Retrofit new Columbus

hkp

It does indeed look a likely candidate -I had to look them up (heard the name didn't know what MOST looked like)

It could be for anything though: in my Googling I found that Range Rover use this type of connector for the Bluetooth interface.

Let's hope that it is either not required or already there.

I wondered that too! Optical maybe? It could be a MOST type connector for the Canton sub, but I'm stabbing in the dark here.

most likely, could well be that the sub has separate amplification, or is the amplifier for the rest of the canton system??

Good news is the Bolero is out.. Takes two minutes to get both bits out. Just about to refit it now.  I'll post some pics in a sec.

Some advice - use DECENT quality stereo removal tools, not £1.25 ones from eBay with sharp edges as they WILL catch the trim and scratch it.  Not that I'm too worried as the Bolero is going anyway, but I have a little mark on the fascia that I will try and polish out of the hard plastic now.  Luckily it's on the bottom and there is a removable trim panel on the Bolero I think.

To refit the glovebox gubbins, it's easier to remove the glovebox I reckon.  Again, doesn't look too strenuous as you need to to get to the fuses on a RHD car anyway.

• Like 1

As you guys can see - there is plenty of space behind the screen for the fitment of a normal 2 din radio - or even an old school Columbus if you could code it into the CANBUS..  

In other countries the Octavia comes with the Swing and Blues stereos -which are regular double DIN. This might explain why they changed the fascia shape on the Rapid a few months after launch.

Just a thought: on the Skoda configurator -you have to order the colour maxi-dot in conjunction with the Columbus, but not the Amundsen, but it's a £1300 option for both of these including (£80 for colour maxi-dot) on the VRS versus £800 for Columbus on the Elegance which comes with colour maxi-dot as standard.

The shark fin will provide GPS capabilities on a standard car. I'm going to just bung a GPS puck under the dash as we did when retrofitting nav to the older models. The connector is the same. Good point about the colour maxidot. Might have to retro that too - but you can have black and white maxidot with the Amundsen can't you?

I'm still being optimistic it will work! I think my biggest problem will be coding at the moment. I think the dealer will have to code it as VCDS is so limited at the moment. The adaption side is better than coding at the mo which is completely undocumented.

All fun and games!

As fairly sure Ross-Tech will take donations of the new Golf and Octavia to solve the coding "problems" that people are having. ;) ;)

I got a software update yesterday for VCDS (12.12) which claims:

Includes support for 2013 and early 2014 models, including those based on the VW MQB chassis ("Mk.7" derived cars).

Supports a number of new UDS control module addresses.

So might allow coding for the Columbus retrofit. Not tried it on a mqb yet but Pre update I tried to code a new fabia Amundsen but there was no long coding helper so hopefully the update solves this.

I got a software update yesterday for VCDS (12.12) which claims:

Includes support for 2013 and early 2014 models, including those based on the VW MQB chassis ("Mk.7" derived cars).

Supports a number of new UDS control module addresses.

So might allow coding for the Columbus retrofit. Not tried it on a mqb yet but Pre update I tried to code a new fabia Amundsen but there was no long coding helper so hopefully the update solves this.

Useful! Thank you for the head's up

Nice info, and not bad pictures ...

Looks like I'd be able to fit this:

http://www.astina.dk/vw-sharan/vag-autoradio-med-navi-dvd-usb-skaerm-gen4-p-117024.html?cPath=46_591_1440

Just need to figure out if I'm going to miss the car settings, or those can be handled by the MaxiDot display.

Since my car is coming with the Swing radio, retro fitting a Columbus would mean I have to source new plastics for the glove compartment! ... Unless I've changed it by the time I get a production date.

The shark fin will provide GPS capabilities on a standard car. I'm going to just bung a GPS puck under the dash as we did when retrofitting nav to the older models. The connector is the same. Good point about the colour maxidot. Might have to retro that too - but you can have black and white maxidot with the Amundsen can't you?

My cars coming with Amundsen and standard maxi dot.

If the unit is using MOST then you have got a major problem, and it will require a visit to the dealer. MOST devices are coded to the cars ECU using a system called component protection. This basically means that any device plugged in will not work at all without being coded by VAG HQ or having the component protection disabled on the MOST bus. You cannot just retrofit a MOST based device into another car, its a great anti theft system but makes retrofits difficult.

Audi for example will for a large sum of money disable component protection on the A8 for example, and this is common when swapping instrument clusters on the D3 version to upgrade the Driver information system.

It would appear to be using MOST, but nothing is plugged into the optical bus on the Bolero that is in the car.  I suspect the MOST connection is only used for Canton...

We'll soon see when I attempt a retrofit I guess.  Electrically, there doesn't seem to be much difference between the cars with navigation and without (except GPS aerial, but that's fakra)  As with the older chassis, it looks like navigation can be enabled in the BCM in VCDS.

Well the good news is that the Columbus is in and on.. but the coding is all kinds of wrong due to the CAN bus not really know what is going on and the Infotainment unit itself not being coded properly.

VCDS is being a bit vague as this is such a new car, so I've reached out to Ross-Tech to see if they can advise.

I've a rather nasty feeling that I will need security access to the module to code it, which means I'll probably need to get friendly with a dealer with their proper computer.

You have to code Columbus with acces to skodas  onlineservers. My dealer just told me that its NOT possible to get it to work without direct online pass to skoda. they could not get my fog lights to work like DRL. So good luck....

Good progress though, well done! :)

P

Thanks Paul!

Nothing is impossible when it comes to software..... I might just have to wait until I can use my shiny new Columbus.

It is interesting that the only thing preventing ICE retrofits on the new car is software. The hardware side seems as simple as with previous generations, just that Skoda have made it harder to get the software side going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Paul!

Nothing is impossible when it comes to software..... I might just have to wait until I can use my shiny new Columbus.

It is interesting that the only thing preventing ICE retrofits on the new car is software. The hardware side seems as simple as with previous generations, just that Skoda have made it harder to get the software side going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've ordered a car with Columbus, so if I can be of any help when it arrives, let me know.

Hopefully you'll have it sorted by then!

P

Sent from my HTC Butterfly s using Tapatalk 4