Bye Bye Vrs

I am seriously considering ditching my Fabia vRS, after only 5 months. I too am disappointed with the handling, oil consumption & most of all the headlamps. I think there are too many issues with long term reliability, to merit keeping it long term. Trouble is I, ve only been offered £10, 500 in px for a 12 months old Cooper JCW. 3 grand is a lot to lose for less than 6 months. But what do you do? Cut your losses or hang in there. Webuyanycar.com only offered me £9300. Doesn't appear to be a great deal of confidence out there.

Story of my life - when I wanted a vRS, they were rarer than hen's teeth. Now I want to sell it seems they are ten a penny. Ah! Well such is life.

Just like to echo sharkrider's comments, had mine 7 months and done 6,000 miles.

Used 1l of oil between 2,000-4,000 miles but that's it, other than the engine is a peach 40mpg easy and it's pretty quick, although if it was a little older I'd be mapping it.

Handling isn't great, but the RARB makes a world of difference, can't wait to get the Eibach's on to complete it.

Agreed with the interior being a bit rattly, mine has an annoying sweet wrapper noise near the light switch, but then I remember its £250 a month on a 3 year PCP with 10% deposit and what other quick automatic could i get for that?  

I am seriously considering ditching my Fabia vRS, after only 5 months. I too am disappointed with the handling, oil consumption & most of all the headlamps. I think there are too many issues with long term reliability, to merit keeping it long term. Trouble is I, ve only been offered £10, 500 in px for a 12 months old Cooper JCW. 3 grand is a lot to lose for less than 6 months. But what do you do? Cut your losses or hang in there. Webuyanycar.com only offered me £9300. Doesn't appear to be a great deal of confidence out there.

Story of my life - when I wanted a vRS, they were rarer than hen's teeth. Now I want to sell it seems they are ten a penny. Ah! Well such is life.

Sell it privately.  I have NEVER traded in a car or sold one to the trade - you always get ripped off.  When the Mrs' last Octavia went, webuyanycar offered £1,000.  The dealer wasn't interested at all.  We sold it in Auto Trader for £2,500 and had people phoning day and night (one guy called at 10.30pm and asked if he could come from Birmingham right there and then!).

New to skoda in may. Fabia VRS 62 plate. Love the acceleration etc but oil consumption terrible. Has had new bottom end 6 weeks ago to cure but has failed miserably, 800 miles and low oil warning light. May also look to reject car after next visit to workshop in November if not sorted. Pity as like the car.

You don't have to own a Skoda to be welcome on here fella

Stick around, you obviously like it here

And Auric, thats fantastic you regard the Citigo as highly as you do...

Testament indeed :) 

• Like 1

Tony, It would be interesting to hear how you get on with the Fiesta in  day to day use. I'm thinking of replacing my VRS with the 125bhp Fiesta EcoBoost. The car does seem to get very good reviews and ticks most of the right boxes. My only concern is that I'll miss the power delivery and convenience of the TSI/DSG engine and gearbox combo (even though I'm not a fast driver).

Edited by little_mike
  • Like 2

Running in was gentle, kept mainly below 3000rpm in first 500 miles then gradually pushed it up the rpm range but only in the first 4 gears, too fast to be anywhere near legal in 5 6 and 7. Not sure about exact change but Skoda said it was the entire bottom end, not just the pistons. Got the car at 2500 miles, no oil on stick after 1200 more, put a litre in then ran again for a further few hundred. then new bottom end at 4700 and by 5500 miles nothing on dip stick again. First time round skoda adamant that engine had a problem, second time it is now apparently normal to use nearly 1 litre in under 800 miles. Get the feeling they are not keen to sort the car properly.

My running in was quite hard. Let it get up to temp normally then drove harder. I was hitting the limiter in 2nd going down up the slip road home from the dealer. Mine used a few bottles for the first 10k then I noticed that after a service the level after they put 3.6 litres in was bang in the middle of the two marks. Done over 20k now and after keeping it to that level it hasn't used much at all. 

• Like 1

Neilvrs,

just ask Skoda UK in writing what the Warranty work carried out on your vehicle was & ask for a copy of the Invoices from the Workshop that did the work.

Ask what Skoda UK is going to do to get the Warranty Work properly carried out by competent technicians.

Get them to arrange the up lift of your car and a proper replacement until the vehicle is fit for purpose.

the figure in hand books is the possibility of oil usage at 0.5 litres per 1000 km,

, that is not an acceptable amount and not the officially accepted by them amount.

If the engine has 3.6 liter of oil in, and then needs 1 litre of a top up before 900 miles of driving normally,then they know the engine has faults.

Get them to do another Consumption test if they want,

but while they have the car and you have a courtesy car.

Or get a replacement vehicle, not some Short engine installed in yours.

(and no written proof of work or what work having been done. THe service book should have the details and it is all on the Skoda UK Data base or should be.)

RE Running in

and 5th 6th 7th being above legal speed limits,  then thats odd, a vRS in 'D' can be in 5th at around 35 mph, and 7th before 50 mph,

& can run fine at 70 mph at between 2000-2400 rpm.

3000 rpm and above under acceleration was never going to do harm to an engine. It would have helped things.

Manually holding gears with a Twincharger & a DSG  below 5th on a 7 speed box is an odd running in technique IMO.

All the best with it.

george

Heading for the consumption test again next week. will see what happened this time. Last engine on the test was 0.7 of a litre in 250 miles according to their figures. Wonder if I can better it with this one. Will wait and see

George

Forgot to say on running in , was in D and did up to 70/80 as it stayed below 3000rpm so used all the gears. Just meant unable to get higher in the rpm range in the high gears unlike in the lower ones that you can easily have fun with.

Do hang around and let us know what the fiesta is like.

I want to change mine early next year and considering the Fiesta ST - although really need the 5 doors but will do a 'kids' test in the back.

No firm plans yet, looking at loads of things (mainly in my mind) and not stepped in a dealership yet.   Not sure if i want to keep the same size (mine is the 2nd car in the household) or go for a Octy type size car or something completly different - maybe the new Yeti ?   My experience with Skoda so far has been very good.  No issues with my vRS although only do about 4,000 miles per year in it.   Great value for the money and great performance too.

Look forward to the Fiesta review...

• Like 1