Center arm rest

Wiganyeti

I have the 1.2 Automatic Elegance , I find that with the seat in the highest position that for comfort the centre arm rest is a couple of inches too low , that is with the lid of the arm rest in its highest position I am 6' 2" tall . Is there any way to modify the arm rest to give it the extra height . I do not want to just drop the height of my seat

Thanks for any help

It never works as an arm rest for me either.

I have my seat very far forward in order to reach the pedals due to my being a short arse. 

I think its known as the 'window licker' seat position  :giggle:

Should'nt the phrase be, vertically challenged? :giggle:

If you are a bit handy there are a few of these on eBay

End time: 5 Oct 2013 22:13:20 BST

View item:

Car Armrest Cover Center Console Latch For VW JETTA GOLF BORA SKODA LAVIDA

Sorry can't get the link to copy on ipad

Sent from my iPad

Nigel

Thanks for that , how do these increase the current height of the armrest, I checked on your link but could not see any thing that indicated increased height could be achieved

I'm pretty handy in making things. I wondered if you obtained some foam and covered it, placed this on top of the existing armrest and topped it with the eBay one there might be a solution to be had.

This may give you some ideas

http://bestbeddingreviews2ecul.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/best-car-armrest-console-cushion-in.html

or

If you are handy with a sewing machine you could make one and fix it with elastic or velcro

Regards

Mike

This video is a joke, right? People don't really buy these do they? Only in America... :giggle: 

Mind you, I suppose 30-odd years ago, front armrests would have been laughed at?

It never works as an arm rest for me either.

I have my seat very far forward in order to reach the pedals due to my being a short arse. 

I think its known as the 'window licker' seat position  :giggle:

Don't want to concern you at all Marie, but I've always wondered what happens with the seat in the "window licker" position, if you're ever (Heaven forbid) in a situation were the airbag is triggered.  I guess there must be enough room between the airbag and you for it to do its stuff and not ram you back through the seat, or they wouldn't be allowed to provide that position in the first place.  At this point I have to admit it's not just your own welfare I'm concerned about, but SWMBO also shares your vertically challenged, seat at highest position physique.  Whereas by comparison, I'm an average sort of guy, at 5' 10", with a very Italian preferred driving position - low, laid back, with arms and legs relatively outstretched. SWMBO by comparison to get close to reach the pedals, has her arms nearly at right angles and hence has to use the shuffle the wheel through her hands technique. 

I presume they test airbags with seats and dummies in all positions?  Anybody know?

I've always been concerned about the safety of airbags since I nearly bought a car with an early passenger airbag but no means to disable it. Sales person couldn't understand why I didn't want the car because of that, even after I explained I had a very young child who used a rear-facing child seat at the time.  It was considered normal to put them in the front seat at the time.

Probably not helpful, but I have always regarded the term "arm rest" as a joke.  I have never had a car where I could rest my arm on one!

In my 3-series I use the centre arm rest ALL the time. Especially on longer journeys. Changing gears or applying the hand brake would hardly be possible without it?  I would certainly be lost if the arm rest wasn't there!  But then, as mentioned above, I do prefer an Italian driving position. 

Being an S+, the Yeti doesn't even have one!  But I DO so miss it whenever I'm driving Sergei. :think: