Diesel v Petrol

Hi.

I placed an order for a petrol vRS estate on Sunday 29th. I received a called from the salesman last night, to the effect that he heated windscreen isn't an option now on the petrol engine cars. If I want a heated screen I need to change my order to a diesel.

Not his fault but this seems to  be a ridiculous state of affairs, especially as others on this site have taken delivery of the petrol model with heated screen.

Must say I'm disappointed with the Skoda website allowing me to spec the car as I wanted it only to be told I can't have it :wall:  

I rang Skoda UK today and the CSR I spoke to confirmed no heated screen on the petrol cars. She also said she would flag this up to have the configurator changed to reflect this.

Anyone driven the petrol and diesel back to back can offer any insights as to how different (or hopefully similar) they are?

Thanks

Andy

Someone on here somehow has a VRS delivered (petrol) with the heated screen...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/290032-our-vrs-tsi-at-the-dealer-with-heated-screen/

Hi mate.

I saw that thanks, and mentioned it to the CSR at Skoda this morning. All the girl said was that Skoda change the spec from time to time. When I asked why, the reply was that it could be due to supply or changing the design. I pointed out that a heated screen wasn't really a 'design' issue but it wasn't her fault so I left it at that.

I found various posts about the heated screen 'pot luck' situation on this site. Obviously some have got it and some have been told the same as I have.

I just don't want to change my order for a diesel and then find that it becomes available again in three weeks on petrol cars.

My options at the moment seem to be:

1. Drive the diesel and see what it's like.

2.Choose another car/marque

Technically there is a third option:

3. Accept that I can't have the screen 

TBH this isn't really an option, it's something I've had on the last four cars I've owned and one I use a lot in winter. I work nights and at the end of my shift in the winter months my car is often frozen up. All I want to do is get in, get home and get to bed. A heated screen facilitates this, not having it means buggering about with the scraper/de-icer.

It may seem trivial, but this has really ticked me off. If it wasn't available as an option from the outset that would be one thing but finding that Skoda have screwed up their own ordering system is annoying and also makes one wonder what else they can't get right. :thumbdown:

Andy

Having drivern both, the petrol is by far the better car in every way apart from running costs. The petrol is noticeably faster, more responsive, more refined and sounds like a proper sports car. The diesel feels very nippy (similar to my current BMW 320D), but does to feel "fast" and it lacks refinement compared to the BM. If you do low mileage just get the petrol and forget about the heated windscreen.

For driving the petrol always wins. For economy the Diesel. Have had both and enjoy the powerful diesels due to the torque, but miss the free reving nature of a petrol. On the windscreen, I have a heated one now, and am swapping to a car without one!!!. In winter the heated windscreen can save you a lot of time, so I will miss it. Have bought some crap that you spray on and is supposed to prevent it from freezing. Got it cheap in the summer so will give it a go  :think:

I drove them both back to the back, and to be honest, the petrol felt more "diesely" in the traditional sence than the diesel! Much more of a kick in the back, and a full rev-range to use from the petrol!

Just tried to spec my car again, after the debacle over the heated screen.

I still wanted the heated seats and heated washer nozzles but the blasted configurator won't let me have these unless I tick the heated screen option. It actually brings up a screen telling me I must have the heated screen if I want the heated nozzles.

WTF?? :wall:

Is it right that I'm so cross about this and am now concerned that if a vehicle manufacturer can't get their own configurator right, can I trust them to build the car correctly?

Seriously thinking about cancelling my order TBH.

Both have their obvious merits. Petrol is the real performer but will cost more to run in every way (particularly depreciation).

The diesel is still a quick car but just wont feel it, not particularly exciting and very much warm rather than pseudo hot hatch, but given its strong performance its very cheap to run and will retain its value considerably better.

Choice for me would be TSi by the heart, TDi by the head and I am still honestly not entirely sure which id choose. Going by my experience with my MK2 FL vRS CR DSG I suspect id tire of the TDi quite quickly despite the fact its competent and cheap to run and am thinking maybe now the additional running costs might be justified by enjoying the TSi just that bit more.

• Like 1

A watering can with warm (not hot) water does a good job of impersonating the heated screen if you're set on the petrol and it's cheaper........

A perimistic view would be check with your insurance too as many put a limit on what they will pay out for windscreen changes as you might find they either won't meet the full cost or exclude heated screens altogether.

As above heart says petrol, head says wiesel, ring worries about TSi cam chain tensioners :giggle:

Could it be the diesel actually needs the heated screen.

Being so thermodynamically efficient an all.

Whereas the horribly inefficient petrol dumps so much wasted energy in the form of heat.

It does not need one.

The other more technically esoteric reason is possibly that the diesel needs a bigger battery, which in turn needs a bigger alternator as a standard spec, to allow for cold winter starts.

And Skoda reckon this nett difference in amperage available after a winter start, could or would comprimise the voltage/current available for lights etc.

Simples an logical.

buy a diesel

• Like 3

Its a Skoda UK thing through and through. The TSi can handle the heated screen; there is even a bloke on here who ordered a TSi through Wayside MK who has had his car delivered with it installed.

maybe it slipped the net but goes to show its possible, also bet its available across the EU.

Its a Skoda UK thing through and through. The TSi can handle the heated screen; there is even a bloke on here who ordered a TSi through Wayside MK who has had his car delivered with it installed.

maybe it slipped the net but goes to show its possible, also bet its available across the EU.

I the German brochure and price list there is no mention of the TSI restriction on heated screen. It just shows this:

Beheizbare Windschutzscheibe 180,– € 180,– € and you can order it seperately.

The UK winter pack adds the heated seats, heated jets and windscreen, with all of them on together then this could be more than the alternator could deal with but probably like most people I only wanted the heated screen and the jets.

I will be speaking to Skoda UK. I don't give my chances of getting a meaningful response though.

Skodas response has been that it is to do with alternator loads.

That does make some kind of sense due to the higher current demands of the Diesel engine - primarily the heavier duty starter motor and the glow plugs.

Edited by Timoctav

• 3 weeks later...

On the subject of diesel performance, I've searched the forum and can't find anything on whether there is any precedent for Skoda introducing a tuning pack or similar to the golf GTD to up the power, or whether this upgrade might be compatible in due course? I know there will be tuning boxes, but seems a shame to wait for warranty to expire before getting the power up to petrol levels!   :think:  

They dont, its just for the GTi.

Mate must be full of b$ then as he said there was one coming out! 

Nonetheless I've got a petrol smiles car or 3, this needs to remind me of them whilst being practical, so TDI it was, and if it's breathed on in the future for more power / mpg all the better. Heated front screen essential for German(and increasingly British) winters though!

Edited by jtypecav
  • Like 1

Test driven both, after nearly five years in a diesel DSG vRS, I wanted a petrol one. Petrol drives better, smoother more poke. Slight worries over MPG, but I never seemed to get more than 46mpg on a long run anyhow on my present diesel vRS. I was always paranoid about the dpf and dmf as well. Worries were unfounded though. Had one failed temp sensor on it last year, but it has served me well and it will go on sale here nearer to new car arriving, sometime in January. I can honestly say I have NEVER hankered after a heated screen either as my car is garaged. What's the point??

Can't wait for my Corrida red tsi dsg estate to arrive!! Without heated screen, but with Black pack Amundsen, tint and Canton. I might however miss my heated seats :-(