Driving at night - Dipped beam - Horrific!

So, i have just done my proper night drive in the new car, i have changed the headlight bulbs to Phillips Extreme Blue vision, and i was really shocked/horrified at how s***e the range on dipped beam was for my headlights! to the point i wanted to pull over and call the RAC out! 

I had, MAX, a range of about 20m before the light stopped! i literally couldn't see anything past 20m in front of me with dipped beam. 

on high beam it was better but no where what i expected after up rating the headlight bulbs! i'd hate to think what it would of been like with the standard bulbs in! 

Anyone else have this issue? is there a way of adjusting them (Yes i have checked the level marker in the car its set at '0' and rolling it up brings the beam even closer to the car!)

If not it's another item to add to my growing list for the dealer to sort on the 14th! 

People have commented that the Monte lights aren't brilliant, but not to the extent of calling the RAC out, and that's with standard bulbs

I was considering putting the black lamps in my Elegance, but I think it would be a retrograde step instead of a worthwhile mod  :(

People have commented that the Monte lights aren't brilliant, but not to the extent of calling the RAC out, and that's with standard bulbs

I was considering putting the black lamps in my Elegance, but I think it would be a retrograde step instead of a worthwhile mod   :(

This was truly Horrific driving with them, i did not like it one bit driving with them! 

I can concur the that Fabia II headlights are poo.

I changed my bulbs to Osram Night Breaker and these are a great improvement over standard.

I have upgraded my bulbs to these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271270504841?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Supposed to give 30% more light! i'd hate to think what it would of been like with the standard bulbs!

Im going to mention it tomorrow to be addressed on the 14th as IMO these were truly unsafe for use at night! there's something not right them ATM.

Just raise the height if the beam, most from new were quite low.

This alone will make quite a lot of difference.

Steve.

How do i do this? i did see a thread on here a while ago about a little black screw on the headlight to turn? i had a look when i got in earlier but couldn't see what they meant!

This was truly Horrific driving with them, i did not like it one bit driving with them! 

I have upgraded my bulbs to these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271270504841?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Supposed to give 30% more light! i'd hate to think what it would of been like with the standard bulbs!

Im going to mention it tomorrow to be addressed on the 14th as IMO these were truly unsafe for use at night! there's something not right them ATM.

I can't understand why you bothered going for only 30% brighter

I'm pretty sure the normal Phillips Extremes are something like 90% brighter

Form over function isn't always a good idea

I can't understand why you bothered going for only 30% brighter

I'm pretty sure the normal Phillips Extremes are something like 90% brighter

Form over function isn't always a good idea

Well, i went off my old Octavia lights which were brilliant even with standard bulbs, so didn't see the need for more light but wanted the blue tint and the added bonus of 30% brighter.  it would seem i should of tried to get some 1,000% brighter! 

Well, i went off my old Octavia lights which were brilliant even with standard bulbs, so didn't see the need for more light but wanted the blue tint and the added bonus of 30% brighter.  it would seem i should of tried to get some 1,000% brighter! 

I'm sure if they are THAT bad all of the Montes (and vRSs, come to that) in creation would have had a recall notice for being unsafe

I ran a Monte hatch before I got the Elegance, and would never have described the lights as 'horrific'

I'm sure if they are THAT bad all of the Montes (and vRSs, come to that) in creation would have had a recall notice for being unsafe

I ran a Monte hatch before I got the Elegance, and would never have described the lights as 'horrific'

Maybe mine have been set wrong from factory if, like mentioned above, you can adjust them yourself from under the bonnet. With the amount of faults on my car so far i wouldn't be surprised! 

I think one thing of note is that projector type headlights have a very sharp cut off point where the light beam ends -fitting more powerful bulbs will not make them reach further, but will obviously the light will be brighter within the illuminated area. I'd get the adjustment checked. 

• Like 1

I can concur the that Fabia II headlights are poo.

I changed my bulbs to Osram Night Breaker and these are a great improvement over standard.

Both friends and me find the Phillips blue bulbs look nice outside the car but are weak from a vision stand point in night driving.

I have the limited edition Osram Night Breaker Gold and they weren't exactly expensive but the Osram's are a great bulb for me.

The bulbs that you chose were the Extreme Blue rather the Extreme Vision which would've gave a longer beam.

I've fitted Osram Nightbreakers and coupled with adjusting the headlight beam, which is very easy to do, they've been improved no end.

Projector style headlights do give a narrower more focussed beam compared to normal silver reflector headlights, which don't shine as far but do light up a bigger area immediately in front of the car.

There is a white grub screw on top of each headlight, it has a posidrive screwdriver fitment, which lowers the beam up or down. Just turn anticlockwise I think, to raise the beam and visa versa for lowering.

Make sure your car is parked on a level surface then shine the headlights against a wall or garage door and adjust the beam so they are level.

There's a separate post regarding this and I'm sure someone says the car needs to be 20 feet away from the wall and the beam should be approx 1mtr above the ground.

If you're not so sure then get a mechanic to do it for you so it can be checked and get some Extreme Vision or Nightbreakers rather than the whiter light ones, these alone will make a big difference.

• Like 1

I'm sure the Osrams mentioned in Sparkly's post are £14 on Amazon at the minute, was thinking of getting a spare pair for mine.

I've just got the normal Nightbreaker+ on mine which were about £18 so the Amazon price is a good deal.

• Like 2

I have this same issue... I was driving at night through Rodmell East Sussex and put my foot down to get up to the speed limit quickly. I was fortunate enough to switch to my high beams only to find a white van doing a 3 point turn on my side of the road just ahead of me. I'm almost certain I would have run straight into the side of him had I kept the low beams on as the distance they reach is just so short. I thought this was just the nature off dipped beams but it's good to hear others notice this problem too. I will see what my dealer can do and report back.

When I fitted my HID conversions I took the car to my local MOT Bay and they checked the level out for free and carried out the required adjustment. They where well out!

I did ask if it was due to the new bulbs and the guy said no. ... the bulbs are positioned exactly the same regardless of type as long as they are the correct H7 fitment. He said the levelling was incorrect from factory!

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 4

Edited by jonro2009
  • Like 1

Experienced the same with my vRS from new. I was going to try and adjust the range first, but as they were MOT spec (dealer checked) i replaced the bulbs instead with the Nightbreakers and found them to be a huge improvement. 

What were the lights like on the original bulbs?

Why change to blue - they might be brighter, but at their range in the spectrum they provide LESS light visible to the human eye!

There not actually Blue lights but give a blue xenon effect according to the description.

i have now reported it to the garage to sort when the vehicle goes back to them for the numerous other faults with the vehicle.