New rubber time!

Well after trying to find some replacement Falken Ziex 912's for my VRS i have found that these have been replaced by 914's which oddly have less favourable reviews and are working out £100 more than what i paid for my 4 X 912's in 2010.

So i have decided to try something else and after careful deliberation gone for Avon ZZ3's @ 54 Each + VAT.

Does anyone else have these fitted? I will post my findings as soon as i have had chance to do some spirited driving :bandit: . Although they have a V groove pattern which look good but from memory don't clear snow very well so might be a PITA come winter. One thing for sure they can't be as bad as the Conti's that came with my Blackline which are down to the wear indicator already after 10k steady miles 1 year of ownership. :swear: .

• Like 1

I still don't understand how people get through the Conti's so quickly.

My only assumption is that Diesel's are simply harder on tyres - any truth to this?

Because the Conti SC2's that came with my car - fronts lasted until 31k miles (still meat left).

Switched the 31k rears to the front and I'm now looking to replace them at just over 42k miles.

How can there be so much difference between the same tyre?

Anyway, can't help as my suggestion would have been the Conti SC5's - but as you've managed to get through SC2's in crazy time don't think that suggestion will interest.

I still don't understand how people get through the Conti's so quickly.

My only assumption is that Diesel's are simply harder on tyres - any truth to this?

Because the Conti SC2's that came with my car - fronts lasted until 31k miles (still meat left).

Switched the 31k rears to the front and I'm now looking to replace them at just over 42k miles.

How can there be so much difference between the same tyre?

Anyway, can't help as my suggestion would have been the Conti SC5's - but as you've managed to get through SC2's in crazy time don't think that suggestion will interest.

They have switched the fronts and backs for me at the dealers when i had service done. it was 6mm on the rears and 3 on the fronts. However the 6 will be down to three in no time. Its not the fact its diesel either as my TFSI had the same problem with Conti's. The Falkens on the other hand have lasted me since April 2010. Go Figure and they still have 3mm all round but i have a slow puncture on one so i thought i would get them all changed at the same time.

I had conti sc3 and got almost 20k out the fronts and thats a mix of town and country road driving and I wouldn't say I drive that slowly. The rears would have lasted a lot longer if it wasn't for the dreaded sawtooth issue. Have now got conti sc5 all round. They seem to be wearing even better. Rears still look brand new and fronts don't look that worn and have done about 10k miles.

Oh forgot to say my vrs is a tsi which is remapped and yes I do make use of the extra power a lot of the time. I would put it down to driving smoothly. Amazes me how often people brake for corners on country roads etc when they could simply ease of the accelerator in advance...save wear on brakes and tyres!

I'm torn between Falken 912's (my tyre local stockist has them) or Nexen N6000's for my wifes car. I had the Nexens on my old car and they certainly did the mileage (27k). Both about the same price any Opinions? 

Edited by paddypaws

I have Conti SC5 and have done about 17K miles and have another 1-2mm left. I will ditch them in a few weeks when i put on the winters, but they have served me very well.

Also people complained about stock Dunlop SP1 lasting 10-12K, and i did over 22K with them.

Must be the diesel eating these tires.

I'm torn between Falken 912's (my tyre local stockist has them) or Nexen N6000's for my wifes car. I had the Nexens on my old car and they certainly did the mileage (27k). Both about the same price any Opinions? 

Name for name, I would go with Nexen. A friend has the 8000 on his Audi, and very happy and quiet.

how bad r the roads there?!?!?!

my CS2 lasted 61,000 kms, with still a few mm of thread left.

i just replaced then with CS5s.

i don't drive like a saint either, specially being remapped for more than yr, and recently with stg 2+

I use Hankook tyres myself as I get a good deal due to the amount of Hankook tyres we buy for the trucks, I currently have V12 Evo's and find them excellent have 10k miles up on them already and there only about 50% gone. I had Pirelli PZero's and Goodyear Eagle F1s before and find the Hankook a better all rounder. They are as good as the above for grip but seem to be lasting longer as well.

I would stay away from Kumho's they came on 2 new vans we bought this year with the other 2 coming with Conti's 35k km is what we got on the Kumho's where the Continentals have still plenty of life left at that, looking at the tyres on the two vans you would think the Kumhos had twice the mileage on them not the same as the Conti's. Still find the Hankooks last way longer on the vans too as long as you track them regularly.

