Sound actuator.....opinions.

Unfortunately with the VRS you are short changed with "the vibrating thing" but the concept is the same. Just the more you pay the more advanced the tech becomes and how the sound is generated. As for insulation I like the idea of stripped out WRC cars but I don't think the family would appreciate it. Choice is key, you could argue why be able to switch driving modes, it's all about finding a balance. From doing the school run to having a Sunday drive out on the backroads and releasing your inner child. Then back to work Monday slogging down the M6.

I don't mind the the sound part (since you can "tune" the level from the mode selection), it's the adding the vibrations to your car part that I personally don't like. That really wasn't necessary, I'd say.

Edited by TudorM

sound1

sa?nd/

noun

noun: sound;?noun: musical sound;?plural noun: musical sounds

1. 1.

vibrations that travel through the air or another medium and can be heard when they reach a person's or animal's ear.

Vibration/ Sound - it's all the same thing! Just going on the dictionary definition. Sound is vibration!

I don't mind the the sound part (since you can "tune" the level from the mode selection), it's the adding the vibrations to your car part that I personally don't like. That really wasn't necessary, I'd say.

Mine doesn't cause the car to vibrate.... maybe yours is faulty.....

It vibrates in order to create the sound. Look at the definition someone so kindly posted on the previous page. :)

Obviously it won't cause the entire car to shake. :P

Im not sure what you mean either, the sound changes and you like the sound just not the vibrations?

As i havent seen any responses from TSI Vrs owners.... - the sound thingy is really quite loud in 'sport' mode as there is very little engine noise. It is great fun and does make you smile but can get a bit tiresome if you want to listen to a conversation, etc. I suppose the interesting part is that passersby cant hear it, so the car just sounds like a normal car....

It is a sound, but it is created by passing vibrations through the bulkhead and windscreen - it does sound like it is coming from the engine - it certianly has nothing to do with the car speakers.

In 'normal' it is perfect, a slight bit of noise to make you happy, but not loud enough to be annoying or make you have to turn up the stereo.

I suppose that as lots of premium cars are using this type of tech, it must be the only way to get the 'sportscar' noise without the 'sportscar' fuel / tax bill or pi***ng off the neighbours everytime you leave home (my neighbour has an old skyline with a huge exhaust which shakes the whole street....)

• 3 months later...

I test drove the TDI vRS the other day, and commented during the test drive on how good it sounded. I didn't realise at the time it had an actuator... The dealer, in the car at the time, didn't mention it - presume he didn't know either!

Here is a vid of the sound of my Audi SQ5 - also a TDI (3L bi-turbo V6) and with sound actuator - difference is it has 2, one inside each back box, so you really hear it outside and in!

When I first was told about the concept by the Audi salesman (5 mins prior to when I test drove an A6 with the same engine/tech as the SQ5 was not released yet) my immediate thought was 'Oh no, its gonna sound fake and annoy me because I know its not really a growing V8'. But then I drove it and you forgot instantly and as other posts above, it just adds to the grin on your face.

So for TDI engines I think actuators are a great idea it really take away from the tractor sound stigma that they have, however for petrol, I'll be honest, I still think just hearing the real thing is fine (be it a thrashed 4 pot or a lazy V8), although it is noted that economy and naturally loud exhausts are somewhat mutually exclusive and hence the reason many manufacturers are adding sound enhancements, be they via bulkhead, exhaust or indeed the sound systems pumping in sound (such as the BMW M5).

Edited by josedebardi

Hated it and unplugged it, the car feels so much better now, nice, smooth and rapid. Nothing can replace the real noise of a good engine/ exhaust combo and actually without it plugged in the engine note is not that bad.

BMW's have a piece of hardware that sits in tje boot and is connected to the ICE system, it effectively relays real engine and wastegate noise into the car via the stereo system; essentially recorded sound but uses a data feed from the ECU to match all the variables to make it realistic.

It sounds like an awful thing but in an M135i in Sport + at full chat it sounds absolutely amazing and not fake in any way; you'd never tell the sound was coming from the speakers unless you stuck your head next to them whilst driving.

BMW's have a piece of hardware that sits in tje boot and is connected to the ICE system, it effectively relays real engine and wastegate noise into the car via the stereo system; essentially recorded sound but uses a data feed from the ECU to match all the variables to make it realistic.

It sounds like an awful thing but in an M135i in Sport + at full chat it sounds absolutely amazing and not fake in any way; you'd never tell the sound was coming from the speakers unless you stuck your head next to them whilst driving.

I had a 135i M Sport DCT Convertible (so the previous gen chassis to the current 135iM Hatch you mention but the same N55 engine).

