problem with wind noise when driving

I just visit my dealer today to hear about arrival on my Combi, and i just overheard a conversation about heavy wind noise on the new octavia. does any of you any issues on your cars regarding wind noise???? the car they was discussing was a 1,6 tdi DSG

On my 1.4TSI hatch I haven't noticed anything obvious (certainly less than my previous non FL 1.6 Octy II which had noticable wind noise around the drivers side mirror) - still not had many really windy days but so far no complaints from me.

I have no personal experience of Octavia 3 yet (but soon...  :mmm: )

But I would think it's very much a car-to-car "thing2, for example when they adjust the doors at the factory.

There is very little needed to get some "extra" wind noise at high speeds, just a tiny larger gap could make a big difference.

I had a terrible noise with my previous Octavia II at high speeds. First I suspected the tires (it was a deep VERY loud "humming" sound)

but it turned out to be the angle at which the front doors had been mounted. Known error at Skoda, and they even had a printed

description of it... When I drove a bit fast and the wind direction added to the wind speed it showed up.

I am NOT suggesting you have the same issue, just that some cars may have louder wind noise than others even if they are of same make

and year.

Good luck with it!

I have no personal experience of Octavia 3 yet (but soon...  :mmm: )

But I would think it's very much a car-to-car "thing2, for example when they adjust the doors at the factory.

There is very little needed to get some "extra" wind noise at high speeds, just a tiny larger gap could make a big difference.

I had a terrible noise with my previous Octavia II at high speeds. First I suspected the tires (it was a deep VERY loud "humming" sound)

but it turned out to be the angle at which the front doors had been mounted. Known error at Skoda, and they even had a printed

description of it... When I drove a bit fast and the wind direction added to the wind speed it showed up.

I am NOT suggesting you have the same issue, just that some cars may have louder wind noise than others even if they are of same make

and year.

Good luck with it!

Octy II also initially had bad wind noise from quarter lights on rear doors where profile of rubber incorrect or glass not seated correctly.

No worse on mine than the Superb II, I would say if anything slightly less windy, there seems to be more rubber seals in this one compared to the Superb also. I have noticed that on very windy days, it gets blown about more than the Superb on the motorway, probably down to the lower kerb weight, but with the steering in sport mode it feels a little less twitchy.

You can always fit wind deflectors.

The only time I have ever noticed wind noise in my cars have been after a curry & a pint! :blush:  

How would you fit wind deflectors to solve that problem  :giggle:

• 6 months later...

There is deafening wind noise if you drive with one window open(especially rear window). I was quite shocked when I first encountered it. Maybe the conversation you overheard was related to that?

Other than that I think the car is very quiet

There is deafening wind noise if you drive with one window open(especially rear window). I was quite shocked when I first encountered it. Maybe the conversation you overheard was related to that?

But that applies to all cars.......

I just visit my dealer today to hear about arrival on my Combi, and i just overheard a conversation about heavy wind noise on the new octavia. does any of you any issues on your cars regarding wind noise???? the car they was discussing was a 1,6 tdi DSG

My Octavia Combi occasionally becomes very noisy at highway speeds. Two interesting aspects I've found:

A] it doesn't happen always, one highway run it's silent and I'm happy as a puppy, another day at 90-100 km/h there's a lot of noise. I don't know if it's to do with certain wind conditions (doesn't really sound plausible) or something else.

B] the sound only comes from one side of the windscreen / one A-pillar.

I wrote about it briefly here:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/306585-rattle-in-drivers-a-pillar/

Edited by johh

All cars have wind noise at speed,..

My mate has just test driven the new Seat Leon Cupra 280 deg and was so disappointed because it had the divers door whistling due to the wind and an ill fitted seal.

I've had some that are better than other, however the Skoda seems one of the quieter ones,..

Hmm, I've been with the same C-Class for 11 years but took my new vRS DRS Combi on my regular once weekly 80 mile commute for the first time on the A46 last week and there was a definite wind noise from the O/S A-pillar, albeit at just over 70 mph, ish :angel:, about 2k revs in sixth.  Am at the dealers this morning to have the dipped been warning triangle sorted and will mention the wind noise after reading this post. I suspect that given the national speed limit I'll get little sympathy but tha' never knows...

Lovin' it :rock: