CAVE & CTHE 1.4TSI, Just reply please if you have had an engine replaced.

Colin from Trans City refused me. i gave the car to them in june in warranty with the issue. it ran out a few days later.

so should be covered with the oil problem.

thanks. will keep you posted. might have to seek legal advice if this continues 

Was Colin from Trans City not working for Trans City who were doing the Work for Skoda UK,

the ones paying, getting the report, and answerable to you,

the cars owner?

He is very very wrong, it is not Data Protected, or the property of Skoda UK.

Ask Skoda UK for the results, in Writing.

• Like 1

Update since had new engine fitted 16/10/14. 1500 miles done and oil level remains above the max level. not sure how much extra oil is in there but seems to be ok. In final discussion with Skoda UK for compensation as been nearly 2 years 2 cars and 5 engines to reach this point.

Also re warranties, skoda UK state warranty only lasts as long as the original warranty and that if engine replaced with one month of the 3 year warranty left you will only get 1 month on the new engine. Would have thought this would be considered illegal and fall foul of trading standards and consumer rights laws.

Sorry to read of your continued troubles, if it helps our engine was changed 24 September 2014 and we were given 2 years extended warranty on the engine from the date of changeover, as well as 12 months labour warranty cover from that date so clearly you can state factual evidence of Skoda UK offering other customers extended warranties. Happy to provide name etc to you if needed for evidence.

Since the "oil breather pipe fix" I have clocked up 8450 miles and have used 5.75L of oil. When I left skoda's with the fix they said there tolerance is 0.84 per 620m.

I would suggest the oil breather fix hasn't been successful, your engine is still using 0.5l every 700 odd miles which is ridiculous in 2014. The tolerances that Skoda speak of are VAG's own artificially created figures, not industry accepted and verified as such. Worse than that, the guidelines are not specifically for the 132/136kw engine therefore cannot be said to be technically accurate.

I had a service manager at a dealer tell me that our car was borderline, even in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. I even had them trying to tell me they were known oil burners and not to worry about it, nothing to see here move along move along, nods as good as wink to a blind donkey patter.

I even noticed a Skoda Master tech who has changed 5 of these engines this year alone sticking to the script on another media platform today, indicating that 0.5l per 1000km was acceptable.

Stick to your guns, your engine is not going to improve and is only likely to worsen as clearly the problem hasn't been resolved. 

Best of luck.

• 3 weeks later...

I would suggest the oil breather fix hasn't been successful, your engine is still using 0.5l every 700 odd miles which is ridiculous in 2014. The tolerances that Skoda speak of are VAG's own artificially created figures, not industry accepted and verified as such. Worse than that, the guidelines are not specifically for the 132/136kw engine therefore cannot be said to be technically accurate.

I had a service manager at a dealer tell me that our car was borderline, even in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. I even had them trying to tell me they were known oil burners and not to worry about it, nothing to see here move along move along, nods as good as wink to a blind donkey patter.

I even noticed a Skoda Master tech who has changed 5 of these engines this year alone sticking to the script on another media platform today, indicating that 0.5l per 1000km was acceptable.

Stick to your guns, your engine is not going to improve and is only likely to worsen as clearly the problem hasn't been resolved.

Best of luck.

So was yours resolved? Mines going in again today for another consumption test. If they won't sort it this time they can buy the car off me for the going rate don't want a car that costs £10 a week on oil plus petrol

• 2 weeks later...

So was yours resolved? Mines going in again today for another consumption test. If they won't sort it this time they can buy the car off me for the going rate don't want a car that costs £10 a week on oil plus petrol

Sorry, been taking some time out from t'internet recently.

Yes, we got a successful resolution. We only bought the car on June 1 2014 but it became very apparent very early on that we had an oil burner, in fact it was averaging half a litre of oil used every 387 miles. Following the excellent advice received here from many people, but principally George (goneoffski) and Keith (vrskeith) I got the suspected issue listed with Skoda UK during the same month, and wouldn't let go once I had my teeth in. Perhaps our case was a little easier to fight as our car was still well within the 3 year warranty period, 12 plate cave engine.

To cut a long story short, we got a replacement engine fitted under warranty on September 24 2014, we got a 2 year warranty with that plus 12 months labour costs covered. We would probably have had the process completed sooner had it not been for some delays with the dealer carrying out the work, and then with Skoda warranty as they tried to source an automatic courtesy car.

We didn't even get offered an oil breather modification, dealer carried out one consumption test and ordered a replacement engine on the basis of those results. By that stage though I had already bombarded Skoda UK with data I had collected on the oil usage. It was incredibly useful to have the knowledge and experience of the people from this forum, many of whom had the misfortune to have to go through the process already.

I hope you are now further along the route to a replacement engine, it will be worth it to get the wee car running the way it was meant to. We have now covered almost 5000 miles since the change and the most recent oil level test carried out by me on Sunday past showed the level on the dipstick hasn't moved one iota. I'm starting to worry that they might have painted the oil onto the dipstick!

Good luck with your claim, hopefully you can get the replacement engine.

Edited by Sittingbull
  • Like 1

Richard that's good on going news.

Hope that you and the missus are having much fun with the Rocket.

Nicely run-in and able to enjoy the kick up the arse and much fun therein, weather conditions permitting.

• Like 1

I also just had an engine change after going thru 0.5 a litre every 600 miles. And to date i have done 1500 miles and the oil is also sittin full to the brim! Why oh why didnt they just make the engines like this in the first place ill never know, cause know am not concerned with how much oil i have in rhe engine and just enjoy drivin the vrs! 

• Like 1

Richard that's good on going news.

Hope that you and the missus are having much fun with the Rocket.

Nicely run-in and able to enjoy the kick up the arse and much fun therein, weather conditions permitting.

