DPF fault after only 120 miles

My car did its first regen today after 300 miles. It was evident as I got stuck in traffic during and the car was idling at 1000rpm, the stop star stopped working and I could smell the dpf heating up. It did seem to finish ok before I got to work.

My question is, when this happens should I get some kind of symbol or warning light up as I didn't notice anything?

My car did its first regen today after 300 miles. It was evident as I got stuck in traffic during and the car was idling at 1000rpm, the stop star stopped working and I could smell the dpf heating up. It did seem to finish ok before I got to work.

My question is, when this happens should I get some kind of symbol or warning light up as I didn't notice anything?

The only time you should get a light is when there is some sort of fault with the system or the DPF needs to be cleared.  Otherwise no lights just the increased rpm, rad fan staying on when the car is switched off  and some times a smell.

My opinion is that Dealers should simply gut and map out DPF's as soon as the first fault is detected with one. They are a legal necissity for manufacuture and sale of new diesel vehicles, but just an added liability for owners.

Forgive my ignorance (I have driven diesels for 10+ years but never, yet, one with a DPF) - what is the law on this?  Is it legal to remove the DPF and re-map as necessary?

If so, what other snags might there be in removing it?

I drive on motorways (or at least fast A roads) quite fast quite regularly so a DPF shouldn't need to do much on any car of mine but I would hate the expense of fixing a faulty one if you don't legally have to have one anyway.

Edited by Stuarted

Forgive my ignorance (I have driven diesels for 10+ years but never, yet, one with a DPF) - what is the law on this?  Is it legal to remove the DPF and re-map as necessary?

Classed as modifying the car perhaps so have to notify insurance ??

Over on the Fabia II forum there has been some discussion about DPF removal.  One reply put me off the idea and it's to do with the bits that the DPF filters out.

Anyone remember the Asbestos issues (which are still going on, just not so bad) 20 or so years ago?  The reason it's so bad because the fibres are too small for the human body to filter out.  The particulates in CR diesels are smaller - it's a "feature" of common rail diesels.

DPF removal/gutting cannot be checked for an an MoT test because the testing equipment is prohibitive to install everywhere (due to the size of the particles).

Removing the DPF never was an issue as it is used to get the emissions down to the right level for the type approval process. Once the car is sold then the manufacturer has fulfilled their part. Unless it has changed then DPF removal shouldn't affect the MOT as it only measures the emissions. 

The only time you should get a light is when there is some sort of fault with the system or the DPF needs to be cleared.  Otherwise no lights just the increased rpm, rad fan staying on when the car is switched off  and some times a smell.

Cheers pal, that reassuring.

I drive on motorways (or at least fast A roads) quite fast quite regularly so a DPF shouldn't need to do much on any car of mine but I would hate the expense of fixing a faulty one if you don't legally have to have one anyway.

From what I've been told it's basically the same as removing your CAT from a petrol car. A modification and should (I won't say will) fail its MOT / emissions test.

Ok - Thought I'd post an Update.

Car still with dealer :@

After lots of discussion between the dealer and Skoda UK Technical they have diagnosed that all 3 DPF sensors are working correctly but they are giving the wrong output....So that sounds to me like the item they are sensing (DPF) is faulty.

On Monday, they are having another go with the Factory at Czech Republic dialling into my car yet again to see if they can diagnose.

Given delays, I have written to SKODA UK Customer Services (not easy to find) to say fix by end of week or replace. The letter has had immediate response from both dealers (local and original supplier) so hopefully they will now resolve. 

What a sad start to a new car

Over on the Fabia II forum there has been some discussion about DPF removal. One reply put me off the idea and it's to do with the bits that the DPF filters out.

Anyone remember the Asbestos issues (which are still going on, just not so bad) 20 or so years ago? The reason it's so bad because the fibres are too small for the human body to filter out. The particulates in CR diesels are smaller - it's a "feature" of common rail diesels.

DPF removal/gutting cannot be checked for an an MoT test because the testing equipment is prohibitive to install everywhere (due to the size of the particles).

