CAVE & CTHE 1.4TSI, Just reply please if you have had an engine replaced.

I hope all is well now.

That is the 2nd CTHE that has been reported on here as being recently replaced.

the 5th of a Briskoda Member that i know of from the forum.

& i now have heard of 14 in total.

So from only around 1,200 CTHE vRS sold in the UK it is not high and nothing like the failure rate 

of the 1,800 CAVE vRS.

Something owners need to be aware of, 

and checking spark plugs before the still 40,000 miles Service Schedule / Guidelines, 

and if keeping the car beyond the Manufacturers Warranty,

be sure to buy an Extended Warranty.

Skoda  / VW should be extending the Warranties for Free.

& making some statement on the Failures in the CAVE and now CTHE, given how few Skoda, Seat, VW & Audi have sold.

So come on.

Alasdair Stewart, Brand Director Skoda UK.

You like to announce increased sales, and other Skoda UK Market Information,

Make a statement on how you are going to do a Service Campaign on the Mk2 Fabia vRS, 

& let owners know how you will help.

There is a Launch of an 'All New 3rd Generation Fabia'  coming up in the UK.

Lets hope new buyers can trust Skoda & Skoda UK to resolve any Snagging Issues,

or issues they get warning of and 4 years later still do not acknowledge as being an issue.

• Like 2

Any recent replacement engines done,

or members waiting for Skoda, VW, Seat or Audi to approve replacement?

Just trying to compile numbers and Information for Skoda & maybe some response publicly as they launch 

the All New Fabias in the UK.

Maybe some Motoring Magazines, Editors or Journalists can ask 

Alasdair Stewart Skoda UK Brand Manager some questions on how Skoda UK have dealt with 

faulty Mk2 Fabia & owners in the UK.

Thanks to all for any further assistance and all i have already received.

George

George, I assume you have already counted mine but just in case, engine changed on September 25 2014.

Goes back in on Tuesday morning for the dealer to give it the once over and make sure everything is ok as it has now done 1200 miles since the change, I will check dipstick myself tomorrow but when last checked last weekend there appears to be no oil use at all which pleases me greatly.

• Like 1

George, I assume you have already counted mine but just in case, engine changed on September 25 2014.

Goes back in on Tuesday morning for the dealer to give it the once over and make sure everything is ok as it has now done 1200 miles since the change, I will check dipstick myself tomorrow but when last checked last weekend there appears to be no oil use at all which pleases me greatly.

Richard,

That's great news.

• 2 weeks later...

New engine in 16/10/14, so far oil level seems to be holding. However as oil level reads above max now and did when I first checked it I'm keeping Skoda UK waiting before saying all seems well. Once I reach that point its then the compensation discussion to cover over 18 months 2 Fabia VRS and 5 engines in total if including the original engine in each car. Happy days

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

My car is a 2011 '61' plate which originally had a CAVE engine. Car had done roughly 31k when I bought it in June 2014. Noticed car was using excessive oil. Spoke to Skoda Bedford, who were tremendous, took the car in and did an original oil consumption test. Also mentioned the car would need some breather modifications doing. Was told to do 300miles (1 weeks commute) and to book it back in with them. 2nd oil consumption test and breather mods done. Car was booked back in in a further 300miles (1 weeks commute) and confirmed it was excessive oil consumption. Car had engine replaced on 23rd September with a new CTHE engine but told that there was no warranty with the new engine.

Touch wood no issues so far but have cut commute down to 150miles a week. Still too much lol.

I absolutely love the car and the engine/gearbox combination is a real gem. Having to have the new engine replaced has not put me off the car at all but the lack of warranty on a new engine has.

• Like 1

They said it was using 650ml of oil per 300miles and also the fact that I had oil all over the rear of my car which turned out to be oil. At one stage I used to have to wipe the inside of my exhaust to remove some of the oil. The engine was supplied by Skoda UK.

Because I was new to the brand I just went along with what Skoda said as I don't know the ins and outs and that s all they said.

Is it normal to not get a warranty on a new engine if it was fitted even though car is out of warranty

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it is not the engine, it is the Gearbox.  (see post #216 in this thread)

you will see that it wants to change from 1st to second between 5mph - 10 mph.

If you need to crawl along, try putting it to 'S' and see if it just stays in 1st when going slow,  obviously gentle on the throttle.

(in 'D' it is trying to change up between about 2,000-2,4000 rpm,  in 'S' it might sit in 1st OK,  and when you get going 

move the stick forward to 'D'.)

?

Has your car Required the DSG Service Campaign work,  Synthetic Oil Changed to Mineral, & a ECU Update for the DSG.?

If not done, then check if your car is one that does need it,

it is free, and might or might not help.

PS

It can be a Clutch Pack or Mechatronic Control Unit issue, 

but hopefully not,

but even if it is Skoda are resonsible even if out of Warranty, 

they never did Recalls to check the DSG & the Mechatronic Control Unit like in NZ.

http://skoda.co.nz/news/dsg-service-campaign

Just a wishy washy Service Campaign was done in the UK, and lots of Owners still do not know,

and lots of cars have not had the 'Field Work' done, & Dealers not telling people,

some even selling cars, and not doing the Service Campaign Work before they go to a new owner..

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

That is still excessive oil use,  & a Failure that will really require a new Engine.

Keep your receipts to get the Oil you buy refunded.

As to the Service Campaign on the DSG.

The Dealer needs to check if your car Requires the Work & tell you, and you decide if you want it doing.

To keep the Good Will of Skoda / VW you really need to have it done once they tell you,

but if anything goes wrong, they are still responsible.

If the Service Campaign work is done already,

there should be a Note Made in the Service Manual, on the Skoda Computer System, 

& a Sticker in the boot to show it has been done.

• Like 1

I am sure you were as well.

They will quote what Skoda / VW / Seat / Audi say in the Owners Manual for every engine.

'May use 0.5 litres per 1000 km depending on driving style and conditions'    1000 km = 621 miles.  (1 litres in 1,242 miles then)

But that is nonsense because you are driving in the UK at National Speed Limits with no special driving style or conditions,

Just one of the 1,800 CAVE engine vRS they sold in the UK, 

& they know when they are using 0.5 litres in 1000 KM,  that engine is failing.

The Breather Mod & ECU does not fix it,

and after the Breather Mod & ECU update it still uses a Litre of Oil every 3 or 4 tank fill ups,  it is gubbed.

So if you want just keep topping it with oil, 

but maybe sooner than later a spark plug will oil up and you will have misfires.

Hopefully a Spark Plug does not fail, or a Valve Burn Out.

It is best to have it repaired by Skoda, because they know they need to.   Talk to a Technician that tells the truth, not some Service Manager.

• Like 1