Does anyone use 6th gear

Much the same as Wardy. Tried to check mpg in cruise control at same speed in 5th and 6th but the mpg change due to road undulations gave confusing readings.

My diesel technique over the  years is to get into the highest gear possible without labouring the engine and the faster you go , the more fuel is used.

From recent business trips where I was taking it fairly easily, I can definitely state my car is NOT more economical at 75-80 than 70 in 6th. :think:  I got around 5mpg better by not exceeding 70 mph on two trips up north over two weeks.

Edited by gregoir

TFSI is so torquey [sic] I often block change up, 1-2-4-6.

Even after some tweaks and with 403nm measured I still feel I could use more torque, so yea, I guess it's all a matter of perception.

I mostly use 6th on the motorways, otherwise I prefer sticking to a lower gear and having instant throttle response (usually around 2500rpm).

Even after some tweaks and with 403nm measured I still feel I could use more torque, so yea, I guess it's all a matter of perception.

I mostly use 6th on the motorways, otherwise I prefer sticking to a lower gear and having instant throttle response (usually around 2500rpm).

I would do that, but it kills your MPG

Ive never used it as its always more economical when travelling at 120 km to use 5th gear. My GF asked me the other day when we were driving down the motorway why i didnt use 6th and i told her why...she looked puzzled so i told her to note what mpg we were getting now at this speed and that we had travelled an hour, i then put it into 6th and low and behold it went down over the next hour at then same speed.

I flat out don't believe that you actually do get better mpg in 5th than 6th at 75 mph. If your trip computer tells you that you do then it is lying.

To get some idea why, have a look at the following BSFC plot and explanation, and the plot below it which is presumably for a CR engine not that disimilar to yours. (Note that lower BSFC means lower fuel consumption for a given amount of power and therefore better fuel economy.)

You really need to do some brim to brim (first click on pump to first click on pump) tests to see what is actaully happening. These don't need to be full tanks either.

Edit: I realised actually I don't know if the OP's VRS is petrol or diesel, but the same principles apply to all engines.
Edited by Ultrasonic

I tend to buy my cars used and after reading this thread by the time I get one of your old cars the DMF will be shot :giggle:

I know what you mean. I used to drive at 30 mph in 5th (top gear in my car) but stopped to protect my DMF. I now stick to 3rd gear at 30 mph, which as others have pointed out is also safer.

Edited by Ultrasonic
  • Like 1

How can a car be "more settled" in bends at higher engine revs?

More responsive perhaps, not more settled.

Driving a vehicle in a "power band" around a bend will always have the car more stable and produce more mechanical grip then almost "floating" around a bend in a higher gear. On a track you will be taught to accelerate around a bend as opposed to coast around it.

I hope this helps explain what I think the previous poster meant.

k,

Did you actually read the rest of that post of mine.

I can understand that it makes the car "feel" more settled, because the centrpidal and other forces are forcing suspension components to apparently "tighten" up by winding them up, in one direction.

In engineering terminology eliminating "backlash"

Therefore it is more predictable and responsive.

but not more settled, per se.

An irony that when driving "at the limit" one feels one is more in more control, even though, by the very defination, there is no/less room for error.

To reduce the argument/debate in the other direction, it feels absolutly horrible to even attempt to corner while "free wheeling" or out of gear.

cheers

marcus

Edited by dieseldogg

True, but I guess I didn't buy a 200hp car to care about MPG (which actually is not that bad tbh, better than my golf anyway!)

Yeh true, same here. Worth saving a few MPG so u when you do burn it about, it evens itself out  :giggle:

How can a car be "more settled" in bends at higher engine revs?

More responsive perhaps, not more settled.

Going back to my biking days I believe it's a question of balance. If you are in the correct gear to negotiate the bend then the engine either pulls or pushes the car round the bend depending whether its fwd or rwd keeping the weight front to rear evenly distributed. If you're in too high a gear this effect is lost or deminished and the centalfugal forces that are trying to make the car go straight on start to unsettle the car as the weight transfers forwards and towards the outside of the bend so the car becomes less stable (I think LOL)

The other thing immediately visible using the mpg read out is how gradient affects it, for obvious reasons. If you use cruise control on a long open, but rolling up and down,  road the mpg changes immediately you enter a grade. It seems, when going up,  mine is often better using a lower gear but at lower revs, i.e. climbing the grade more slowly but more efficiently?

Pity all roads aren't downhill................in both directions......................

Cruise control isn't capable of reading gradients. So you're better tackling those yourself, especially when a 'rise and fall' road is concerned. Otherwise MPG will be affected by CC trying to maintain the set speed, no matter what.

Sometimes you don't see the need to absolutely maintain the same speed; go up the gradient on a constant throttle, then you can use the gradient on the other side to build speed back up for free :)

k,

Did you actually read the rest of that post of mine.

I can understand that it makes the car "feel" more settled, because the centrpidal and other forces are forcing suspension components to apparently "tighten" up by winding them up, in one direction.

In engineering terminology eliminating "backlash"

Therefore it is more predictable and responsive.

but not more settled, per se.

An irony that when driving "at the limit" one feels one is more in more control, even though, by the very defination, there is no/less room for error.

To reduce the argument/debate in the other direction, it feels absolutly horrible to even attempt to corner while "free wheeling" or out of gear.

cheers

marcus

Guilty as charged Marcus, I only realised after posting, how late to the party I was!!!