Kids inheritance spent

7029bob

Another of the SKI generation!

Told our 3 we are going to do the same.

It's always a good idea to manage down their expectations, that way they won't feel (too) disappointed when they realise that they're not going to be driving a Porsche as soon as we're 6 feet under (or rather have gone up in smoke)  :giggle:

I must say that our three are remarkably sensible in that way.

Following an inheritance we are "comfortable" and have told them all that we have enough to give them all a good deposit on a house each, but that after that the Bank of Mum and Dad is closing down and the owners have decided they are going to enjoy themselves, so holidays and a new car will be bought. All three of them gave the same basic response; "Carry on, it's time for you to enjoy yourselves".

Now all I've got to do is work for another 5 years!!!

And at the moment the car will be a new Yeti!!

• Like 1

Following an inheritance we are "comfortable" and have told them all that we have enough to give them all a good deposit on a house each, but that after that the Bank of Mum and Dad is closing down and the owners have decided they are going to enjoy themselves, so holidays and a new car will be bought. All three of them gave the same basic response; "Carry on, it's time for you to enjoy yourselves".

Now all I've got to do is work for another 5 years!!!  :o

And at the moment the car will be a new yeti outdoor

A minor correction  :clap:  :thumbup:

• Like 1

Good discount on the pre reg. Which sales person did you see? We dealt with Maz. Should have used one of my recommend a friend vouchers, I could have gotten £100 then!! ;)

• Like 1

Good discount on the pre reg. Which sales person did you see? We dealt with Maz. Should have used one of my recommend a friend vouchers, I could have gotten £100 then!! ;)

We dealt with Cheryl who I found very helpful, when I pick up Monday I will definitely mention this and if there is anthing going begging we will split it but don't hold your breath.

Good photos hope you enjoy your Adventure.

If this is their normal buiseness practise wish I had found them earlier.

After quite a bit of searching  I found there was very little discount to be had on any Adventure model so quite pleased with the price and spec I've managed to obtain. :happy:

• Like 1

Now all I've got to do is work for another 5 years!!!

And at the moment the car will be a new Yeti!!

Graham

I've no doubt you are as proud of your kids achievements  as I am of mine ,and rightly so ,we actually have  taken great pleasure in helping them out over the years and they now are actually showing signs of appreciation Hallelujah !

But 3 of them this shows the difference between Bobbies and footplate men ,I was never home long enough to sire three :rofl:

• Like 1

We dealt with Cheryl who I found very helpful, when I pick up Monday I will definitely mention this and if there is anthing going begging we will split it but don't hold your breath.

Good photos hope you enjoy your Adventure.

If this is their normal buiseness practise wish I had found them earlier.

After quite a bit of searching  I found there was very little discount to be had on any Adventure model so quite pleased with the price and spec I've managed to obtain. :happy:

Excellent. The discounts on Adventure models wasnt very forthcoming, but then you are getting SE Plus spec + more for SE money. £4k off is great, just remember if its a pre reg that you wont get new car replacement cover with your insurance, so GAP via  3rd party might be worthwhile. :)

Still considering the GAP cover ,I was offered it at the time of purchase for £399 for 3 years cover told Cheryl I'd give her a answer at the time of pick up. :think:

It's always a good idea to manage down their expectations, that way they won't feel (too) disappointed when they realise that they're not going to be driving a Porsche as soon as we're 6 feet under (or rather have gone up in smoke)  :giggle:

I wonder if adult children should present their parents with a bill representing the parents' share of the national debt - mostly incurred in the parents generation of course ;)

Delighted to have been able to help our two children (going back to the topic title) - we were lucky over the years with rising house prices and entirely free university education (including maintenance grants).  The pleasure of seeing our children living in nice houses that they couldn't otherwise have afforded to buy is far greater than the temporary pleasure of a new car every couple of years, or endless cruises.  No regrets there at all.

Still nice to have a new car every few years - just a question of balance. 

• Like 3

Well my sons got more money than I will ever have, so a new car last December and no doubt another will follow when I get enough miles on the Yeti to justify. Might consider replacing the Octi. though when I am sure any new model teething troubles are ironed out (if any) Will probably go for a 4 wheel estate and hang onto the Yeti for town run arounds.

b

Nah, thats horrendously expensive. You would be able to get it for around £100 elsewhere.

Tend to agree with you,I'll probably give it a miss not a great fan of extra insurance.

As a follow up to my Yeti purchase, my local dealer has just rung me to see if I still had any interest in their Adventuer or a new SE he has in stock ,he implied there was room for movement on the price.