Just to correct you, the problem with asbestos particles is not so much their small size but the particles have minute spines which spear the alveoli in the lungs causing scar tissue which cannot transfer oxygen to the blood (asbestosis - asbestosis is not cancer, as is commonly thought) or spear the side of the lung and scratch the the smooth lining of the chest cavity which allows the lungs to move up and down the inside of the rib cage. This lining tries to repair itself, which encourages spreading of deformed cells (cancer) which is then mesothelioma. A ticking bomb for all of us that have worked with asbestos, (my own exposure is through ship repair and a marine engineer) I've lost several friends and colleagues through this dreadful substance. touch wood, clear so far. Edited by Timoctav

Ok - Thought I'd post an Update.

Car still with dealer :@

After lots of discussion between the dealer and Skoda UK Technical they have diagnosed that all 3 DPF sensors are working correctly but they are giving the wrong output....So that sounds to me like the item they are sensing (DPF) is faulty.

On Monday, they are having another go with the Factory at Czech Republic dialling into my car yet again to see if they can diagnose.

Given delays, I have written to SKODA UK Customer Services (not easy to find) to say fix by end of week or replace. The letter has had immediate response from both dealers (local and original supplier) so hopefully they will now resolve. 

What a sad start to a new car

Very similar symptoms to my father-in-law's Ford SMax. He has now been without his 3k mile car for over 3 months and he's only owned it since April when it was 3 months old! They keep replacing various parts, over £5k of parts so far! It has taken them this long to accept that they may have to replace the car, but last week they found it does not have the correct ECU fitted, part nos do not match what should be fitted to the 2.2 TDCi so now waiting for a new one to arrive tomorrow, if that does not work, it's new car time!

Just to correct you, the problem with asbestos particles is not so much their small size but the particles have minute spines which spear the alveoli in the lungs causing scar tissue which cannot transfer oxygen to the blood (asbestosis - asbestosis is not cancer, as is commonly thought) or spear the side of the lung and scratch the the smooth lining of the chest cavity which allows the lungs to move up and down the inside of the rib cage. This lining tries to repair itself, which encourages spreading of deformed cells (cancer) which is then mesothelioma. A ticking bomb for all of us that have worked with asbestos, (my own exposure is through ship repair and a marine engineer) I've lost several friends and colleagues through this dreadful substance. touch wood, clear so far.

Apologies for my lack of knowledge on the subject, Tim.

• Like 1

So - here we are again. 500 miles after the DPF was replaced and now still only about 750 miles since new.

First indication that a problem was afoot was the elevated rev's at idle (1000rpm) and very thirsty fuel consumption. I think it was trying a regen then 40 miles later the DPF light came on and back to Square 1.

As I was 120 miles from home, I returned home.  On return home the engine block light illuminated and then also the glow plug light started flashing. So now I have DPF warning and stop/start malfunction and ! on dash.  5 mins later it dropped power and I limped home the remaining 40 miles at about 45mph and max of 3000rpm.

Calling the dealer tomorrow as this is simply not acceptable on a Brand New Octavia Gen 3. Anyone else getting issues like this on their 2.0 tdi?

:@  :@  :@ :@  :@  :@  

post-109829-0-42696900-1385327275_thumb.jpg

post-109829-0-89167100-1385327276_thumb.jpg

The ECU change seems to make sense, but what damage has happened to the new DPF?  It does look like time to get rid as the car is not of reasonable quality or fit for purpose.

Thanks for your suggestions.  I'm getting the car recovered today, refuse to drive it further.

I'm planning to call the dealer as soon as I can and will press for a replacement vehicle.  I like the car a lot, just not this particular one!  Update to follow.

From what I've read, I would be inclined to agree - reject the car.  You've given them plenty of chances to fix the problems.  The problems may be complicated to diagnose or fix, but that's their problem, not yours.  You paid good money for a car which should work properly and be reliable. 

Fortunately you appear to have done the most important thing, which is to keep detailed records.

Too many other unhappy owners of cars seem to prefer just whingeing on foums instead of keeping detailed records of their problems, researching exactly what their rights are and then finding out who to make a formal complaint to and how to go about it.

Good luck and please keep us posted.
_ _ _

Note to other unhappy owners - keep detailed written records!