Sound actuator.....opinions.

What's your opinion on this new feature. Not really covered at all on YT. Would be nice to hear the difference.

Should be enough of them about now to get a good mixed review.

Well in mine being a diesel you don't get to hear it much as its been setup to work when you rev it and you need to go 4k+ to hear it which you don't need to do in a diesel. But if I didn't know it was there i'd probably think its the engine actually making that sound..... it doesnt sound bad at all so i'm not bothered by it.

But there's others on here who were ready to slit their wrist as soon as they read about it so i'm sure they'll be along soon to tell you how it'll cause the space-time continuum to unravel....

• Like 1

TBH I'm not sure you'd pick it up on YT.

I only really notice it in sport mode where it's loud enough to cover the diesel (sorry!) noise. It's not, to my ears anyway, overly fake. Just a gruff type note really. That said when in eco mode you can hear the diesel engine and then you notice the obvious change in tone and that the noise is a bit "weaker".

I thought you'd be able to turn it down/off in the car mode setup but theres no separate option for it as it's included in the engine setup which also includes the throttle response. Select Eco for the engine and it turns the sound do-da off but it also deadens the throttle too.

I'm with Neily (not literally) as even in sport mode you only really notice it when you stomp on the right pedal.

If you've watched videos of the new Focus ST I'd say that that's way more in your face than the Octys sound.

I know thats a bit like oranges and lemons but I can't honestly say I've seen a video where it's that obvious on the vRS.

Correction - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd40J7ZgjaU

Just after the minute mark, you'll hear it when he stomps his right foot.

Edited by Mike999vRS

On my car its a nice sound under light/medium acceleration, it is simply the engine noise just louder not a different sound and is a nice throaty noise.

However, under hard acceleration the speakers cant handle it in my car and sounds awful in the higher sound brackets. Iv spoke to the service manager and he's looking into switching it off for me

However, under hard acceleration the speakers cant handle it in my car and sounds awful in the higher sound brackets. Iv spoke to the service manager and he's looking into switching it off for me

Eh? What's the speakers got to do with it?

Vibrating thing? I'm pretty sure it's a device that amplifies engine/induction sound and puts it through the car speakers.

Nope, not even close. It's a device attached to the bulkhead under the windscreen that for want of a better word "vibrates" to create the impression of engine noise/vibrations.

Edited by Neily03

Sound aside (some may like it), the bad thing about imho is that it introduces additional vibrations into the chassis/cabin. We're all adamant that we want our cars rattle free and then we go ahead and put intentional rattles into them. Defies logic if you ask me!

If they would simply put the sound through the speakers (and a choice of on/off), that would've been the best solution I think.

• Like 1

We'll modern day cars insulate better so manufacturers have to come up with new ways to transfer noise and feedback straight to the driver. BMW, Porsche there all at it. Just different technologies with the same outcome. Contrary to many thoughts it's not a soundtrack played through the speakers. It's actual engine noise and vibration enhanced and channelled straight into the cockpit at the touch of a button.

Contrary to your thoughts, it isn't actual engine noise. It's just a round vibrating "thingy" you have next to the bulkhead, right underneath the windshield.

It's as fake as a vibrator compared to the real thing! :P

PS: Then why insulate cars at all? Lets all drive in stripped out cars, WRC style. :)

Pretty much all European car manufacturers have a similar way of inharncing the internal sound of their cars, they call it driver experience. Apparently us Europeans like dymanic cars and due to all the fuel savings and other car performance restraints they have been forced to engineer the sounds we like back in.

Interestingly the Japanese like their car to be as close to silent as possible..

So these gizmos are our fault!

Either way looking forward to playing with mine in 4 weeks, hopefully.

• Like 1

When a boy racer puts a backbox on their car (and not a full system) all it does is make it sound faster. It's just as fake, and in both cases it's just extra vibrations. I don't buy the purist thing here really as it's still a component of a car designed to make you smile that little bit more, as above and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than motorised valves in exhausts which many couldn't justify the cost of. I expect that similar feelings are expressed re. laminate flooring vs. real wood flooring. Cost, application and overall experience.

If your buying a diesel and your a petrolhead (and I am), friday night cinema (big exhausts, big sounds, big effects) is the way to go.  For authentic I can drive my 3.2 petrol V6 with straight through system in a 32 year ascona/Cavalier! So both ideals co-exist, it's not one or the other. I don't expect my microwave to work like our rayburn, but both have a place, and if the microwave looks a little fake "retro" to fit in with the Mrs kitchen ideas I don't think it's a bad thing. That's all the cars are doing.

Take a listen before you judge too. I too thought it was going to be some terrible casio watch gimmick. I forgot it was a gadget unless you specifically listen for it so they have done a pretty good job considering.