really

gets under my skin, I have truly become a grumpy old man. It seems very rare to ever hear of

anyone being caught these days, yet in real terms driving around I see it all the time, very blatantly and if I'm

honest far more often here in Bristol than I saw it in London. The locals here really don't seem to give

a toss and must wholeheartedly believe they will never be caught. A very emotive subject indeed.

• Like 2

i just don't get it...

why can't people just use a bluetooth speaker kit (cheap on fleabay if money is an issue) or a bluetooth stereo, or a factory fitted bluetooth car kit, or a bluetooth headset....it's hardly hard or expensive to get one of those setups is it..and then you can talk away without a phone in your hand or on the side of your head distracting you!

It's always the douche bags in new mercs and audis that seem to have a phone glued to their head..they can afford a new car...but no car kit..what the feck?!?

• Like 1