Acc & lane assist..... Delays on orders, temporarily removed as optional extra

Im not bothered about loosing thede,what i m bothered about is loosing them and nothing extra being introduced instead,as they wont drop the price of the car

I agree. The price must reduce. As I said in another post, my stepdaughters 2004 fiesta has folding mirrors - 9 years later in automotive advancement and a top of the range Octavia doesn't have them.

It's just crazy that they'll drop stuff like this from the UK.

"Automatic indicator for lane changing / overtaking."

How would that work, except by telepathy?

The whole point about indicating is that you do it after checking all around, but BEFORE you begin a manoeuvre.

Please forgive an off-topic rant, but:

people who signal late (e.g., whose brake lights ever come on before their indicators) really annoy / worry / frighten me - even more than people who fail to indicate at all.

People who don't bother to signal at all are rude / lazy / ignorant / inconsiderate / generally a pain in the arse.  However peole who signal late are much more of a worry - they are really frightening because they are clearly so stupid that they don't even have the faintest idea what the purpose is of signalling.  That is really worrying.  They just do it out of force of habit or because they have been told "You always signal as you go round a corner".

If you are so dim that you cannot grasp the the purpose of signalling is in order to tell other road users what you intend to do (as distinct from telling them what you have already started to do) then you shouldn't be behind a steering wheel.  [End of rant]  

Cool your jets, I'm pretty sure lfc958 was having a laugh. It was a dig at BMW drivers, wasn't it?

That's not what it does, it just keeps you between the white lines.

As for your other comments, I kind of agree, however it depends how you view driving aids. ACC, Front Assist, Lane Assist etc etc, are safety nets, they're there for when things go wrong. Only an idiot would drive hands free or read a book because they have these aids (and these idiots do exist - which is why I kind of agree with your point).

Cheers for clearing that up for me dodgy, now I am actually laughing out loud at the thought of people ordering a system to keep them in a lane while driving. How have we managed all these years to do it with such driver aids pmsl, and there paying for it too.

Cheers for clearing that up for me dodgy, now I am actually laughing out loud at the thought of people ordering a system to keep them in a lane while driving. How have we managed all these years to do it with such driver aids pmsl, and there paying for it too.

Many don't manage it, some total their car, some get killed and some kills others.. 

• Like 3

You are more than correct kabe, as you said some people even die. The opinion I have on all these systems is that the driving std's are going to do nothing but fall even more, as more and more people will rely on then to tell, inform or correct when there doing wrong. How are we even going to become a good driver if the car is doing everything to fix your mistakes because we are not even trying to drive good.

You are more than correct kabe, as you said some people even die. The opinion I have on all these systems is that the driving std's are going to do nothing but fall even more, as more and more people will rely on then to tell, inform or correct when there doing wrong. How are we even going to become a good driver if the car is doing everything to fix your mistakes because we are not even trying to drive good.

I agree, that's why I see it as a safety function not a pillow to sleep on. same as almost any other safety function in a car. :)

These systems are a convenience and you should see them as such. It's the same as having your dinner heated by a microwave oven. You can still go outside, gather some wood, find some flint, spend half an hour trying to get the fire going and then try and heat up whatever part of your food that hasn't molted already... Or you can just press a button and have it ready in 30 seconds.

Just because you decide it is more convenient for you to press a button instead of doing all of the above, that doesn't mean you can't do/know how to do any of the above.

By your logic even the normal cruise control would be complete nonsense, while cruise control is truly a god-send on motorways. I mean, we can all keep our foot on a pedal for extended periods of time, right? Right?

Edited by TudorM
  • Like 1

I seem to one of the few who arent to bothered about these "driver aids" being removed. For starters i would never depend on a sensor to maintain my distace or brake for me as the system dosent work, (vw's own demo video). As for lane assist i dont need that too, i'm more than capable of looking over my shoulder before i change lane. 

I wonder what people said when other 'driver aids' were introduced...

Servo-Assisted Brakes

Seatbelts and then Seatbelt Pretensioners

High-Level Brake Lights and then faster reacting LED's

Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS)

Traction Control

Halogen Headlights

Electronic Stability Control

Catalytic Converters

Airbags

The list is endless, but more importantly most of these have been cost-options over the years.

