Sound generator rattle

Any updates yet on whether they have cured the problem and what the fix was?

This doesn't really answer the question, but iv spoke to the dealer today and I'm popping in friday to take someone out in it to show them. Armed with some information you guys have come back with also, so will share anything i find out.

Rob

Hi all, pleased to announce that problem solved, no more buzzing. Rainworth Skoda found that it was the ambient temperature sensor relay that was reverberating when the actuator was active. They found that the sensor is simply clipped in place into a hole near the wipers but it had a degree of movement. They replaced the clip with one that was more robust and stopped the movement......no more buzz! 

They have reported the fix to Skoda so should be available to other dealers. Once they found the problem was a 20minute fix. Good luck to everyone getting theirs fixed.

• Like 3

Hi all, pleased to announce that problem solved, no more buzzing. Rainworth Skoda found that it was the ambient temperature sensor relay that was reverberating when the actuator was active. They found that the sensor is simply clipped in place into a hole near the wipers but it had a degree of movement. They replaced the clip with one that was more robust and stopped the movement......no more buzz!

They have reported the fix to Skoda so should be available to other dealers. Once they found the problem was a 20minute fix. Good luck to everyone getting theirs fixed.

Fantastic news, rainworth skoda? Is that mansfield and part of bickerton skoda? I hope so as thats where I'm going haha.

I shall speak to the dealer friday

My dealer tried the fix today however with no success, the car is going in for the rear seat upholstery replacing so they are going to have a day on it then. Will update once done.

Rob

What's wrong with your rear seat upholstery?

What's wrong with your rear seat upholstery?

Has a pull in the seat, which has around a 3mm hoop with a long line visible. Rubbish seat material, but they are expecting new upholstery to take 6-12 weeks.

Has a pull in the seat, which has around a 3mm hoop with a long line visible. Rubbish seat material, but they are expecting new upholstery to take 6-12 weeks.

Just asked as I've got a lighter grey patch between where the leather dips into the back of the rear seat near the stitching it's like it's not been dyed correctly. I've not really had the time to take it back to the dealers.

Plus last time I took my FL back for the dodgy front bolster problem I think it was just as bad after the fixed it.

Also mine makes a speak rattle sound. Aware that the speakers do no generate the sound, however it sounds like a speaker rattle and is coming from the passenger side door/possibly be pillar area.

It's pretty hard flooring it whilst laying across the seats listening for a rattle, even with the lane assist steering for you!

• Like 1

Also mine makes a speak rattle sound. Aware that the speakers do no generate the sound, however it sounds like a speaker rattle and is coming from the passenger side door/possibly be pillar area.

It's pretty hard flooring it whilst laying across the seats listening for a rattle, even with the lane assist steering for you!

Yes thats the exact same as mine, reason why it was reasonable for me to think it came from the speakers. Hahaha yes that can be difficult.

• 5 weeks later...

Seem to be spending my time resurrecting old threads at the moment.

Looks like my sound generator might be starting to play up as well, noticed whilst I was overtaking someone doing 30mph on a 60 today.  Looks like it's back to the deal it goes, only just been in about a week ago.

Not sure if anyone has found a solution to the known rattle.

My car is waiting to be sorted however I have a pull in the fabric of my rear seat which is on order so going to have everything done at once.

So anyway...tonight while driving i did a little experimenting and found pressing the module with the sunglasses holder, reading lights and camera/wing mirror assembly it stopped the rattling under acceleration. Not sure how they will fix it.

Worth a try on peoples who has the issue and hope it helps.

Rob

Interesting - I didn't pay that much attention but I think it was happening when I had my sunglasses on (my "normal" glasses don't fit all that well in the glasses holder as they are much wider than the sunglasses).  I wonder if it was just my glasses rattling in the holder.

I shall have to have a play over the next few days, it's going ot be a few weeks before I can get the car into the dealers anyway, I've got a problem with the passenger side door handle as well so I'd needs to go in anyway.

• Like 1

Interesting - I didn't pay that much attention but I think it was happening when I had my sunglasses on (my "normal" glasses don't fit all that well in the glasses holder as they are much wider than the sunglasses). I wonder if it was just my glasses rattling in the holder.

I shall have to have a play over the next few days, it's going ot be a few weeks before I can get the car into the dealers anyway, I've got a problem with the passenger side door handle as well so I'd needs to go in anyway.

Its worth a try, you may need 2 pair of hands, i borrowed the misses and got her to press the whole unit which stopped it. There mechanic that came out with me thought it was trim but I wasn't sure but i think he's right.

I can always turn it off or down a bit with VCDS :-)

:D

As much as this might fly in the face of popular opinion, I actually quite like the sound generator. 

The way I look at it is that the car has a lot of sound insulation - driving round in the car without it would be 90% of the time just an earache.  I couldn't imagine driving round with a w**ker exhaust, just following a corsa 1.2 with a kitchen bin for an exhaust down the motorway the other day gave me a headache I'd hate to think what it was like in the cab.  However there are occasional times when it's quite nice so being able to switch it on and off is a nice feature and not too fake.

Thing is I have the vRS because I can't afford to have many cars and it's the best "multipurpose" for me.  If I had the money I'd probably still have an octavia estate but it'd more likely be a petrol elegance, I'd then have a load of fast cars as well.

Plus there's the whole if I've paid for it it should work thing :D

• Like 1

I do quite like it. Was out in my mates Polo GTI yesterday and it seems that has it also, and made me want mine working as it should.

As you've said its the thing of it has it so it should be working.

I like it on mine too, unfortunately some days it can rattle, its definitely coming from the area where the sound generator is its just a shame it's not more accessible....

I thought mine came from passenger side then misses said she thought was coming from drivers side, so she held centre console, then dash then sunglasses holder and finally then the whole cluster which stopped it.

Rob

I thought mine came from passenger side then misses said she thought was coming from drivers side, so she held centre console, then dash then sunglasses holder and finally then the whole cluster which stopped it.

Rob

Mines coming from the bottom of the windscreen but not in the cabin.  Going to try and get me hand in there today....