I have to admit to having been a Michelin Pilot fan for years - plus I can get good deals at Costco when they do their special offers. However, I bought the car used, and the Conti SC2s that were on it had about 3mm all round left when I changed out to Michelins last year just before winter....which was after about 18K miles of use. My previous car (Mondeo ST TDCI) wore out it's original COntis in about 17K miles, and would do the same to the Michelins......I'm now keen to see how the Micehlins go.......but I have to admit to having second thoughts now...and migth revert to Conties next time to see how they fare.....

No, I don't drive like a saint and I know the Octy isn't a mondeo in terms of weight.......but I'm intrigued so far at how the Octy is frugal with it's tyres!

I love reading tyre threads

You get such a diverse opinion of personal experiences with different makes of tyre

I normally end up more confused than I was when it started :(

I know i thought it was universally accepted that the VRS don't like Conti's yet few people above singing their praises. Makes me think i have abused them in some way.

You get such a diverse opinion of personal experiences with different makes of tyre

I agree and actually wonder why people bother asking as it really is all about personal taste TBH.

• Like 1

Looking at the "Car" details under each user - there does seem to be a lot of petrol owners who get on well with the Conti's (they last a long time) and those that don't seem to own a diesel.

So, heavier lump, reducing the life of tyres?

Potentially another ongoing cost forgotten when calculating if diesel is the choice for you?

Well after trying to find some replacement Falken Ziex 912's for my VRS i have found that these have been replaced by 914's which oddly have less favourable reviews and are working out £100 more than what i paid for my 4 X 912's in 2010.

So i have decided to try something else and after careful deliberation gone for Avon ZZ3's @ 54 Each + VAT.

Does anyone else have these fitted? I will post my findings as soon as i have had chance to do some spirited driving :bandit: . Although they have a V groove pattern which look good but from memory don't clear snow very well so might be a PITA come winter. One thing for sure they can't be as bad as the Conti's that came with my Blackline which are down to the wear indicator already after 10k steady miles 1 year of ownership. :swear: .

Where did you find them at that price? Had a set of these a few years ago on another car so could be a good choice at that price!

We have our own Mechanics at my work that service fork lifts side loaders and the Company cars they have priced them up for me from which ever Tyre wholesalers they currently use. I think it was a weekly special so luck of the draw. That is plus VAT by the way but still a good price i think. Obviously ill get them fitted and balanced for free at work. I remember having Avons on an old cliosport and being pretty impressed.

We have our own Mechanics at my work that service fork lifts side loaders and the Company cars they have priced them up for me from which ever Tyre wholesalers they currently use. I think it was a weekly special so luck of the draw. That is plus VAT by the way but still a good price i think. Obviously ill get them fitted and balanced for free at work. I remember having Avons on an old cliosport and being pretty impressed.

I see! I am looking for a set at the moment as my Contis are nearly on wear indicators. Want something mid range but that will last a while unlike Kumho's that I had on my fabia last year that lasted 7K miles doing 70mile motorway journey on daily basis.

I've just gone for Goodyear efficient grip performance. Only done about 3k on them so can't really comment on wear, but they are noticabily quieter than previous SC2 and I'm getting about 30 extra miles out of the tank for the same performance. However when pushed to the limit cornering they don't feel as good as the contis. Somehow feel softer and gives less feedback.

I've got newish Vredesteins on the back and newer Lassa's on the front - so far am pleased with all.

Worked out about £75 per tyre fully fitted, balanced etc.

Reasonably quiet and no handling problems. No idea how long they will last of course!!

Thank god it's not just me that ends up more confused then!

I know I don't do a massive mileage, but I'll soon be the only Blackline owner around here still running the original tyres at this rate. I'll have to get my little measuring stick out to them tomorrow, but they don't look too bad (that said they've only done 7k). 

Thank god it's not just me that ends up more confused then!

I know I don't do a massive mileage, but I'll soon be the only Blackline owner around here still running the original tyres at this rate. I'll have to get my little measuring stick out to them tomorrow, but they don't look too bad (that said they've only done 7k). 

I bet you only have 4mm on the fronts.