Running in..

dinger19

Hi,I've been following the forums for a few weeks and picked up some good tips (thanks) while I've been waiting for my CitiGo to arrive well yesterday it did,so I am one happy owner however whats confusing me is the running in of the engine as my dealer says dont bother as there all bench tested and just drive it normally then when browsing the manual it says you do and for about 1K miles.

Currently driven 120 miles not labouring the engine with plenty of gear changes,but finding it a struggle to keep below 3k revs.

Any advise would be great thanks.

ours was one of the original press cars and was first taxed for the road 6 months into its life with 1,100 miles on, so I assume those first 1,100 miles were on tracks ! lol... its been perfect, 7,000 miles now and NO issues :)

esit: I always drive mine "normally" from new, thats my opinion ;)

Well, i ran my in by the book, not reving it above 4250 rpm, that was really not a problem because I was extremly focosed on the gearchanger indicator....dont do that, IMO :-)

Now my Citigo is just above 1000 km, and I can rev it a bit more, and Im doing that, and discovered that its a hell of a lot more fun :-)

Love my Skoda .....:-)

• Like 1

done 300 miles in our first week :)

driven it pretty normally but not going over 4k revs ( well only a couple of times )

checked the oil cold this morning, on the max, will read the book and see the "correct skoda method" later to see if it is like the fabia vrs where its checked warm after standing for several minutes

what a diddy engine :)

Edited by bluecar1
  • Like 1

As the guide said nice and easy. Not over 4K revs. Also I did not keep the engine at one speed/load for long periods.

Drove it pretty much the same it gets driven every time it goes out, sensibly!

It is only a little engine, which can freely rev, just drive it with some mechanical awareness and let everything warm up each trip before revving that bit more if needed :)

Over rev any cold/new engine and excessive wear will take place and cause you problems in the future.

me and swmbo driven hers pretty much the same as my GLII

surprised at how quick it warms up which seems to give it a slight edge over the GLII on her short (9 mile each way) work run

Mines an ex demo with 640 miles on the clock. I'm just driving it normal Upto about 4k rpm. I'm not going to granny it around. I found with my Octy tdi if I crawl around it used oil but driven Upto 4K rpm it was fine and gave me great mpg :)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting thread. Most new cars i've had suggest using all the gears as much as possible and just don't rev the engine too high when cold. I'd imagine all dealer demonstrators are just driven 'normally' - i.e. 30mph in top gear with customers and 90moh at max revs when a salesman borrows one for the weekend!

As others have said, just a bit of mechanical sympathy sympathy is required for most cars during the running-in period.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondered how all you fellow Citigo owners have treated them during the run in period, have you stuck by the book or just drove it like you would normally drive?

Maybe it's best to drive them as you intend to for as long as you own the vehicle, without babying them.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk now Free