Pity he could not have stated that yesterday as they are not a bad bunch to deal with always given me good value for servicing and repairs and I shall continue to use them.

But still very happy with the deal I got, which in my eyes would take some beating. :happy:

Delighted to have been able to help our two children (going back to the topic title) - we were lucky over the years with rising house prices and entirely free university education (including maintenance grants).  The pleasure of seeing our children living in nice houses that they couldn't otherwise have afforded to buy is far greater than the temporary pleasure of a new car every couple of years, or endless cruises.  No regrets there at all.

Still nice to have a new car every few years - just a question of balance. 

Good for you.The kids didnt ask us to be brought to this world.It is not easy for young people to make ends meet in this day and age,let alone buying a roof.Thats why we should help them as much as we can.

• Like 1

Good for you.The kids didnt ask us to be brought to this world.It is not easy for young people to make ends meet in this day and age,let alone buying a roof.Thats why we should help them as much as we can.

Thanks for that - I just find posts from people boasting about 'spending the kids' inheritance' a bit irksome.  Met it on holiday, too - people boasting about spending all their money to stop their children getting their hands on it, whilst those same children are struggling to raise the deposit on a house!  I know people in this area who've frittered away upwards of 50k on cars, holidays etc whilst their children are struggling to make ends meet.

OK - it's their money, to do with as they please, but it does seem a bit hard on the children to me.  I suppose it all depends on your priorities.  I don't see it as particularly altruistic - there's a great deal of personal pleasure in seeing your children (and grandchildren) happy and settled.  IHT benefits too!

• Like 3

I thought the topic title was a tongue in cheek way of just saying he brought a new car. Nothing to be irked at.

Im choosing not to have kids personally, as im too selfish and like spending money on myself and my wife! ;) Cars, holidays and enjoying my life is more important than passing a "legacy" on. Not to mention the state of this horrible world we live in, which will be even worse when kids of today grow up.

But thats even more O/T...........maybe one for another thread.

• Like 2

I thought the topic title was a tongue in cheek way of just saying he brought a new car. Nothing to be irked at.

Im choosing not to have kids personally, as im too selfish and like spending money on myself and my wife! ;) Cars, holidays and enjoying my life is more important than passing a "legacy" on. Not to mention the state of this horrible world we live in, which will be even worse when kids of today grow up.

But thats even more O/T...........maybe one for another thread.

A very fair point - and I wasn't aiming this at the OP.  My apologies for its looking that way!  I had in mind really posts I see frequently elsewhere on other (lesser!) forums where people seem to love the idea of doing their children out of money or help.  I'm sure Skoda Yeti owners don't think that way!

people boasting about spending all their money to stop their children getting their hands on it, whilst those same children are struggling to raise the deposit on a house!  I know people in this area who've frittered away upwards of 50k on cars, holidays etc whilst their children are struggling to make ends meet.

Times we live, world we create huh? Here fits Cicero's saying I guess... "O tempora!  O mores!" 

• Like 1

Thanks for that - I just find posts from people boasting about 'spending the kids' inheritance' a bit irksome.  Met it on holiday, too - people boasting about spending all their money to stop their children getting their hands on it, whilst those same children are struggling to raise the deposit on a house!  I know people in this area who've frittered away upwards of 50k on cars, holidays etc whilst their children are struggling to make ends meet.

OK - it's their money, to do with as they please, but it does seem a bit hard on the children to me.  I suppose it all depends on your priorities.  I don't see it as particularly altruistic - there's a great deal of personal pleasure in seeing your children (and grandchildren) happy and settled.  IHT benefits too!

I can't believe anyone would take my header seriously if you had taken the time to read all my additions to this post surely you can see this was all said tongue in cheek and I think 99.9% of members see this.

Unless of course you are another wind up merchant.

Just to make this absolutley clear both my lads have good jobs and have been helped through life financially and have not wanted for guidance or love in any respect also we are very proud of them.

They will no doubt be ok when my wife and I pop our clogs.

Yes you have put my back up. :wall:

• Like 1

I can't believe anyone would take my header seriously if you had taken the time to read all my additions to this post surely you can see this was all said tongue in cheek and I think 99.9% of members see this.

Unless of course you are another wind up merchant.

Just to make this absolutley clear both my lads have good jobs and have been helped through life financially and have not wanted for guidance or love in any respect also we are very proud of them.

They will no doubt be ok when my wife and I pop our clogs.

Yes you have put my back up. :wall:

Please see my post 22 above - my comments, which were very general and non-specific, were certainly not aimed at you, or indeed anyone in this forum.  They are, however, appropriate to a certain mentality which seems to have become popular over recent years, and it's creating considerable intergenerational friction.