Xenons flicker now and then.

my xenons seam to flicker now and then, kind of flash off and on quickly, sometimes on a bump or when progressivley accelerating.

any ideas what to check for?

MKII VRS Estate

Rob

When I drive over a bumpy road my lights sometimes does similar, it doesn't turn off as such just flicker on the road.

I dunno if its just me but it seams to be happening more often.

I dunno if its just me but it seams to be happening more often.

Is it happening more often because it is getting darker and you are using the lights more often or just in general?

The is one road I drive on a lot that I can always make it happen, just put it down to being a "character" of the lights but if anyone knows different let us know :)

Mine do the same. It seems more when cornering and hitting a bump that does it. I put it down to the compression on the rear making the sensor think there's a load in the boot and dropping the beam level for an instant. Pleased mines not the only one!

Mine do the same. It seems more when cornering and hitting a bump that does it. I put it down to the compression on the rear making the sensor think there's a load in the boot and dropping the beam level for an instant. Pleased mines not the only one!

Ah I did'nt think of that, I'm seing it more now as its darker yes but its done it since i've had it.

I do waorry every time it happens though lol.

I used to think the same until I found out it was the auto-level feature in action which was giving the illusion of "flicker".

I was on the lookout for it again this morning (06:00am) and my left one deffinitley goes off and on again.

it has to be linked to the leveling as its fine on level roads.

No - it won't be that.

Auto-levelling isn't quick enough for that.

There seems to be a misconception that auto-levelling lights mean that you can go over bumps, or climb hills and the lights will auto-level - this isn't the case.

The auto-levelling systems are there for if you've loaded the rear of the car, so they level the lights so you aren't blinding oncoming traffic, however they will not auto-level your lights as you're travelling up-hill and down-dale.

• Like 1

No - it won't be that.

Auto-levelling isn't quick enough for that.

There seems to be a misconception that auto-levelling lights mean that you can go over bumps, or climb hills and the lights will auto-level - this isn't the case.

The auto-levelling systems are there for if you've loaded the rear of the car, so they level the lights so you aren't blinding oncoming traffic, however they will not auto-level your lights as you're travelling up-hill and down-dale.

I didn't say anything about hills. The lights react quick enough that when accelerating hard in a low gear the beam drops as the rear of the car drops or the nose rises. It's a simple system when the difference is measured between the height of the front and rear sensors and adjusts the beam accordingly. When cornering and travelling over a bumpy road, typically a country lane for me, is when I typically see this happening, and more so when turning to the left. I don't know which side the sensor is on but I'm guessing the offside rear wheel has one. The auto levelling is much quicker than the usual halogen headlights adjuster.

Mine constantly adjust, you can see it when traveling slowly over speed bumps.

Yup, mine do this! Reaction pretty quick to be fair. Speed bumps and acceleration etc.

I didn't say anything about hills. The lights react quick enough that when accelerating hard in a low gear the beam drops as the rear of the car drops or the nose rises. It's a simple system when the difference is measured between the height of the front and rear sensors and adjusts the beam accordingly. When cornering and travelling over a bumpy road, typically a country lane for me, is when I typically see this happening, and more so when turning to the left. I don't know which side the sensor is on but I'm guessing the offside rear wheel has one. The auto levelling is much quicker than the usual halogen headlights adjuster.

Seriously - they don't.

The auto-levelling system adjusts for large weight in the car that would force the lights into a position where they would blind on-coming traffic.

They simply do not adjust as the car is driving along.

I do not know what you are seeing - but you are NOT seeing the auto-levelling equipment adjusting lights as you corner and accelerate hard.

OK, I'm going to bow out of this discussion - I'll let people do the research and make up their minds etc.

All I can tell you, for definite is that the auto-levelling system which a car factory fitted with Xenons will have does not adjust "on the fly".

Accelerating hard or cornering will not cause the system to kick in - the system is simply not quick enough for that.

If it cannot adjust when you travelling up an incline for a "long time" then why assume that it can adjust if you take a corner in a spirited manner?

This isn't just guessing, this isn't just hearsay - this is how the things work.

On the Xenon equipped vehicle the small dial that a halogen user has to adjust beam height is removed. So a halogen user with a heavy load in the boot can blind on-cling traffic.

The requirement for the auto-levelling to be fitted with Xenons is there to stop that situation - as being blinded by Xenons is a lot more serious than being "attempted to be blinded" by halogens.