The exhaust was not artificially enhanced at all, and still sounded INSANE! This is where I don't really understand the point of the technology, so you put a straight 6 turbo that sounds absolutely sweet from low end rumble to high end scream @ 7k rpm and then feel the need to tweak it afterwards?

For me sound actuators are to make performance diesels sound better (and like the sports vehicle it behaves as), anything else doesn't make sense.

I've driven a new VRS TSi DSG Hatch for 2k now and have enjoyed every mile.

It is clearly a great car, an I think Skoda have pitched the sound perfectly. It lurks in the background growling, eagerly reminding the driver that driving is fun.

Sound is an essential part of motoring, and is obviously linked with acceleration. So, Skoda have chosen wisely to include this on the VRS which looks great, performs great and sounds great. All in my personal opinion of course.

:yes:

First up I don't have a vRS so haven't heard it. Car on order is 1.4 Tsi, no sport mode available I think!

But just intuitively, there seems something rather perverse about a gadget that exists simply to give you a fake experience. That "sporty engines" should sound a certain way, this engine does not, so let's pop in a sound generator. It just seems so phoney and crass. The engine sounds how it does. If you want an engine to sound that way, get a V6 or whatever. Am I in the minority here?  :think:

Edited by treendale

First up I don't have a vRS so haven't heard it. Car on order is 1.4 Tsi, no sport mode available I think!

But just intuitively, there seems something rather perverse about a gadget that exists simply to give you a fake experience. That "sporty engines" should sound a certain way, this engine does not, so let's pop in a sound generator. It just seems so phoney and crass. The engine sounds how it does. If you want an engine to sound that way, get a V6 or whatever. Am I in the minority here? 

I agree. Nothing beats the real thing.

Edited by Stumpage

Then please never watch a movie or tv show again - as every sound from footstep to gun shot is "fake"! 

I'm on the middle ground, but it's clear that emissons regs have fundamentally changed the way cars are made & sound. 

A car maker adding / removing / enlarging a throttle body / exhaust section doesn't suit everyone, this gives everyone the option of some of what they want. 

It's just the same as dump valves and waste gate chatter on supercars - completely unnecessary, but "modified / added" to give a bit of drama. One uses pressure or flow, the newer, vibration. Same concept!

Just as steam replaced by diesel with trains.. not everyone want's a car to sound like an intercity 125 - but this gives them a little taste... I'm sure they could have considered a motorised flap in the exhaust system as with VXR's etc.. but this adds cost.

Guest Cossiecol

It's clear that this is a personal preference.

For me, I liked it on the TDI vRS I test drove prior to ordering. Will I grow tired of it-correction will I be told that I don't like it by the boss at some point who knows.

IMO it's a simple solution if for what ever reason I/we get tired of it, down to my mates garage in Stirling and have it disconnected.

Then please never watch a movie or tv show again - as every sound from footstep to gun shot is "fake"! 

But TV and Movies are fake. My car is real.

I'm lucky enough to also have a V8 as a toy with not much in the way of silencers to muffle the noise, so a small speaker trying to pretend doesn't feel right to me. But comparing a movie to something that you interact with more than just sight and sound is not a real comparison. So sorry I will continue to watch TV and Movies because they are fake and I expect them to be.

PS. Is that your MK2 Cavalier SRi in your picture? I wanted one of those so bad in the 80's, great cars.

Edited by Stumpage

I had a 135i M Sport DCT Convertible (so the previous gen chassis to the current 135iM Hatch you mention but the same N55 engine).

The exhaust was not artificially enhanced at all, and still sounded INSANE! This is where I don't really understand the point of the technology, so you put a straight 6 turbo that sounds absolutely sweet from low end rumble to high end scream @ 7k rpm and then feel the need to tweak it afterwards?

For me sound actuators are to make performance diesels sound better (and like the sports vehicle it behaves as), anything else doesn't make sense.

Yeah my Dad has the M135i and some time ago did have a 135i M Sport Coupe auto (regular ZF 6 speed not the DCT box) the 135i sounded nice but the M135i sounds alot better.

Honestly the sound generator on these cars is really unobtrusive and you'd never know the additional cockpit sound was artificial without reading about it.

Part of the issue is that the F20 series is considerably better soundproofed than the old E80 models and whilst the M135i sounds immense from outside not much of that sound gets into the cabin without opening a window or some "help".

I think they are a great idea when they work and are not unobtrusive, but utterly pointless when they do the opposite. Just look at the new Clio 200, the sound generator in that is just a complete waste of space, should of spent the development money on making the front end less ugly!

Edited by pipsyp
  • Like 1