My wife is still living up to the nickname that the kids have given her when driving "Angus", they call her putt putt as they say she is slower than treacle running up a hill.

I on the other hand am having a ball, even with the weather we are having just now. Sound in sport mode going through the early gears is wonderful, very raucous and acceleration is very good. Obviously I wouldn't condone going above NSL on motorways or elsewhere, but I do recall George having mentioned that they quite like spirited driving occasionally, the odd burst to clear the tubes so to speak. So Angus has very clear tubes. New tyres have made good difference as well, now getting ready for Santa Pod and looking forward to meeting the good folks from briskoda, without whom we would be toiling.

• Like 1

I have nearly done the 620 miles and m taking the car back for is final consumption test today. Feel offended that Skoda said to me it could use up to 1L in 620 miles though. When most peoples are using hardly nothing in 5000!

Who at Skoda said that, & did you mishear them.?

'0.5 litres in 1000 km (621 miles) May be  used in some Conditions or Driving Styles' (paraphrase) is what is in Owners Manuals 

& that is for all VWG Engines, 44-136kw, 3 & 4 Cylinders, Petrol or Diesel.

Which is Nonsense.

But 1 litres of Oil being used in 621 miles is just pure wrong if anyone said that,

but oddly there are Members here that were told that. Sittingbull was told that i seem to remember.

If speaking to Dealership Employees ask them to go get in writing the Technical Documents saying what the Acceptable OIl 

use and Tolerances are.

& ask Skoda UK Customer Services to get the Technical Department to send you the figures for acceptable oil use 

with a 1.4 TSI Twincharger Engine as fitted to a vRS Fabia Mk2.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/315136-oil-consumption-test

Both VrsGeo & Sittingbull have had engines replaced and there cars are all good now.

It is a shame the Customer Service they first received before Skoda UK CS got involved.

*see post #30 on page 1*

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

Final test has been done and have been told it's used 0.33 of a litre in 620 miles. Looks like The only option is to sell it

Have you got your copy of the results?

Well i already said to you, or maybe it was to many others, that is the common result the test shows,

so that does not mean the Engine is OK,

Others have that result of Oil Useage, then need a Replacement Engine.

?

So can you please give me the Weights from the Official Oil Consumption Test,

Drained Oil Before Test & After Test and how it equates to 0.3 litres per 621 miles (1000 km)

Skoda just called saying in the 620 miles I drove it's used 0.33 of a litre.

(Times it by 3 is 620 x3 = 1860 Miles 0.99 of a Litre)

So in 9300 miles (1860Mx5) the car should use no more than 5L

I know mine has used 6.5L in 8500M which was my original complaint. Something doesn't add up!

They need to do more than say that it used 0.33 litres, 

Just ask them to Email a copy of the Test, Weight of Oil at start of test and after test.

They can easily copy the correct weights, but amazingly some Technicians get it wrong,

So seeing the Official Work Sheets and results signed off is really necessary.  Mistakes are made.  Too often actually.

Edited by goneoffSKi

Data Protection does not cover it,  because it is your car, so unless they are protecting the Employees ID / Signature, 

they are having a laugh.

Skoda UK can provide the First & Second Test Results because they commissioned them.

You own the car, and you are making a Claim under Warranty because of a fault and as it is a known fault.

Everything can be done,

you call or visit the CAB, they refer to the Trading Standards, 

they see about Commissioning an Independent Motor Engineers Report on the Engine,

and look at taking Actions against Skoda UK.

Or you deal directly with Skoda UK via a Solicitor if they are now not playing the game.

?

Who is the Skoda UK Customer Services Manager handling your case?

Edited by goneoffSKi

Data Protection does not cover it, because it is your car, so unless they are protecting the Employees ID / Signature,

they are having a laugh.

Skoda UK can provide the First & Second Test Results because they commissioned them.

You own the car, and you are making a Claim under Warranty because of a fault and as it is a known fault.

Everything can be done,

you call or visit the CAB, they refer to the Trading Standards,

they see about Commissioning an Independent Motor Engineers Report on the Engine,

and look at taking Actions against Skoda UK.

Or you deal directly with Skoda UK via a Solicitor if they are now not playing the game.

?

Who is the Skoda UK Customer Services Manager handling your case?

just wondering how these tests are carried out because with mine I had to drive 180 miles , not 620,

What I find frustrating in all this is that there is no definitive failure mode that has ben identified and made public or is common knowledge.

If it was a design flaw then this flaw would cause all engines to suffer from the same problem to a more or lesser degree depending on variables like driving style and mileage.

If an engine is using oil then there MUST be an explanation for it - its either burning it, using it or leaking it.

It will be either the crankcase ventilation, poor/loss of compression or damaged valve seats.

Compression issues can come from wrong oil, worn bores, damaged piston rings, HGF between cylinders etc.

Poor ventilation can cause excessive pressure to force oil past seals and rings

It goes on but there will be something causing oil use. 

Once the cause of use is determined then there will be an explanation needed for the component to fail - ie material quality, poor assembly or a bad batch supplied.

I personally would love to know what fails and why

No matter, a healthy engine should hardly use any oil at all - an amount so small that it's almost negligible. Certainly not on a mass produced engine.

I've had M3's that rev to 8000rpm, Cosworths running 30psi boost and Lancer evos making over 450hp and oil use was never ever a concern.

Ask for the Technical Information where it says that not using 0.5 litres in 1000 km means there is no problem 

with the car having high oil use.

There are cars that have been tested by Skoda Dealerships and have not used 0.5 Litres by their Calculations,

and still get the Repairs done under Warranty.

They are Draining an Engine, 

some can not even measure or weigh properly, and even though the VW Documentation gives the weight of 1 Litre of 

engine oil they can get it wrong.

0.33 litres is 285 grams for instance.