They take the manual option away from you.

A couple of people have mentioned some kind of levelling whilst driving. I do not know what you are seeing, but it isn't the auto-levelling system kicking in.

I've been driving around in my own Xenon equipped vehicle for long enough to know the characteristics - and going over speed bumps, going up-hill and cornering all have the ability to dazzle on-coming traffic as the auto-levelling doesn't adjust whilst in transit - it would not be able to do it quick enough so it doesn't even attempt to.

Anyway - it's gone off-topic from the original question. All I'm saying is that what the OP is seeing will not be caused by the auto-levellers as they won't be making any adjustments whilst in transit.

• Like 1

Seriously - they don't.

The auto-levelling system adjusts for large weight in the car that would force the lights into a position where they would blind on-coming traffic.

They simply do not adjust as the car is driving along.

I do not know what you are seeing - but you are NOT seeing the auto-levelling equipment adjusting lights as you corner and accelerate hard.

OK, I'm going to bow out of this discussion - I'll let people do the research and make up their minds etc.

All I can tell you, for definite is that the auto-levelling system which a car factory fitted with Xenons will have does not adjust "on the fly".

Accelerating hard or cornering will not cause the system to kick in - the system is simply not quick enough for that.

If it cannot adjust when you travelling up an incline for a "long time" then why assume that it can adjust if you take a corner in a spirited manner?

This isn't just guessing, this isn't just hearsay - this is how the things work.

On the Xenon equipped vehicle the small dial that a halogen user has to adjust beam height is removed. So a halogen user with a heavy load in the boot can blind on-cling traffic.

The requirement for the auto-levelling to be fitted with Xenons is there to stop that situation - as being blinded by Xenons is a lot more serious than being "attempted to be blinded" by halogens.

They take the manual option away from you.

A couple of people have mentioned some kind of levelling whilst driving. I do not know what you are seeing, but it isn't the auto-levelling system kicking in.

I've been driving around in my own Xenon equipped vehicle for long enough to know the characteristics - and going over speed bumps, going up-hill and cornering all have the ability to dazzle on-coming traffic as the auto-levelling doesn't adjust whilst in transit - it would not be able to do it quick enough so it doesn't even attempt to.

Anyway - it's gone off-topic from the original question. All I'm saying is that what the OP is seeing will not be caused by the auto-levellers as they won't be making any adjustments whilst in transit.

Mine must be broken then.

On the other hand they do look as if they flicker when the headlight wash kicks in.

Are your headlamps set to auto or on? In auto mode sensor on the windscreen might be getting false reading when dirty/splashed and momentarily switch off as if you were coming out of the tunnel before triggering back on. Happened to me few times around winter last year, washed the top of the windscreen and it has not returned since.

I agree with stoofa

Have gone from normal halogen headlamps(with HID kit) to original xenon I donnot see any diference in normal day to day driving.

Only a few times had load on rear, 2 kids and one adult and some stuff on the boot, noone seemed to be blinded so I guess the leveling system was doing its job.

One thing I found to be diferent is that I personally find the HID give more light (lumens) than original xenon.

Sorry the off topic

Going back to the main issue, is the headlamp fixed properly?

Shouls see if the bulb holder, a ring that comes apart, is fixed properly. Doing this you will also see and refix the bulbs plug along with the ballast.

Edited by alberg

On the other hand they do look as if they flicker when the headlight wash kicks in.

Its not flicker but the light being temporarily blocked by the washer nozzle and then the water. I had the same thing on my non xenon equipped Octavia with washers. FiL 3 MPS with xenons exhibits similar behaviour.

Its not flicker but the light being temporarily blocked by the washer nozzle and then the water. I had the same thing on my non xenon equipped Octavia with washers. FiL 3 MPS with xenons exhibits similar behaviour.

Yeah I guessed that

Check for error codes in VCDS. My friend had the same problem and we found that the leveling sensor in the lower arm was faulty. The error code read no or incorrect adaptation.

• 3 weeks later...

Gonna get mine scanned by VCDS soon just to check but I can 100% say I can see my level change.

The placed where I walk my dog is a car park up a short (40ft) gradient, If i leave the car park and point car down the hill and stop the car you can clearly see the beam raise, same when i reach the bottom of the hill and slowly enter the level road it drops slightly.

Now I thought the same that it couldnt change "on the fly" but something is deffinitly moving / adjusting.

Rob