It's called progress. Some catch-on, others don't. I for one welcome the advances automotive manufacturers make in innovation on safety related features, even if we all end up paying for their development in the long run.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 4

If Skoda are dropping this due to supply issues or technical difficulties, then fair enough. However, cars that have them listed as standard options should be given a reduction in RRP. Let's hope they don't run out of brake pedals next.

• Like 1

I for one will be cancelling my order that I made over the weekend. Part of my purchasing decision was based on these features, I was actually a little disappointed when they said I couldn't have a heated windscreen any more (removed the option on the vRS). So when they told me that three major features are being pulled after I put my order in, it tipped me right over the edge.

I'm pretty sure my dealer knew full well what the score was but they decided to try their luck and hope I didn't cancel. So annoyed... no idea what car to get now as there is no direct alternative in the VAG range. Unless of course I want an A6 or something which would cost 10 - 20k more.

I'm pretty sure my dealer knew full well what the score was but they decided to try their luck and hope I didn't cancel. So annoyed... no idea what car to get now as there is no direct alternative in the VAG range. Unless of course I want an A6 or something which would cost 10 - 20k more.

The dealers know this.

This is why you'll still end up buying a Skoda :giggle:

As a lot of others I would feel cheated if my car didn't come with lane assist purely because it's stated as standard equipment on a car I bought and if it's not standard I also don't expect to have to pay for it either.

I've never used lane assist before but I think it a step in the right direction. Yes we can all manage to drive in a straight line but we could also all nod off at the wheel as well, I don't mean sleep as in to be out for the count but it has been proven that drivers when tired can 'micro sleep' for a split second or seconds without even realising, you think you have only blinked but could actually of slept for a second or less or god forbid more. In that split second or more if this system even manages to avoid one accident or save one life, then as standard equipment it's worth having is it not?

Ever been almost wiped out on the motor way by a driver who has nodded off for a few seconds? I have and being it was a huge articulated lorry and the only reason I'm here today is I noticed the drivers head drop in his mirror as I passed causing me to move into the outside lane and accelerate before he swerved into the middle lane and woke up. It's not something I would like to experience again and if something like this becomes mainstream helping to avoid this type of incidence then I'm all for it.

On top of the obvious safety function this provides don't forget that things like this are what contributes to me being able to insure my VRS in these days of huge insurance premium hikes for little over £200!

• Like 3

As a lot of others I would feel cheated if my car didn't come with lane assist purely because it's stated as standard equipment on a car I bought and if it's not standard I also don't expect to have to pay for it either.

I've never used lane assist before but I think it a step in the right direction. Yes we can all manage to drive in a straight line but we could also all nod off at the wheel as well, I don't mean sleep as in to be out for the count but it has been proven that drivers when tired can 'micro sleep' for a split second or seconds without even realising, you think you have only blinked but could actually of slept for a second or less or god forbid more. In that split second or more if this system even manages to avoid one accident or save one life, then as standard equipment it's worth having is it not?

Ever been almost wiped out on the motor way by a driver who has nodded off for a few seconds? I have and being it was a huge articulated lorry and the only reason I'm here today is I noticed the drivers head drop in his mirror as I passed causing me to move into the outside lane and accelerate before he swerved into the middle lane and woke up. It's not something I would like to experience again and if something like this becomes mainstream helping to avoid this type of incidence then I'm all for it.

On top of the obvious safety function this provides don't forget that things like this are what contributes to me being able to insure my VRS in these days of huge insurance premium hikes for little over £200!

I am unsure whether having lane assist is safer than not having it, especially if it provides a placebo affect to tired drivers who should otherwise rest. In the past I have micro-slept or had my attention diverted whilst driving, and I very much appreciated hitting the rumble strip. The consequences could have been very bad had I not touched the rumble strips but instead contimued motoring ahead blindly at ~70mph. Combined with cruise control this could be an extremely dangerous combo, with no driver control required to maintain speed and continue ahead uninterrupted. I tend to think that LA is a bad idea and will switch it off if my VRS actually comes with this installed. I will of course still begrudge paying for it if it is not included because it may hit resale values if this stoppage is only temporary.

