VRS Blackline to Citigo

I am currently spending all my time in traffic on the motorway doing 50 mph 26 miles each way. I was thinking i could do this in a citigo and save myself £220 a month pcp and someone could get some use out of my wasted VRS Blackline.I have done 12000 miles this year. What are peoples thoughts am i crazy?

Citygo's are beyond rubbish on the motorway!

I had a citygo for a day as a hire car and used at least £20+ in fuel. All we did was swindon to chippenham twice, rush hour driving in swindon and the misses driving the few miles to work. 

On the motorway I could actually see the fuel gage dropping and that was at about 70 which it made a right meal of to get to. I hadnt go there come the end of the slip road. 

You'll regret it for sure, why not down grade to a fabia or even a rapid?

Citygo's are beyond rubbish on the motorway!

I had a citygo for a day as a hire car and used at least £20+ in fuel. All we did was swindon to chippenham twice, rush hour driving in swindon and the misses driving the few miles to work. 

On the motorway I could actually see the fuel gage dropping and that was at about 70 which it made a right meal of to get to. I hadnt go there come the end of the slip road. 

You'll regret it for sure, why not down grade to a fabia or even a rapid?

The CitiGo is certainly not rubbish on the motorway

Our 75 Elegance went from Harrogate to South London and back on less than a Tank of fuel, ( about 3/4 ) it was only 3 days old and drove fine at 70/75 mpg

I'm thinking of getting rid of my Octavia FL Vrs for a citigo, the wife's Fabia MKII Vrs was swopped for one

The End

• Like 3

You are both right of course,but was just thinking what a waste a car sitting here in traffic..... with just me in it.

Actually they are both wrong

I regularly take mine down the motorway and its great

We currently have 50mph speed limits in place on our stretch of the M1, which makes my MPG high 60's - early 70's

On the 70mph stretch it goes down to low 60's

Surprisingly good little cruiser IMO

I suggest you try for yourself, and don't listen to anyone else, as that is just their own opinion

So, in answer to your own question...No your not crazy :)

Cheers

Damo

• Like 2

See if you can have a test drive of one, to see if you like it.

Also consider when you have longer journeys if the car will do what you want it to do, If you do a few then it could be an idea to keep the Fabia for those longer journeys.

Actually they are both wrong

I regularly take mine down the motorway and its great

We currently have 50mph speed limits in place on our stretch of the M1, which makes my MPG high 60's - early 70's

On the 70mph stretch it goes down to low 60's

Surprisingly good little cruiser IMO

I suggest you try for yourself, and don't listen to anyone else, as that is just their own opinion

So, in answer to your own question...No your not crazy :)

Cheers

Damo

if thats the case the one i drove must have been ****ed.

• Like 1

your contemplating such a big change I would suggest you have a real long test drive in similar conditions to see if it will do all you want or your happy with the differences/any compromises you may have to make. As above will this be the only trip you are likely to make in it and if not will it do the other trips you intend using it for too with relative ease.

Having driven some horrid hire cars - a gutless vauxhall 1.4 astra was the worst which left me knackered at the end of the trip I would make sure the citygo will be able to do your trip in reasonable comfort and not leave you tired at the end  (I'm not suggesting it will, just to make sure it doesn't).

If your happy with it then that's your choice to make. Good luck :thumbup:

I changed my Octavia tdi for a Citigo Sport. I don't regret it at all. Better on fuel than my Octy was. I did a week of motorway driving with it and it's more than comfortable sitting at 70 mph giving me 60+ mpg :)

What you need to remember is that it only has a 35 litre fuel tank so thinking it's using lots of fuel when actually it isn't. Even when I'm giving it a good "brisk" drive it's still giving me 55 mpg at its worst.

Test drive one and see what YOU think about it. Small on the outside but very roomy on the inside :)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk.

The other thing to consider is safety not sure what safety rating the CityGo is but there isn't much metal round you, if you are going to be spending a lot of miles cruising in it.

