another MPG question..sorry

Black RS

New User !

Sorry..this must have been discussed time after time, but what is the general average miles achieved from a full tank from other Oct vRS user. I know the MPG can be misleading but i'm getting around 230-250ish with normal town driving and a light right foot. Right now the trip shows around 24.5mpg, 150miles driven, 80miles left. Warrenty runs out next Mar. so if there is any probs then it might be ideal to sort it out.

New User !

Sorry..this must have been discussed time after time' date=' but what is the general average miles achieved from a full tank from other Oct vRS user. I know the MPG can be misleading but i'm getting around 230-250ish with normal town driving and a light right foot. Right now the trip shows around 24.5mpg, 150miles driven, 80miles left. Warrenty runs out next Mar. so if there is any probs then it might be ideal to sort it out.

I've had mine about a month now, done about 1200 miles. I reset the trip computer when I got it and find I'm averaging about 31.5mpg. Put another way, with

Current average over about 2500 miles is 31.5

I have seen 50MPG on a trip once but generally you can see a maximum of 45MPG on a journy by driving very sensibly.

A 4am dash to the airport saw 21MPG over 32 miles the other morning though

I get about 330 miles from a

DRM_..

Just standard Tesco unleaded which is around 95 octs. It might be worth trying the 97 stuff as i've heard raves about it in cars with Turbo units.

I do think the mpg is low in my RS, the journeys around town are pretty short.

DRM_..

Just standard Tesco unleaded which is around 95 octs. It might be worth trying the 97 stuff as i've heard raves about it in cars with Turbo units.

I do think the mpg is low in my RS' date=' the journeys around town are pretty short.[/quote']

I would certainly recommend using 97 octane as the ecu allows more boost and more beneficial ignition timings (i.e. more power :D ) without risk of the fuel detonating early.

I have tried running with Optimax (95 octane with additives to boost it to 98 octane) but the results were inconsistent - you could sometimes get a 'bad' tank.

As for the economy - around town I tend to get 26mpg or so but it depends on how much lead I fill my boots with :rofl::rofl:. In stop-start heavy rush hour traffic I often see 19-20mpg :(

I would certainly recommend using 97 octane as the ecu allows more boost and more beneficial ignition timings (i.e. more power :D ) without risk of the fuel detonating early.

I have tried running with Optimax (95 octane with additives to boost it to 98 octane) but the results were inconsistent - you could sometimes get a 'bad' tank.

As for the economy - around town I tend to get 26mpg or so but it depends on how much lead I fill my boots with :rofl::rofl:. In stop-start heavy rush hour traffic I often see 19-20mpg :(

Yeah i totally agree with the inconsistency when using Optimax.. My brother has a Ren 182 and even he says that every tank returns different mpg/ total miles achieved (doing the same/similar journey every day). Thats what put me off topping it with Opti.

Has anyone tried the Tesco 98oct stuff on trial around the country ? Sadly the nearest one here is 80 miles away.

Yeah i totally agree with the inconsistency when using Optimax.. My brother has a Ren 182 and even he says that every tank returns different mpg/ total miles achieved (doing the same/similar journey every day). Thats what put me off topping it with Opti.

I christened it Dodgimax when I had my Impreza. A lot of people were swearing blind by it, but I still don't know to this day if it contributed my engine going pop under warranty - it had just been refilled.

I had a 200 mile trip to make 4 times a week and it was genuinely inconsistent between fills / garages. After the new engine I stuck to BP/Esso/Texaco SUL

Since this thread is here, can someone calculate this for me, my brain is a bit fried at the moment...how do you express 6.5 'litres per 62 miles' in 'miles per gallon' terms?

300 miles per 50 litres is what I get on 95RON...320-330 on optimax/ultimate.

Highest avg I've seen is 37mpg (65mph motorway driving)

Lowest avg I've seen is 19mpg (b-road antics)

Normal driving is around the 28-30 mark.

Since this thread is here, can someone calculate this for me, my brain is a bit fried at the moment...how do you express 6.5 'litres per 62 miles' in 'miles per gallon' terms?

Mil,

6.5 litres per 62 miles equates to 43.4 miles per (imperial) gallon

To calculate mpg:

i) determine the number of miles travelled per litre: In this case it is 62 [miles] / 6.5 [litres] = 9.54 miles per litre

ii) multiply the number of miles per litre by the number of litres in one imperial gallon i.e. by 4.55 [litres / gallon]. In this case 9.54 [miles / litre] * 4.55 [litres / gallon] = 43.4 miles per gallon

DRM_..

I do think the mpg is low in my RS' date=' the journeys around town are pretty short.[/quote']

You certainly should try and use 97, as the vRS is specified to use 98 octane. It'll run fine on 95 but isn't at its optimum.