Changing pads and discs

Rear discs are an absolute pig to change as you have to remove the caliper carrier, which is bolted on using 2 m14 spline bolts torqued up very tight, and unless you have a lift or a pit it's v.awkward to get any real leverage on them.

• Like 1

Rear discs are an absolute pig to change as you have to remove the caliper carrier, which is bolted on using 2 m14 spline bolts torqued up very tight, and unless you have a lift or a pit it's v.awkward to get any real leverage on them.

My indy even complained about how much of a PITA the rears were.

Hi Taxi, what disc are they are where from please?

I have just done the rear's tonight and can confirm that access to the rear carrier bolts is absolute kak.

Once they are cracked they can be done by hand.

For the top bolt I had socket and ratchet straight down which just got enough room to undo.

The bottom one I had socket, 4inch extender and a uni joint then the ratchet came out to about 9-o-clock (as you look at the disc/hub)

I 2nd that coz I did the front in no time at all but the back is a nightmare as I can't get those damn m14 spline bolts loose. When I've got 5 ill need to stop at a garage and ask them kindly to loosen them off and grease a little, that way I can get the job done simple enough at home. Is it just the Skoda Octavia that has those bloody bolts on the Vag range?

Yeah there the ones. I've just brought. Only got rears on at the mo but initial impressions are good.

Yep got me some of those a few months back too, had them coated also and bought green stuff pads for the front and mintex for the rears, they look nice under my black wheels.

I 2nd that coz I did the front in no time at all but the back is a nightmare as I can't get those damn m14 spline bolts loose. When I've got 5 ill need to stop at a garage and ask them kindly to loosen them off and grease a little, that way I can get the job done simple enough at home. Is it just the Skoda Octavia that has those bloody bolts on the Vag range?

I've got the fronts to do yet. I bought a set of Brembo front discs about 2yrs ago thinking I'd be changing them soon but the existing pair don't seem to have worn down at all! After the nightmare of the rears I'm looking forward to doing the fronts!

From all the guides I've seen for the rears the M14 bolts are common across all the ranges, Golf/Leon/A3.