Looks like it gets a good result in the current test - can't compare it against the Octavia II as they have changed the test system between. The Octavia III gets a very good result.

• Administrators

I swapped my superb for one.

I'm not doing long trips, or commuting much. So maybe 1 tank of fuel a month or 2. No point having a elengace 170 4x4 for nipping to the shops or out climbing, nice as it was.

The citigo is such a radical change, it's like being on holiday. Yes the first few hills I was a bit deflated... I'd be doing ## by now, instead of 50, but I saw things I've not seen before.

It's not a world on fire passion flaming car, it's a functional car and it's dinky. I parked 'close' to my wifes car and she was laughing so hard, I was like 3' away... still adjusting.

You'll either love it, adapt or hate it. I've not taken it on a long m-way run yet, I expect the wideboyz in the outside lane will be doing the thing I used to do. I'll join in from time to time if only to be the annoying one now ;)

re safety, I thought it was €ncaped at ***** > http://www.euroncap.com/results/skoda/citigo.aspx 89% of me would be ok :p 93% in octavia, whats 4% between the legs.  :sweat:

• Like 1

Just gave a CitiGo curtesy car back yesterday after 24 hours. I was very impressed with how nice it was for a little car, and if I lived in a city or did very few miles I would most definitely buy one. I do a 60 mile round trip with fair bit of traffic on the way back, so the question I would ask myself: As much as I liked it, would I want to spend 1.5 to 2 hours of my life in one each day? The answer would be NO! 

I would say each to their own. Take it on long test drive...

The two can't really be compared as they were designed for two separate purposes.

Is your Blackline a wast after 12,000 miles in a year? Mine has only just done 7k but almost 4k of those were at the hands of the wife before I got her a Citroen C1 (she tried that Citigo/Mii after I insisted and hated it). 12k is about the national average.

Most of my journeys are short town journeys commuting to work - and for that I use a 125cc twist & go scooter because I can park. The wife has a 9 mile journey each way which is almost exclusively town use and so the C1 is perfect for her. The Octy gets used for everything else - including the weekly shop. 

Would I contemplate selling the Octy (it is arguably surplus to requirements)? Absolutely not - the wife's car is better suited for town but one trip along the bypass shows which vehicle is better suited to life on a faster road (that's not to say the C1 cannot do it or is uncomfortable). Would we sell the C1 if the wife had to travel further distances out of town? Probably.

The fact that we have the Octy shows which vehicle would I rather spend my time in whilst stuck in slow moving traffic. 

As it's been said, try an extended test drive in a Citigo and see how you honestly feel about living with it on a daily basis. It works for some, and not for others.

• Like 1

I had a Toyota Aygo for the day today it was not a patch on the Citigo I had a go in recently...it felt and sounded like it was made of tin foil, ridiculously over geared...80 in third !

Wouldn't swap either for my Octavia estate tho'.

I just changed my Octavia vrs as I don't a great deal of mileage now,so was looking at the citigo and even though I loved the test drive and most of the time it just be local trips,I thought would I like to drive from south Wales all the way up to northern Ireland it and having the power to overtake safely and what it be like around the south Wales valley's,especially up past the keepers from govilon to blaenavon. I went for a seat Leon sc fr 1.4tsi could have gone for the Ibiza but getting dated now. I had a fabia before and the new Octavia wasn't floating my boat. I did really enjoy the citigo but just didn't tick all the boxes and the missus did say boot was small,so she complained about the shopping not fitting (or my body if I brought it)

I find with my Citigo Sport there is a nice little power band I use for safe overtaking and it works but I have to think longer first whereas I didn't have to in my Octy tdi. Still pulls nicely though for a 60ps engine :)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk.

I think the Citigo is a great car and was contemplating changing the wife's corsa for one but the deciding factor was the size of the boot. I couldn't imagine going from the size of the boot on my octavia vrs to the one on a Citigo.