"Phantom" fabia II vRS estate

sharkrider

Oh dear, not a pretty picture :(.

What is the number of those NGK Dave?

They look like straight from pensioner's car which was never taken above 3k rpm and had oil consumption issue as well! Without knowing the plug number they look like way too cold for the engine i.e. they are not heating up sufficiently to burn off deposits or are correct heat range but overwhelmed by the amount of oil they have to burn through.

Not sure about the colour but greenish deposit? Perhaps it is the photo itself.

I will order a set of 7 ' now!

Edited by Jabozuma
  • Like 1

Oh dear, not a pretty picture :(.

What is the number of those NGK Dave?

They look like straight from pensioner's car which was never taken above 3k rpm and had oil consumption issue as well! Without knowing the plug number they look like way too cold for the engine i.e. they are not heating up sufficiently to burn off deposits or are correct heat range but overwhelmed by the amount of oil they have to burn through.

Not sure about the colour but greenish deposit? Perhaps it is the photo itself.

I will order a set of 7 ' now!

I think they were running too hot Jab... i.e too hot in there for their operational window.... 7's should suit better.

I run my plugs until 40k and only changed as a precaution. I've driven hard and no real issues apart from one funny moment when some sporadic codes flagged up in the very early days. I've never seen plugs like that before.

• Like 1

I think they were running too hot Jab... i.e too hot in there for their operational window.... 7's should suit better.

Cold plug is for very hot engines, hot plug is for cold engines - that is how I took it when I was learning about them at the time. If plug is too cold it means it is dissipating the heat too well and it is not heating up sufficiently to bur of the deposits normally occurring during combustion process. They are basically completely covered in crap. Decrease the plug heat rating number, say go 6 or 5.

If plug is too hot it means that combustion temps are too high for it. It looks very clean and ceramic is "bubbled up" and your engine detonates so you need to increase the heat rating number, go 8 or 9.

It is basically counter intuitive.

This the way I have it in my head but if wrong I'd be happy to be corrected :)

• Like 1

ae0a4150efd3b624e934ad1158c73d09.jpg

From the right

1.Brand new plug

2.Almost perfect, a little bit too lean for my liking

3. Perfect

4. Rich with bad swirl in combustion chamber - patches of white within very black soot

5. Too rich

All of them correct heat range for the engine as no deposits.

They are from different engine, not my vRS :).

Curious to see my car's plugsies when I pull them September!

ae0a4150efd3b624e934ad1158c73d09.jpg

From the right

1.Brand new plug

2.Almost perfect, a little bit too lean for my liking

3. Perfect

4. Rich with bad swirl in combustion chamber - patches of white within very black soot

5. Too rich

All of them correct heat range for the engine as no deposits.

They are from different engine, not my vRS :).

Curious to see my car's plugsies when I pull them September!

• Like 1

You broke it!

Crappy fuel? Although knowing you it's had a nice diet so probably not. Quite temperamental these 1.4tsi's.

They certainly are! It's a labour of love owning one.... Bit it all makes sense when everything is working as it should.

Not like you 1.9 TDI owners, just fire and forget with those bullet proof lumps. It's a shame the 1.4 tsi isn't remotely similar in that respect.

they have their problems Ally ;) cam wear , a high diet of turbo's, pipes blowing off, fly wheels ect ect ;)

I did brake it Ad , its back now, all clean and working, lets hope there is no long term damage! lol.. They have a brand new estate in grey , pre registered for £15,500..........hhhhmmmmm wonder if they would swop all my bits over! lol...

• Like 1

indeed, lets avoid the fabia II forums, and enjoy our cars and briskoda like it was meant to be! lol...

Or buy a Superb ;)

Just waiting for my pipe and slippers through the post.

..................it's actually too quiet and comfortable, it is making me drive like an old man.

You will kill yourself laughing at Combe when I show you Fabia boys what really body lean looks like :rofl:

• Like 1

yes, that plug pic and descriptions fit my knowledge... but none of them l;ook like my plugs!

anyone know why my plugs look like they do?!

Second from the left bottom row

Read_Spark_M5oh.jpg

Plenty of others available, like NGK one :)

sparkplugt.jpg

Edited by Jabozuma
  • Like 1

I'd have another one but would love to keep it out of warranty and that's the thing that worries me!

Saying that any car can go wrong at any time.

£15,500 for an ex demo seems a lot - 20% vat deal made mine so cheap - £14,,000 for a brand new one! Gimme another in blue!

I love the look of yours lowered, I trust the tyres make an awful lot of difference as well!

Remap or tuning box tempted you yet?

• Like 1

its been so fast on track with a standard engine, I have not even thought of that route....

the tyres make a HUGE difference, I will be going for RSRs again soon as I'm down to 2 mill now...

my insurance company says FARB is no cost, so thats going on soon! but its 3rd...

1st) front tyres (before my sept ring trip! will finish the current ones off at castle coomb summer action day!)

2nd) better brake pads.... I may have to bite the bullet and get some that are £135 :( tarox corsa....... in theory I will be ALOT faster with brakes that dont overheat... brakes are still the weak point at the moment....

3rd) H&R FARB.... over the winter hopefully , for next years track days :)

• Like 1

its been so fast on track with a standard engine, I have not even thought of that route....

the tyres make a HUGE difference, I will be going for RSRs again soon as I'm down to 2 mill now...

my insurance company says FARB is no cost, so thats going on soon! but its 3rd...

1st) front tyres (before my sept ring trip! will finish the current ones off at castle coomb summer action day!)

2nd) better brake pads.... I may have to bite the bullet and get some that are £135 :( tarox corsa....... in theory I will be ALOT faster with brakes that dont overheat... brakes are still the weak point at the moment....

3rd) H&R FARB.... over the winter hopefully , for next years track days :)

I can recommend the Tarox pads! I've had the corsa and corsa+ . Corsa+ the best but the more basic Corsa good enough.

• Like 1