Winter tyres. Vredestein vs nokian

Fergster

About to go into my 5th winter on Vredesteins. Have the Extremes on my Grand Vitara. Superb last year in ice and snow and not too shabby in the wet either. I have had the Snowtrac 2s as well and they were also great in bad weather, although the Extremes seem to have it all, if you see what I mean :)

• Like 1

2.5 C degrees up here this morning. I already have the nokians fitted and made use of the heated screen and seat.

Beautiful day now at 12 C degrees so I had the sunroof open on the way home from work  :rock:

• Like 1

Work sucks!!! Lol. Is Yosemite park open again? I had read that the park was still closed.

We are debating a wee yeti adventure next weekend around Skye and the west coast, that is if the ferry company's have any decent offers going :-)

No its not open as yet, but apparently we're outside of the park to start with (mammoth mountain/lakes) so if it doesn't reopen we will stay in that area instead.

Skye is having glorious weather this weekend but I don't know if it will last. I wont be here so I wont see you if you do come up....enjoy!

Another vote for the Vreds. Used them last winter on OE alloys - tend to swap beginning of Nov end March. Nice and stable very slight slowing in turn in grip in all conditions remarkable. Not used Nokians so can't comment

I've got Vreds, went up a place called Hard Knott pass just after a fresh fall of snow last year - I was well impressed. Lived in Germany when I was younger for 13 years and never bothered with Winter tyres, boy they would've made a difference!

And with the weather forecasters saying that we're going to have the worst November for decades I think my Winters will definitely be going on before the end of the month for my trip to show my Grandson the Blackpool Illuminations. : )

And with the weather forecasters saying that we're going to have the worst November for decades I think my Winters will definitely be going on before the end of the month for my trip to show my Grandson the Blackpool Illuminations. : )

No they aren't saying that!

It was the idiotic Daily Express that made it!!

Met Office this evening:

UK Outlook for Monday 28 Oct 2013 to Monday 11 Nov 2013:

The unsettled weather expected by late October is considered more likely than not to persist through the rest of the month onwards into the first week of November, leading to slightly above average rainfall amounts for some regions. Temperatures during this period may well remain close to or a little above average throughout, especially in the south, leading to a lower risk of frost here than can usually be expected at this time of year. There are some indications that the second week of November may see drier than average conditions across some parts of the country with temperatures probably returning to average.

Updated: 1250 on Sun 13 Oct 2013

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_weather.html

G, you had to spoil it! You couldn't even let me believe we'll have some weather where I can really see what the Yeti can do - I was really getting excited about all the snow and now all I have to look forward to is more rain!!

GUTTED!

• Like 2

Picked the winter alloys up from CAS yesterday. They've done a great job: under £70 for all 4 is a total bargain, especially considering the mess they were in when I dropped them off. Now I just need to go and bribe the local tyre fitter...

If you do get wheels coated, remember to clean out the bolt seats otherwise they can undo themselves. Alloys should always be re-torqued after 30 miles or so.

1378239_10151632653741891_1875879693_n.j

Edited by dcl5ad
  • Like 1

I've been watching this closely as I have a brand new set of Spectrum alloys winging their way from Austria to the IOW and am undecided on the tyre choice with the Continental conti winter contacts in the running with the Nokians and theVred's

To be honest I don't think it will make much difference which make you get.

We have had Yokohamas on our 4wd Mazda Bongo and have never got stuck, Dunlops on the 4wd Yeti and now have some Vredensteins to go onto our 4Motion California.

The difference in snow between ordinary "summer" tyres and "winter" tyres is so big that unless you test all the makes side by side in the same conditions on the same vehicle it's impossible to say one is better than the other. Hence everyone that has winter tyres usually says they are more than happy with whatever make they have. I'd just go for the best deal.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well I will find out how Snowy copes in the snow today. We have a covering of it here and its still falling albeit not very heavy at the moment. Pretty icy as well.

Nokian winter boots and sensible driving should do the trick hopefully.

• Like 2