RNS-510 columbus restart or reboot repeatedly !

Hi

My RNS-510 columbus today has started to go through a reboot/restart repeatedly - so it switches on to the splash screen and pauses for about 10 seconds and switches off and then it will cycle through again and again.

I've done some searching -

I've tried a SWL  fix, not sure that if I've done it properly though - 

I've tried disconnecting the battery, nothing - 

I'm now downloading a firmware update to try also - but its still downloading.

If anyone has fixed this themselves then please let me know how you did it???

Only had the car 6 weeks!!!

Oh its a 2009 Skoda Superb 170 Elegance DSG steel grey

Apart from this - its a great car - hopefully I'll get it sorted and wont cost the earth.

thanks for anyone who can help

Mark

• Like 1

A colleague from national forum has to replace motherboard having similar sympthoms - needless to say it costed him a fortune.

If no software solution helps, I would as a second step do some "manual therapy" over the internals: securing connectors etc. Oh, prior to dismantling I would first do some reconnection of external connector(s). Good luck!

Edited by ste2000

Posted last year:

I recently had the dreaded constant reboot problem with my Columbus, the one where the software fails to load properly and just goes into an endless cycle of re-booting. Most commentators on this site will say that points to a duff HDD and they might be right. However, I've got it working again, at least for now.

My Columbus is a 2009 H11 unit, originally with 1164 firmware and V3 (I think) maps. I first upgraded to V8 maps, but couldn't, of course, get 7-digit postcode functionality. Baffled and dismayed by the reams of conflicting advice about upgrading the firmware in steps, I decided simply to take the plunge and upgrade to 4024 with a disc I acquired from... somewhere.

It worked.

I now have fully functioning 4024 firmware with 7-digit postcodes, maps, POIs and music and have recently upgraded to V9 maps (which definitely DOES have more recent mapping than V8).

Now, when the above fault appeared, I first tried SWL_FIX, again widely available from all good stores via Google. The unit accepted this and completed its actions but this did NOT fix the problem. My next step was to re-install the 4024 firmware.

This DID fix the problem.

Lesson 1: by all means fear the worst, but don't re-mortgage your house to get a new Columbus until you have tried a few options.
Lesson 2: seek and ye shall find. 

• Like 1

Thanks

I did try the soft boot to no acail!!

I tried the SWL download and with some fancy finger work and patience I arrived at a splash screen asking for a SWL boot dvd, so assumed the download might not have worked fully.

Now I'm tying the firmware I think it's 4020 from GTi site, took all night and some to download.

Well it's managed to get me a little further and now I have

'Software Download - Source activated - searching for SWL image'

Not sure how long to leave it in this screen before a retry??????

Oooops looks like it was probably working, interrupted it and switched on to see skoda screen with software loading and a progression bar.

So just done the reset and I'll leave it for longer now.

Anyone know what the battery longevity is like ????

Thanks again

Don`t know what that means but I do know that the last time I tried to update my firmware to 4020 it failed on both occasions. So maybe me starting the engine mid way through had something to do with it failing.

Well it hasn't worked yet.

I'm going to try another copy this time with Nero seeing how that's been mentioned a lot.

Im pleased to have seen a screen saying loading software and it then seems to fail at the point of searching for the main software SWL whatever that stands for??

Thanks for that link I'll give that a go myself and hopefully it'll be third time lucky.

As for the maps Google should help. I don't think posting links on here is allowed

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Having the dreaded re-boot too!

I have downloaded the 3810a firmware as instructed via the vwwatercooler forum. I just cant get the unit to stay on?

Once the car is unlocked, I switch on the unit. Upon holding down the 'eject, 'i' and setup buttons i manage to get to the SWL screen. I then insert the disc and within seconds it all seems to power down and start rebooting??

My question really is wether i am folowing the correct sequence? Or, if the disc image is right. I am simple burning the .iso that's downloded from the relevant site to a disc (slowly) - is this correct?

also, I am using a Mac - would this have a potential effect.

Running out of ideas (and a little patience :) )

It's just a little frustrating. thanks of listening to my verbal - onwards and upwards.

Cheers

G

When you saying burning are you creating a disc from the iso image? Free software like imgburn gives you this option. Simply copying the iso file to disc won't work.

Adam

Hi Adamal,

Thanks for your reply. 

I see.

Yes, I was literally throwing the iso onto a disc. This makes sense now. I'm assuming that imgburn is a PC application. I believe I can use DiskUtility on my Mac from some of the many other posts I have read before. (thought that was the same as simply burning the file to disc.) I'll check the requirements and let you know how I get on.

Thanks again.

Graham

Cheers.

Managed to burn the iso to disc as a 'disc image' using Disc Utility.

I'll get it into the car soon.

As I understand, version 3810 of the firmwares will erase all music and maps data. I have a maps v3 disc. this should still be ok to load back onto the unit once it's 'fixed' - correct? Not ideal i know but it's all i have to work with :)

OK, will confrim success or failure shortly.

Cheers

It will probably load but you you won't yet get 7 digit postcode searching unless you get v7 or above, and you need v7.2 or above to access points of of interest with the newer firmware.

Cheers KBPhoto.

All done! The burn to disc was successful and the update took first time. I'm a happy chappy.

Thanks very much for all your assistance/advice/encouragement!

If there's anyone in the west yorkshire area who needs help or to use the disc i have with firmware version 3810 please feel free to give me a nudge and i'd be happy to help!

Right, next job, get my music back on and the maps. If there's anyone who would like to lend me a more up to date maps disc (currently on v3) I would gladly reward them.

Many thanks

Graham

• Like 1