Edited by Orville

I am unsure whether having lane assist is safer than not having it, especially if it provides a placebo affect to tired drivers who should otherwise rest. In the past I have micro-slept or had my attention diverted whilst driving, and I very much appreciated hitting the rumble strip. The consequences could have been very bad had I not touched the rumble strips but instead contimued motoring ahead blindly at ~70mph. Combined with cruise control this could be an extremely dangerous combo, with no driver control required to maintain speed and continue ahead uninterrupted. I tend to think that LA is a bad idea and will switch it off if my VRS actually comes with this installed. I will of course still begrudge paying for it if it is not included because it may affect resale values if it is only removed for a short time.

But it not just the function of LA on its own is it, it's also the driver fatigue detection to make you aware your nodding off but in that split second also stopping you from crossing onto the rumble strips in the first place. You could wake up as soon as you feel the bumps but what if your sudden swerve causes the car next to you to swerve and hit another car or panic and lose control.

I don't see these as taking anything away from the driver but more purely as a diver aid, no way should the be considered to be there to drive the car for you and I think that's why the car gets upset if you show signs of fatigue or remove your hands from the wheel.

Also if you fall asleep while driving there's nothing to say you'll slow down you could quite easily floor it without realising.

As I've said above I've not used driver assist yet so I'll refrain from declaring it the second coming but I don't think the manufactures would go to the bother of creating the feature if it didn't have a proven safety function. Like any other new tech that comes along human nature is to dislike and distrust it. The amount of friends I have who said that they would never leave their blackberry's when the iPhone revolutionised the smartphone market because they wanted to feel the keyboard and they had a PC for the Internet or why would I ever need an app for anything. Point is tech changes, we change and thus far things have gotten better and safer, traction control and stability control prove this point very well as 10 years or more ago they were hated by most drivers, these are now law on new models and are we all safer for it? I would say yes.

• Like 3

@Orville, lane assist doesn't work like that... It will keep you centered on your lane by itself but only for a couple of seconds. If it senses that you're not touching the wheel or doing it in "wake" like fashion it will raise an alarm and ask you to resume driving yourself. Same with the driver fatigue alert, like Mike mentioned.

@Orville, lane assist doesn't work like that... It will keep you centered on your lane by itself but only for a couple of seconds. If it senses that you're not touching the wheel or doing it in "wake" like fashion it will raise an alarm and ask you to resume driving yourself. Same with the driver fatigue alert, like Mike mentioned.

10 seconds :)

• Like 1

I couldn't care less if Lane assist was not on my car. Personally, I really didn't like it.

And surely that would mean I got something else for free seeing as it was 'standard'?

I for one will be cancelling my order that I made over the weekend. Part of my purchasing decision was based on these features, I was actually a little disappointed when they said I couldn't have a heated windscreen any more (removed the option on the vRS). So when they told me that three major features are being pulled after I put my order in, it tipped me right over the edge.

You can still order the heated windscreen, you just need to order it as part of the winter pack which also gives you heated seats and heated washer nozzles.

You can still order the heated windscreen, you just need to order it as part of the winter pack which also gives you heated seats and heated washer nozzles.

Not true.... I attempted to order this on Saturday and the dealer said this was not possible. We discussed it at length and this was verified by the sales manager. You used to be able to order but it's now only for other models such as the elegance. Anyway, it's irrelevant now as I'm cancelling the order. Thinking about what to get next. Possibly Focus ST Estate Mountune edition.

Not true.... I attempted to order this on Saturday and the dealer said this was not possible. We discussed it at length and this was verified by the sales manager. You used to be able to order but it's now only for other models such as the elegance. Anyway, it's irrelevant now as I'm cancelling the order. Thinking about what to get next. Possibly Focus ST Estate Mountune edition.

When you say the heated screen has been removed do you mean on the TSI or the TSI & TDI?

The model I ordered was the vRS 2.0 Petrol, unsure about other models.

Heated windscreen has never officially been available on any petrol models. Although a lucky few have managed to get orders sneaked through.